The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Project Amazon- My eBook Journey

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
1. Athletic Body in 90 Days with Weights- 1 (???)
2. Athletic Body in 90 Days with Calisthenics- 15 (and first customer review)
3. From 0 to 30 Pull Ups- 4

Try having the benefit in the titles, rather than just "athletic body"

So for example, why do I, your target consumer, want an athletic body? Nobody really cares about having an athletic body, what we care about is: impressing our friends, attracting women, beating our friends at racquetball, showing off at the beach... etc

You'll sell more books with an emotionally based result in of using your book in the title, especially in that niche.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
The 90 days with weights one has a pretty terrible title IMO. It works for calisthenics because calisthenics is kind of unique. When I read "Athletic Body in 90 Days with Weights" it makes me think "well obviously I'd need to use weights, does this guy think I'm an idiot?" I think everyone has a basic idea of how to build a good body with weights, and that's why it isn't selling. I would change the title to something along the lines of what the guy above said.

G

GuestUser116

Try having the benefit in the titles, rather than just "athletic body"

So for example, why do I, your target consumer, want an athletic body? Nobody really cares about having an athletic body, what we care about is: impressing our friends, attracting women, beating our friends at racquetball, showing off at the beach... etc

You'll sell more books with an emotionally based result in of using your book in the title, especially in that niche.
Athletic Body in 90 Days- Get a body that turns heads

How does that sound?

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
My most profitable demographics are older men 55+...yours may vary.
Why not try to title your book for a subset of the audience such as the example above?

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Why not try to title your book for a subset of the audience such as the example above?

"Westside for Skinny Bastards" comes to mind.

"Athletic Body in 90 Days for Skinny Bastards"
"Old Dude's Guide to Having a 25 Year Old Body"
"The Asian Get-Ripped Guide"

So many ways to niche and repackage the same thing.

G

GuestUser116

Idk which sub niche will have buyers, making it less specific will pull more buyers.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Idk which sub niche will have buyers, making it less specific will pull more buyers.
Go niche to get rich.

"If you try to be everything to everyone, you won't be anything to anyone!"

It's just an experiment anyway. Can you literally take the same book and republish it under a different, more niche title? Then it will be no harm no foul, right?

Last edited:
G

GuestUser116

Alright, "Athletic Body in 90 Days- Get a body that turns heads. A guide for the average American"

No competiton in this sub niche.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Hows that working for you so far?

Alright, "Athletic Body in 90 Days- Get a body that turns heads. A guide for the average American"
So your sub niche is "average american"... ? What is an "average american" and will this speak to them more than what you already had before?

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
What is an "average american" and will this speak to them more than what you already had before?

Emphasized "speak to them"

Pick a niche, and then talk DIRECTLY to that niche. Ideally, that niche is a pretty big constituent of your total audience.

Let's say you pick "Skinny Bastards". The copy almost writes itself for your blurb:

"Skinny Bastard's Guide to an Althetic Body in 90 Days: Become An Object of Desire

You're skinny. I get it. It sucks, doesn't it? Well, just because you were born that way doesn't mean you need to STAY that way. Even if you tried "working out" before, I guarantee you can TRANSFORM your body in just just 90 days.

You will start to see veins popping from your arms. For the first time, you will feel your muscles stretch the sleeves in your chest. You will finally be an object of desire. For the first time in your life, YOU will be the one turning heads.

Suddenly, making eye contact with that cute blonde across the bar won't seem so hard.

Whether you're skinny because you sit inside playing video games all day, because you've never worked out, or because you have some weird congenital disease, THIS BOOK WILL HELP YOU TO TURN YOUR BODY AROUND."
Let's swap it for fat people now:

"Fat Bastard's Guide to an Althetic Body in 90 Days: Become An Object of Desire

You're fat. I get it. It sucks, doesn't it? Well, just because you have been fat for years doesn't mean you need to STAY that way. Even if you tried "working out" before, I guarantee you can TRANSFORM your body in just just 90 days.

You will start to see your belly go down. Veins will start popping out of your arms. For the first time, you will feel your muscles stretch the sleeves in your chest...and it won't be because you're putting on weight again.

You will finally be an object of desire. For the first time in your life, YOU will be the one turning heads.

Suddenly, making eye contact with that cute blonde across the bar won't seem so hard.

Whether you're fat because you eat donuts all day, because you've always been that way, or because you have some weird congenital disease, THIS BOOK WILL HELP YOU TO TURN YOUR BODY AROUND."​

That took me 5 minutes, so it could probably be tightened up. But it's likely a lot better than your existing, feature-filled copy; rather than specific benefits driven copy:

"Get an athletic body in only 90 days with calisthenics aka body weight exercises. No need for a gym.

This book has programs for the beginners, intermediate, and advanced. For guys and girls. For the young and the old. Calisthenics exercises for beginners, intermediate, and advanced, how many sets and reps to do, how often to work out, it is all in the book. The book is short, simple, and straight to the point. It has an introduction to calisthenics, why calisthenics will get you an athletic body in 90 days, and 3 programs in full detail.

