The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Post office is losing 25m per day.. can we group buy?

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
I do not know how the post office works but i heard it losing 25 million per day...

US Postal Service Losing up to $25 Million Per Day - Yahoo! News

Now immediately im asking myself can we negotiate with them if we make decent sized orders.

If some of us grouped together and we went to them with a 500k guaranteed order or much bigger, could we pay maybe 50% of normal prices? Does anyone have experience at the post office or know who needs to be contacted? If we all got our mail pieces created at one printing place and shipped from that local post office we could get massive printing reduction prices as well. This was just an idea, direct mail still works if you do it right, especially at half the price.... just an idea may be dreaming though...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 5, 2011
The government is such a worthless organization. All business--except for international and domestic security, along with courts to protect against fraud--should be private.

More specific to this topic: just let the USPS go bankrupt, and let real businesses like FedEx or UPS deliver our mail.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
the USPS gets somewhat of a bad rap. they have been required to pre-fund all future benefits funds by 2016 so theyve been paying over $5billioin a year for a total of ten years til then. That is what is causing much of the trouble in addition other factors.

What other government agency has its future liabilities pre-paid? Govt has ripped off trillions out of SS etc... What business has 100% of future benefits pre-paid? Taxpayers bail out pensions all the time from failed companies through the pension benefit guarantee fund.

Any politician who points to the USPS as mismanagement should be slapped for totally mismanaging taxpayer funds, racking up 16 trillion in debt.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I shipped our family Christmas presents and vacation clothes to Hawaii using the USPS. They gave me an ETA of 3 days before we were to arrive, and I paid for delivery confirmation just so I knew when they would get there. TEN WEEKS after we returned from Hawaii, the boxes were returned on the eve of me doing a story with the local news station. The boxes looked as if they had survived Armageddon. Nobody at the USPS could explain to me exactly what happened.

But, having good luck with the USPS for business purposes on dozens of packages daily, I fell for it again. I shipped a few thousand dollars worth of merchandise to a large retailer, Priority Mail with delivery confirmation. The packages never arrived, and the USPS could not identify what happened to them after we left them at the USPS counter in Minneapolis. They simply cannot track packages. One is still missing several weeks later.

They deserve to go out of business. All of these clowns, on the taxpayer's salary, and they frankly don't give a shit. No accountability, no job loss even possible for them as they are protected through their union that we pay for, and an extremely subpar product.

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
Every shipping company has its issues. I dont understand why people hate on the USPS so much. The other companies charge more than double for some services.
Ive had bad experiences w/ UPS and FedEx (drivers pulling up to the house, never getting out, and the tracking shows as nobody home), nothing is perfect.

I am curious as to how they are losing so much money though.

Rain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 5, 2011
Yes, all businesses have problems, but UPS and FedEx exist because of market demand, while the government steals from taxpayers to merely sustain USPS.

There is a huge fundamental difference between existing with merit and existing because you rob your customers mafia-style to ensure you stay in business.

Rain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 5, 2011
Because we pay an obscene amount of taxes to a government that still can't even balance its own books. The USPS is just one arm of the government that is generously hemorrhaging taxpayer money.

Private business does virtually everything better than government, because the necessary incentives to perform exist. Further, if someone demands that you pay them money for a service you did not request (much less need or want), and then proceeds to threaten you if you don't pay, I'd consider that to be robbery.

Just because it's "legal" does not mean it's not theft.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
Well it looks like the government unions days might be numbered. Since the Wisconsin made it so government employees no longer have to join the union and their dues are no longer automatically deducted but you can opt in they have lost up to 50% membership for some unions. As soon as people realised how much money they were paying they decided it wasnt worth it any more.

Now we need to do this for lots of other government spending programs.

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
No doubt some things about unions need to be restructured...but to do away with them (especially teachers) is taking things too far.
Government employees who dont join a union are a little short sighted...people forget that corporations and people in general are greedy, the pendulum can swing in the exact opposite direction (too few benefits) quickly.
Nobody wants to meet in the middle.

Idella

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
May 26, 2012
Chinatown, Philly
Last thing I heard about the Post Office is that they were going to be closing a few locations because of such issues. The ladies at one of the post offices I go to were complaining about possibly losing their jobs.

Maybe it's the flat rate shipping? Or the Free Boxes and Labels people are constantly taking from there and not using to ship in. Printing isn't cheap.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
thank you for providing this information .
this type of information help to many people.

try to tell me about more .

Mr. Jon Smith.

Me help you long time. Me show you boot up a$$. Information helps me thinks. Points of spam should be awarded by Mr. Demarco MJ to me. You thanks for spam links back. No to tell more. Hole of a$$.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fermovian

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jan 19, 2009
Vancouver, BC
No doubt some things about unions need to be restructured...but to do away with them (especially teachers) is taking things too far.
Government employees who dont join a union are a little short sighted...people forget that corporations and people in general are greedy, the pendulum can swing in the exact opposite direction (too few benefits) quickly.
Nobody wants to meet in the middle.

Unions should not exist for government services. Even Franklin Roosevelt thought that was inappropriate. In many areas they have a monopoly and they wield power that is not earned through doing a good job, but through their ability to manipulate the government, which until recently has not been punished for allowing them to run amok.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.