The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Paleo Lifestyle

G

Guest12120

theag
I think I learned about Bulletproof Coffee from you. Thanks!

I've been drinking it for 2-3 weeks now. I don't follow the diet religiously, but I try to eat grass fed meat if possible and keep it low-carb. We'll see on Monday if I lost anything. I was definitely going through carb withrawal last week, so I guess I'm on the right track.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I don't follow the diet religiously, but I try to eat grass fed meat if possible and keep it low-carb

Me too. Can't afford all the high quality food right now. But bulletproof diet is really just paleo with the only difference of very high quality foods in the bulletproof diet. So we're pretty good ;).

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I've gained a pound since yesterday. The only variations were that I had lunch from Chipotle (veggies, carnitas, pico de gallo, lettuce, guacamole), and that I had 2 cups of sweet potato in the evening (was really sleepy so I realized I was low on carbs).

As today was my day off from Insanity, spent the day doing errands (like buying more grass-fed beef and some good bacon, and I also became partial temporary owner of a cow so I can get raw milk once a week).

Kerrygold is delicious. Problem is, there seems to be a couple of 'theags' around here stealing all they can from the stores. It is getting tough to find it, especially the silver package one (unsalted).

I introduced yesterday the bulletproof coffee to a couple of co-workers. They seem to be hooked.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
This is the graph with my weight change this year.

Since the last week of December I started reducing bread and pasta, but had the typical sub and sandwich every other day or so.

After reading this thread, decided to make the switch to paleo as strict as I can, and learning through the process.

True be told, I did not weight myself between the 10th and the 19th, but I am sure that I flatlined around that time and then saw pounds drop on the 16th, the next day after starting paleo. I have also been trying to incorporate IF slowly, still learning how to do it right. So far I've done a 14 and a 15 hours fasting, and the weekends really disrupt any progress.

Peso.jpg

peso-table.jpg

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Kerrygold is delicious. Problem is, there seems to be a couple of 'theags' around here stealing all they can from the stores. It is getting tough to find it, especially the silver package one (unsalted).

Haha! Yeah the butter fridge in the store looked pretty empty when I was gone, I took about 90% of the kerrygold. And as it was saturday the store was really filled, so there were about 15 people squeezing around me, wondering what I was doing ;).

You said you're now part owner of a cow, which sounds great! Why don't you try to find a local farmer that produces grass-fed butter? Should be possible if you even found somebody that gives part-ownership of a cow. I read from a few people on the bulletproof forum that local butter oftentimes tastes even better than the imported kerrygold (maybe because its not frozen for transport?). Thats what I want to do to avoid going to Germany every few weeks with a big backpack, but the farmers here only start producing their own butter around April.

Might be the same for you as the climate is pretty similar around D.C. and you now have snow like us here in Switzerland?

Oh and by the way, the gold packages I posted are the unsalted ones. I haven't even seen salted or silver packages. Do you have different packaging in the U.S.?

Edit: double-post from the other fitness thread:

I gained 6lbs on the scale from yesterday to today

I lost those again on the next day. Must have been an outlier. Yesterday I lost half a pound. Today another half pound (despite having a carb-refeed yesterday). Now at 199.96lbs. Lost approximately 12lbs in the last 2 weeks since I started going relatively strict paleo :). If this isn't the best diet/lifestyle then I don't know what could be :)

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
OK, today is day 13 of my paleo - Almost IF diet.

I am taking the bulletproof coffee in the mornings.

I usually have two lunches with lots of meat (usually beef or chicken) and lots and lots of salad (avocado, tomato, onion, cilantro, peppers, sometimes celery, arugula, etc). Usually around 1:00 pm the first one and 4:00 pm the second one.

I then do the Insanity exercise around 6:30 pm, and after either have some eggs and ham, or more chicken, or a whey protein shake (in water).

I am not seeing more weight lost in the past 3 or 4 days. I am plateauing at around the 163lb mark (yesterday was 163.4, today 163.8).

I am feeling more tired around 6:00 pm so obviously I am doing something wrong.