Buy now and get an athletic body in 90 days from the comfort of your own home!"

G

GuestUser116

Emphasized "speak to them"

Pick a niche, and then talk DIRECTLY to that niche. Ideally, that niche is a pretty big constituent of your total audience.

Let's say you pick "Skinny Bastards". The copy almost writes itself for your blurb:

"Skinny Bastard's Guide to an Althetic Body in 90 Days: Become An Object of Desire

You're skinny. I get it. It sucks, doesn't it? Well, just because you were born that way doesn't mean you need to STAY that way. Even if you tried "working out" before, I guarantee you can TRANSFORM your body in just just 90 days.

You will start to see veins popping from your arms. For the first time, you will feel your muscles stretch the sleeves in your chest. You will finally be an object of desire. For the first time in your life, YOU will be the one turning heads.

Whether you're skinny because you sit inside playing video games all day, because you've never worked out, or because you have some weird congenital disease, THIS BOOK WILL HELP YOU TO TURN YOUR BODY AROUND."
Let's swap it for fat people now:

"Fat Bastard's Guide to an Althetic Body in 90 Days: Become An Object of Desire

You're fat. I get it. It sucks, doesn't it? Well, just because you have been fat for years doesn't mean you need to STAY that way. Even if you tried "working out" before, I guarantee you can TRANSFORM your body in just just 90 days.

You will start to see your belly go down. Veins will start popping out of your arms. For the first time, you will feel your muscles stretch the sleeves in your chest...and it won't be because you're putting on weight again.

You will finally be an object of desire. For the first time in your life, YOU will be the one turning heads.

Whether you're fat because you eat donuts all day, because you've always been that way, or because you have some weird congenital disease, THIS BOOK WILL HELP YOU TO TURN YOUR BODY AROUND."​

That took me 5 minutes, so it could probably be tightened up. But it's likely a lot better than your existing, feature-filled copy; rather than specific benefits driven copy:

"Get an athletic body in only 90 days with calisthenics aka body weight exercises. No need for a gym.

This book has programs for the beginners, intermediate, and advanced. For guys and girls. For the young and the old. Calisthenics exercises for beginners, intermediate, and advanced, how many sets and reps to do, how often to work out, it is all in the book. The book is short, simple, and straight to the point. It has an introduction to calisthenics, why calisthenics will get you an athletic body in 90 days, and 3 programs in full detail.

Buy now and get an athletic body in 90 days from the comfort of your own home!"

The book works for both skinny Sams and fat Freddys. So just choose one of the two and ignore the other??

With Calisthenics averages out to 1-2 sales a day (no marketing); It's not a sub niche, explain that.

G

GuestUser116

Mind giving us an update on the dollar amount sold?

Looks like you're making amazing progress!
Thanks.

I've made around $60, 2.5 weeks in the game. One of my books is unpublished and will be republished soon.

Now I'm working on a new book. "Hollywood Physique"

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
With Calisthenics averages out to 1-2 sales a day (no marketing); It's not a sub niche, explain that.
The word calisthenics is the keyword in that title.

People interested in calisthenics are more interested in buying your book because is speaks to them. This is the most specific of your titles which is why it sells the most.

With that being said 2 sales a day is like $5 a day so lets not get ahead of ourselves and act like this is earth shattering results that prove you are doing it right.

Targeting niche markets via demographics (as has been recommended) is only one way to niche down, including keywords in the title (as you have done here) is another. Your second best seller is the pullup book, the reason is "pull ups" is your keyword that is getting people to buy the book. Both of these titles are better than the other book because they more specifically callout to the target audience who should purchase the book.

With all that being said your results are minimal because theres still a lot you can improve on.

If you want to pay for traffic (etc.) you could make your generic titles work, other fitness gurus have already proven this can be done. However on amazon that strategy isn't going to work for you right now. You need to be more specific and really speak to your audience, this isn't going to happen using "Average joe" and other terms that you are currently going for.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
The word calisthenics is the keyword in that title.

People interested in calisthenics are more interested in buying your book because is speaks to them. This is the most specific of your titles which is why it sells the most.

With that being said 2 sales a day is like $5 a day so lets not get ahead of ourselves and act like this is earth shattering results that prove you are doing it right.

Targeting niche markets via demographics (as has been recommended) is only one way to niche down, including keywords in the title (as you have done here) is another. Your second best seller is the pullup book, the reason is "pull ups" is your keyword that is getting people to buy the book. Both of these titles are better than the other book because they more specifically callout to the target audience who should purchase the book.

With all that being said your results are minimal because theres still a lot you can improve on.

If you want to pay for traffic (etc.) you could make your generic titles work, other fitness gurus have already proven this can be done. However on amazon that strategy isn't going to work for you right now. You need to be more specific and really speak to your audience, this isn't going to happen using "Average joe" and other terms that you are currently going for.

