The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Quick Introduction

Alexandrel

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Apr 1, 2024
Hi all,

Glad to join the forum! Can't wait to read more of it.

I'm doing decently well in the Slowlane by being an engineer who saves and invests a good chunk of his salary. As much as I enjoy being helpful and not just staying at home doing nothing, the job is just a job, and the 9-5, 5 days a week feels like a prison to me.

For many years after my studies I've resisted "having a job like everybody else" and preferred partying, meeting people, traveling, enjoying my youth and energy, overall deciding what I do with my time. Maybe it's an age thing (32 now, started a "real job" about 3-4 years ago), but after a while, it felt very empty living that way. The need to do something other than for myself appeared. Hence the engineering job. The money was also a motivator.

Entrepreneurship has been in my mind since at least college, but I guess it wasn't enough of a necessity until now.
Now I'm at a crossroad where I'm re-evaluating what I want in life and I clearly recognize that I'm not on the right path. Feeling kind of whipped into submission into the Slowlane. F*ck that.
Not having to worry about money, helping others in a way that I can enjoy is part of the goal. Just not sure what I'll do and how. Hence joining the forum. I'll contribute how I can and am sure many of your posts will be helpful !
I've read a few posts about more philosophical questions such as "I've got all the money I'll ever need, now what?". That will interest me a lot too.

To the pleasure of discussing with you all !

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Alexandrel

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Apr 1, 2024
Hey RightyTighty,

Thanks for your input!

My work is to automate processes in plants, distribution centers, food manufactures, pretty much anywhere; and keep them running. It's called control systems engineering.

Funny enough, I have no appealing idea as to how automate a business based on that. Besides going on my own, which is hard since it takes a team of skilled people to succeed in these projects. I'll think harder about it.

I'm open to suggestions if anything comes to mind.

RightyTighty

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 31, 2023
Arkansas
My work is to automate processes in plants, distribution centers, food manufactures, pretty much anywhere; and keep them running. It's called control systems engineering.

You’re in a great field! I had an electrical/mechanical consulting firm for many years and we were a part of numerous such teams as you describe. Although you’re not directly engaged in every aspect of each project, you are gaining invaluable overall experience and systems integration. Within the domain of this experience, there are at least two paths to glory:

If you are more interested in the business/corporate aspects of CSE, learn more about how projects are defined and managed, and how teams are assembled. And I recommend you contact @ZCP to set up a meeting.

If you’re the more typical hands-on engineer, product development is an option. Check out the Inventors Meetup; we meet every couple of weeks and dig deep into everything from ideation to prototypes to marketing. Especially take a look at what @NIK4658 is doing with microprocessors to create products.

Of course you’re not limited to the field of engineering, but whatever you decide, start NOW. Execution is king – get busy!

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA

Alexandrel

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Apr 1, 2024
Thanks to both of you. I sent you a DM @ZCP

I guess you were talking about this meetup @RightyTighty :

Question / discussion, I didn't see it asked yet and it's probably a question many people have:
Waiting for all the stars to align before starting is definitely not the way to go, but is there such as thing as starting too early?
As if going on a long hike without checking the weather before, the main routes, potential places to sleep, etc is likely to lead to a painful experience. For business, I would imagine getting some knowledge about accounting/finances, basic legal requirement for LLC, etc will avoid loosing momentum after starting.
Is that mental masturbation or is there some things to know and consider before blindly starting?

RightyTighty

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 31, 2023
Arkansas
Question / discussion, I didn't see it asked yet and it's probably a question many people have:
Waiting for all the stars to align before starting is definitely not the way to go, but is there such as thing as starting too early?
As if going on a long hike without checking the weather before, the main routes, potential places to sleep, etc is likely to lead to a painful experience. For business, I would imagine getting some knowledge about accounting/finances, basic legal requirement for LLC, etc will avoid loosing momentum after starting.
Is that mental masturbation or is there some things to know and consider before blindly starting?
Execution is everything; you should learn as you go. There is an incredible amount of new things to learn, but if you’re bootstrapping the monetary risk is low. First decide what direction you wish to take (service, product development, e-commerce, other) and jump in.
Message me if you would like to talk.

Visida

Banned for using AI
Feb 2, 2024
Las Vegas
I understand you completely. It's a common feeling when you start asking yourself questions about your path and true desires. It's important to realize that you are not alone in this. Try to start with what you feel inside and allow yourself to explore different possibilities. Develop your interests, connect with people who inspire you, and don't be afraid to experiment. Time will tell where it will take you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...