Will need to make adjustments and see what I need to change.

How you guys doing with your progress?

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Andiv - I'm not huge into the exercise knowledge but it sounds like perhaps you may be eating too few calories?

Paleo by it's very nature is pretty calorie light and working out usually demands more energy intake, from my understanding, and if you are tired that might be indicative of that.

I hope someone with more knowledge might chime in though.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Paleo by it's very nature is pretty calorie light and working out usually demands more energy intake, from my understanding, and if you are tired that might be indicative of that.
Yes, I agree with this. I know I need more energy to sustain the workout.

However, if this the case, I should also be losing more weight during these days when I am more tired, and that is not happening.
This is what has me confused so far.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada

Again, not an expert, but is it possible your body is going into "starvation" or "famine response" mode and slowing down your metabolism?

I mean, if you are actually at a calorie deficit you SHOULD be losing weight, regardless, but this may be slowing down that loss by a substantial rate.

machin576

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Sep 7, 2012
Your fat intake might be low on that diet. I bought the kindle book Paleolithic Slow Cooker: soups and stews. It has some great recipes that are very filling. I have enjoyed cooking them and I feel very healthy.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Andres, you're exercising too much. If you have time, watch those videos, or at least the first.

[video=youtube;2PdJFbjWHEU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PdJFbjWHEU[/video]
[video=youtube;4rNm4kSl3Og]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rNm4kSl3Og[/video]

To sum it up: you will make the most progress with only one very hard and very short (10min) workout per week, because in all other cases your body doesnt have enough time to recover, especially with something like insanity.. Sounds rediculously short, but the science makes sense.

I'm changing to this workout style now because the first video convinced me, will have mine on saturdays. I'm reading the guys book "body by science" now. Btw, this workout style is also recommended by the author of bulletproofdiet.

Also, whats your goal? 163lbs is already quite a low/normal weight. I think I would look like I could break apart at 160. Do you want to lose even more bodyweight? Whats your bodyfat % like?

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I agree with the idea that you might not be eating enough fat, especially considering the amount that you are exercising . Since your body is in fat burning mode, if you aren't taking in enough fat to keep up with energy demand, your body will compensate by lowering your metabolism.

Try increasing your fat intake (a few eggs in the morning, maybe some bacon on your salad, a few nuts) by 10 or so grams per day to see if that pushes you along further.

Also, don't forget what we've all heard about working out and increasing muscle (which weighs more than fat), so you could just be gaining muscle.

A better measurement of progress is a measuring tape, if you haven't already done that.

Good luck :)

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
whats your goal? 163lbs is already quite a low/normal weight. I think I would look like I could break apart at 160. Do you want to lose even more bodyweight? Whats your bodyfat % like?
I am 5'7"
My body fat, based on one of this device Amazon.com: Omron HBF-306C Fat Loss Monitor, Black: Health & Personal Care is around 20-22%

My first goal is to drop 10lbs of fat and then, after finishing Insanity in 7 weeks, switch to Crossfit 3 days a week and bulk up with mass.

A better measurement of progress is a measuring tape, if you haven't already done that.
you are correct. I have not done it yet. I do see more definition in my legs, so I know some muscle weight is there. Visually though, some fat I saw disappear the first week is there again this week, and this combined with the lethargic feeling I am getting lets me know something is off.

Theag, I will watch the videos this afternoon. Thanks.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Well, finally got my DEXA scan done. Can't add all the details cause I forgot the print out at the office but all in all was interesting and now I have a baseline.

As I mentioned, my body fat using the bio-impedance device at home registers around 22%.

Dexa scan says 30%

I think total body mass was 73.2 kilos and 30% of that was pure fat. Bone density was great.

When I get the whole results with me I will add it, but for now the lesson is how unreliable the other methods are.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
but for now the lesson is how unreliable the other methods are.

yeah, I think most of us would be pretty shocked to see how much of us is really just fat...

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Yes, I agree with this. I know I need more energy to sustain the workout.

