The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Received my college diploma today!

nitroheadz28

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Aug 10, 2013
San Diego - NYC
Here is what I think of it (not meant as an insult to anyone with a degree of course, read on):

ygjr.jpg

My "enthusiasm" is not because it promotes a slowlane lifestyle or that I look down at the idea of getting a college education, but rather that my specific college experience was utterly miserable. For 4 long years my journey was filled with some of the poorest excuses of professors that I could even imagine on top of many other factors, granted it was my fault for attending this school. I had no other choices without moving or dorming (= debt), so I tried to make the best of it.

All in all I accomplished 2 goals I had before starting:

Get my engineering degree and learn a new skillset
Graduate without any debt (in fact more of a surplus since my grants covered everything and then some)

In retrospect I feel that apart from the specific engineering knowledge I've acquired, I've become less intelligent overall :bgh:.

Now is when I feel that my life has really begun. I've been educating myself aggressively through whatever means I can, and trying to find my path before I can commit to a specific venture (Finding this to be my greatest challenge at the moment. My idea muscle as James Altucher calls it needs more exercise, I welcome the process afterwards).

I would absolutely love to disprove the notion that engineers aren't fit for entrepreneurship. I need to stop trying to reinvent the wheel and just KISS- keep it super simple :)

PS- If anyone needs any input/ help on a design/ prototype feel free to PM me. Glad to help my fellow up and comers.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
To be honest, if you did it with no debt then you are better off than 99% of the others. You learned how to create money from nothing or worse, a void/blackhole, in retrospect.

In the end you don't have to go out and get a job to pay off your, well, anything.

I am a big downer on college because it puts people worse off then they were in the first place.
Congrats though. Use it for your own dreams instead of someone else's.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I would absolutely love to disprove the notion that engineers aren't fit for entrepreneurship.

Where did you get this belief from? If anything engineers have the potential to be great entrepreneurs.

To me, my college degree symbolizes my mindless conformity to societies socialization and my families expectations. It means I sat in a classroom and was able to mindlessly memorize information which 90% will be forgotten.

Probably the biggest thing I have ever learned in life is that people simply don't give a shit about you or your worthless diploma, they only care about how you can be of value to their selfish needs.

I have found that the farther away I get from societies BS, the more independent I become in terms of thinking, judgment and perception the happier I become.

I am a big downer on college because it puts people worse off then they were in the first place.

Exactly, if your gonna work at Starbucks after college then you might as well work there after high school minus all the crippling debt.

Will B. Rich

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Jun 25, 2013
Upstate NY
Congrats on finishing debt free and ready to conquer your fastlane dreams!

My biggest issue with college was everyone saying "this is the best 4 years of your life"... I just shake my head. Anybody who resigns to this thinking must be brainwashed to have no dreams, ambitions, or drive. When I hear BS like that I just remember I can try to figure out how to solve their problems and subsequently try to make each year the new best year of my life.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
It may have taken that 4 yr experience to get your mindset to this point. So it may have been worth it. Not many are ready to tackle the entrepreneurial world right out of HS. The real world BS of bogus classes or working at starbucks is often needed to motivate people.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
The only reason that it is considered the "Best 4 years" is because you can have frivolous affairs with women/men and garner no consequences. I'm about an hour away from Frostburg Uni. #3 party college in the US. Only reason I know that, a chick I was hitting on in HS was going there, for that reason alone. Needless to say, we stopped talking.

qewrtyass

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Apr 30, 2013
actually is not college i feel sorry most of.
but that damn 3 years dead-contract from my previous company.
leave me in mid 20 with mediocre money.
that 3 years could have been all my needed time to be a millionaire.

nitroheadz28

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Aug 10, 2013
San Diego - NYC
Where did you get this belief from? If anything engineers have the potential to be great entrepreneurs.

