The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Real Estate Fastlane (cont.) vs. Internet Business

Hawk07

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Jun 16, 2010
Iowa
This is a copy of my post in the discussion titled "real estate fastlane". I wanted to open a new discussion up around the topic so I started a new thread. I was hoping for more eyes and responses on the new thread. The discussion was surrounding which path to take....real estate (residential/commercial) vs starting an internet based business....pros/cons/advice!

Everyone

I very much appreciate the discussion on this topic....is real estate fastlane....that has become which is faster/better....real estate or start a business (preferably internet). This is EXACTLY what has been my roadblock!!! You see, I am a full time employee who works an awful lot...and basically has a job where I do not have set hours (on call all the time). With such a limited amount of time and without knowing my schedule from day to day it is difficult to choose my exit plan.

My options are as follows:

1. Start with single family residential flips (buy low, rehab and sell): I will do this to generate capital to invest in commercial properties (mh parks and/or apartments). I know the real money and appreciation is multiplied with more units. I have helped remodel certain parts of my homes but have never done a rehab before, so working with contractors, etc will all be new to me and there will be a learning curve. It may take more work and time at first, but it is eventually able to be scaled to a certain degree if you replicate your rehab materials/workers/etc.

2. Start with commercial deals. I am mostly interested in investing in MH parks and apartments....mostly MH parks though. But, what is holding me back? CAPITAL! If I found a solid deal on a 80 lot park for say $800k, where am I going to get the money to put down...160k or do a seller carry back for $80k...so my down stroke is still $80k. These are the deals that you can only find one deal and you are out of the rat race....JUST ONE....and I know this. Do I go straight into this and try to find one deal and partner with a money partner?? It seems to make sense to me...why play small ball if you know its just a means to an end? Im ready now.

3. Internet based business. I have a pretty good idea of a business that could definitely be scalable and which would benefit a whole lot of people. It will be based off a technology that is soon to explode. I can see the benefits and how it would work, but of course i HAVE NO Internet experience or website building experience. I would not even know who to approach to help me launch the site. I do not need to know everything about websites and marketing....as I can hire people to help me with that....but I do have a solid understanding of the underlying players on the business side of things. At the same time, I have a couple of acquaintences that do have some MAJOR successes with starting, running and selling internet companies to conglomerates that take them public. Do you approach those friends right away and say....hey, I have an idea....or do you try to develop idea and then approach them?

***With my limited free time and unscheduled work commitment***the internet based business is attractive because I can work on it from my home...at any time....anywhere...so it will fit with my schedule. The rehab business would demand more outside time/travelling/managing from different areas...so it would be hard from that viewpoint. The commercial business could be worked from home in terms of marketing...evaluating deals....offers....etc until it came time to do due diligence on the parks....then I would have to travel and spend alot of time in the park and looking at the financials/inspections/etc.

FOCUS - I am looking to determine which path to take. Once the decision is made, I will focus 100% of my allocated free time on the project. What do you say?

DO I

1. Rehab business - find, fix and sell?
2. Commercial investments - find, contract, partner or seller carry?
3. Internet Based Business - Plan, delegate to experts, manage and grow business

Internet business and Commercial has the biggest bang potential no doubt as the rehab biz is just the means to get into Commercial. But, the internet business, would provide the ends itself.

You guys are the experts as you have all been successful in one of these areas.....I would like your opinion......I will choose my path and report my results as I go along!

Now, what would you do?

Hawk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sswift

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Mar 11, 2010
Miami
This is my answer to your question in the previous thread...

if you dont have capital or experience in rehabbing or commercial, why not start off by wholesaling properties to stack some cash. After you flip a couple houses/commercial, then you can start rehabbing yourself. You can even ask some of the investors you worked with while wholesaling to help you rehab your first couple properties! I would also recommend that you create a landing page (lead generating) website to attract motivated sellers. While doing this, you are also learning web-design, so that once you have capital, you can make other websites for your other business ideas.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I combine both. I have learned quite a bit in the last year about using the internet. I already have rentals and do some rehabs. So I decided to combine the two and I use my knowledge of the internet to promote my real estate stuff. By doing this I control my marketing of my properties. It works for me.:cheers:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.