Rep x-ferred.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
How does someone find your books in the amazon store?

Are all these purchases from people searching keywords in the search box? Are they seeing them as new releases? When I go to new releases there are only big names, I don't see any of yours?

G

GuestUser116

How does someone find your books in the amazon store?

Are all these purchases from people searching keywords in the search box? Are they seeing them as new releases? When I go to new releases there are only big names, I don't see any of yours?
Search "athletic" my book is the first on the list. Search "calisthenics" it's the 4th on the list.

G

GuestUser116

Updated and republished book #1- Athletic Body in 90 Days- Get a body that turns heads. A guide for skinny dudes. (link)3D cover.png

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Really surprised "calisthenics" is the leader here. Seems like a word from the late 70's ... like "Get a rocking body with Jazzercise!"

That's why the market is such a fun toy, it always surprises you.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Really surprised "calisthenics" is the leader here. Seems like a word from the late 70's ... like "Get a rocking body with Jazzercise!"

That's why the market is such a fun toy, it always surprises you.
Calisthenics and Bodyweight fitness are on the rise these days.

CrossFit and "functional fitness" has made a lot of gymnastics andBodyweight movements more popular again.

10 years ago who cared about muscle ups? 5 years ago who could do them? Now I see people doing them all the time.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
earch "athletic" my book is the first on the list. Search "calisthenics" it's the 4th on the list.

This is really a great opportunity you shouldn't miss, all the more reason why you might want to think about taking a benefit oriented approach with all of your titles/subtitles. Right now, IMO, they're just kinda flat. That type of change could spell % gains in the 100's, perhaps 1000's.

Some of the suggestions made above are good, such as...

The Skinny Dude's Guide to an Athletic Body in 90 days or Less.

G

GuestUser116

New release- Hollywood Physique (link coming soon)

Attachments

• 3D cover.png
    3D cover.png
    119 KB · Views: 43
Last edited by a moderator:

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
New release- Hollywood Physique (link coming soon)
View attachment 8065

Re: Titles/Images/Market
Are you intending to target males only?

This cover in particular is very male driven. Women also want a hollywood physique, and women tend to dominate the self-help book customer base. I believe the last statistic was ~70% of all self-help products are sold to women. The actual statistic is in this slideshare somewhere.

(EDIT: To be clear, I am not saying to NOT target a certain gender...only trying to get you to affirm one way or the other. Women buy these kinds of books more than men, and tend to be a good demographic overall in self-help.)

Re: Covers
I think the designs can be improved. They look a bit amateurish, which may be off-putting. Don't know if you can get covers designed professionally without a budget though.

Re: Copy
Try to be more specific in your copy.

Compare:

"Learn how actors rapidly get fit before a movie and how you can too"

TO

"Learn how actors like Christian Bale can lose 50 lbs in a few weeks, and how you can too."

Last edited:

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I've made like 20 different designs and none look good.
Is there no one in the philippines/india/pakistan/eastern europe you can hire to pump out designs for you?

These guys can work for $2-$4 an hour, especially if you plan to hire them full time for a month or more.

It would also speed up your writing velocity, as you wouldn't have to mess around in photoshop anymore.

G

GuestUser116

Is there no one in the philippines/india/pakistan/eastern europe you can hire to pump out designs for you?

These guys can work for $2-$4 an hour, especially if you plan to hire them full time for a month or more.

It would also speed up your writing velocity, as you wouldn't have to mess around in photoshop anymore.
I tried a few different people on fiverr before, amateurs and "pros" with like 2k orders and mostly all positive reviews, they made garbage covers.

On what site can I find legit cover designers for $5 /cover?

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I tried a few different people on fiverr before, amateurs and "pros" with like 2k orders and mostly all positive reviews, they made garbage covers.

On what site can I find legit cover designers for $5 /cover?

I hate fiverr, personally. Filled with a lot of noise. Very little signal.

If I were you I would shoot over to oDesk or eLance and make a post saying you need book covers designed.

Say you will be rolling out a lot of books, and testing different covers over time and need someone who can work with you to make the initial design, then make tweaks over time.

Put in that you will need 20+ hours a week.

A good designer, with a good grasp of english can do a cover from scratch in a couple of hours, and make minor tweaks within minutes.

I suggest sticking to Filipinos. I had the most success there. Say you will only take Filipinos in the posting title.

See what kind of bids you get in terms of hourly rates. I just hired a Filipino at $2/hour for 20 hours/week.

Remember, these people are looking for regular work so they will happily take a lower hourly wage ($1.50-$2.00/hour) to have a regular project and employer.

My opinion: make the post, see what bids you get. Look at their previous book cover designs and see if they're good. Make sure their english is good. Pull the trigger and hire them for a trial project and see how it goes.

Last edited:

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Glacier, how are you getting these photos for your cover? Are you buying stock photos so you have the rights to use the photo on your covers or how are you doing that?

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
Hey man...I like all of the action that you are taking.

Are you going to try paid advertising?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.