Eh I read it in a few places throughout my schooling. From personal experience, most of my peers have a case of tunnel vision and struggle to see the bigger picture in anything apart from what they're directly working on- I suppose that's what solidified that notion for me. I'm going to keep learning about marketing and business through these forums/ books/ other avenues so I can maximize that potential :). Thanks socal and speed +

It may have taken that 4 yr experience to get your mindset to this point. So it may have been worth it. Not many are ready to tackle the entrepreneurial world right out of HS. The real world BS of bogus classes or working at starbucks is often needed to motivate people.

Not in my case, in my intro post I specified that my initial slowlane dream was a lifelong ambition for me- and I'd still pursue it if I felt that it was the right thing to do. I always had a different method of thought and took pride in being a very independent thinker. Since my initial dream was ruined by things outside of my control, I decided that being stuck at engineering jobs wouldn't be for me- its more of my hobby.. So I decided that I'm going to work towards the thing I never had growing up in an abusive and shaky household- freedom.

But yeah having worked shit dead end jobs as a teenager like construction and being a waiter had already opened my eyes to what a life could be like if I failed to establish myself properly. Even with better income and status, I'd still have the 9-5 (or worse) with never ending co-worker drama and commutes that would just make me wither away.

Thanks everyone for the congratulations :thumbsup:, college had the potential to really be great. In comparison to me, my friend went to Penn State and I've been there several times on the party weekends. Let me tell you, the dorm life there is absolutely insane.. On top of the campus and classes which are rigorous and highly educational- just being there made me feel more intelligent lol. But... I graduated with a crappy experience with a great surplus in $$$ while my friend has around 150k in debt plus all the debt she's going to acquire from another 3-4 years of vet school and whatever else, so I think I got off alright despite 4 years of misery :smxF:. We've all been young and dumb once, we all want to enjoy our youth- college can be a great avenue for that under the right circumstances- not if you're digging yourself a hole of debt though. Like MJ says IIRC- work like most people wont so you can live like most people can't. While thats nothing in terms of the school comparison between my friend and I, I've been employing that lifestyle since deciding not to settle for the status quo.

Tom

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Haha that picture is hilarious. Today didn't seem any different than yesterday does it?

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk 2

nitroheadz28

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Aug 10, 2013
San Diego - NYC
Haha that picture is hilarious. Today didn't seem any different than yesterday does it?

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk 2

Well I officially finished classes back in may :p, I never even went to graduation. I just feel like an idiot because I took a *well deserved* break from late may to the beginning of august. I desperately needed it in order to get myself back on track mentally on top of straightening out a number of issues, but I wasted a lot of time. Since the beginning of august I've made myself 2 priorities:

-Gym membership and working on my fitness level (it wasn't bad, but I was starting to get a little tummy lol)
-Fastlane (enough said)

Needless to say these 2 things have consumed my life lately. Gym for 1.5hrs 4-5 nights a week and at least 8hrs of fastlane school daily :)

I just finished my 2nd book after TMFL today: "What Rich People Know & Desperately Want to Keep Secret" and it was a far cry from MJ's stuff, but still some useful information in there. I feel like I'm pushing myself too hard, my mind races all the time trying to think of ideas and nothing with potential seems to come to me. I scour the forums, twitter, people watch outside, as well as read read read and I'm waiting for that AHA moment :). Patience and persistence will get me there though, I need to stop trying so hard- my mind probably isn't conditioned to spot these things properly yet.

What concerns me as well is not when the next good idea will come to me, but what follows. Of course I've been reading a lot about marketing since its what can make or break you coming out of the gate, and feel like all the reading in the world wont get me where I need to be. As everyone here says, action!

So my question for you guys is whats the smartest/ most effective way to get myself marketing experience? I've been studying AM a solid amount especially after reading Laverdure's thread: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/fastlane/44565-1-year-later-now-what.html, Nosferatu's: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/we...rketing-guide-how-i-made-5k-w-1-campaign.html, and a number of others.

While I don't want to get involved for the long run because its not the way I'd like to run a business. But it seems like a good way to learn the ropes for a noob like myself so that eventually when I do have a product or service to offer, I can come out swinging and know how to attract traffic to wherever it needs to go+ make conversions happen.

If there's a better way, please advise :smx9:

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!