However, if this the case, I should also be losing more weight during these days when I am more tired, and that is not happening.
Andres ~

You may find this Robb Wolf Podcast helpful. He addresses the variations that different people need to make to Paleo, based upon their body type, fitness objectives and activity levels.

Edit: LOL. I just followed my own link to find that it only takes you to his main podcast page. I think it is #169, his very first podcast, to which I was referring.

Last edited:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
You may find this Robb Wolf Podcast helpful. He addresses the variations that different people need to make to Paleo, based upon their body type, fitness objectives and activity levels.
Thanks Jill. Are you following Paleo too? Still doing the 'chipotle' diet ala tim Ferriss? Good results?

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Thanks Jill. Are you following Paleo too? Still doing the 'chipotle' diet ala tim Ferriss? Good results?
I followed the slow-carb (ala Tim Ferris in The 4-Hour Body) off and on for 2 years. Yes, I was pleased with the results. Lost approx 70 lbs! I say "approx" because I've bounced around a lot and have been plateau'd for about 6 months.

So last week I decided to shake it up a bit to try to lose the last 20 that I want to lose to get to my goal of 15% BF (currently at 22%). I landed on The Bulletproof Diet, ala Dave Asprey, which is - as he calls it - "Upgraded Paleo". So far, I'm down 9# in 6 days. I don't think it's primarily water either because I was already doing low carb. The next 3-4 weeks will be the true test!

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I followed the slow-carb (ala Tim Ferris in The 4-Hour Body) off and on for 2 years. Yes, I was pleased with the results. Lost approx 70 lbs! I say "approx" because I've bounced around a lot and have been plateau'd for about 6 months.

So last week I decided to shake it up a bit to try to lose the last 20 that I want to lose to get to my goal of 15% BF (currently at 22%). I landed on The Bulletproof Diet, ala Dave Asprey, which is - as he calls it - "Upgraded Paleo". So far, I'm down 9# in 6 days. I don't think it's primarily water either because I was already doing low carb. The next 3-4 weeks will be the true test!

cool to see another BP fan!

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Haven't posted my progress yet. So far its been about 30 days since I started. I look and feel great right now. I have never had such a rapid body transformation in my entire life. It usually takes me 3-4 months to get as lean as I am now. And I still have never gotten this lean.

From mid November to new years basically, I was working non stop due to the hurricane. I literally went well over a month without working out once (I never do that). I started eating bad during the holidays and on new years, I looked in the mirror and got a little depressed. I started losing some shape, and gaining a belly.

Then I joined Corssfit. That combined with Paleo, IF and my own work out routine, and I have completely transformed. I need to go get my body fat %. It's probably pretty low right now. I did lose a little size and strength in certain areas, but I am rock solid, and I have gone up in weight in the most important exercises - Dead Lifts and Squats. Before, I was just getting up 275 lbs on my dead lift. The other day, I did 11 reps of the same weight.

If I continue this pace, I should be the leanest I've ever been within the next month.

Paleo and Crossfit for Life! :D

Tiger

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Mar 8, 2011
However, I have a question. No one is having heart problems by cholesterol? I have understood that many quantities of meat consumption is bad for heart health.

However, I have a question. No one is having heart problems by cholesterol? I have understood that many quantities of meat consumption is bad for heart health.

What you've brought up is probably part of the biggest nutrition and health battle in many years.

Basically you have two camps. The more traditional "Lots of fruits, veggies, lean means and whole grains" (FVLMWG) camp which is what most doctors and nutritionists subscribe to and the "High saturated (healthy) fat, protein and low/no carb" camp which is what Paleo, Primal, Keto is.

A major point of the PPK camp is that it is the insulin response to carbs (highly processed, refined carbs in particular) which is driving the liver to produce our own saturated fat and cholesterol which is killing us. It the massive amount of sugar and grains (gluten) which is causing massive amounts of inflammation in our bodies and hearts.

Here is a link to a chapter of the TNT Diet book on Google that gives a good summary of why they feel saturated fat is actually good for you.

Men's Health TNT Diet: The Explosive New Plan to Blast Fat, Build Muscle ... - Jeff Volek, Adam Campbell, MS, CSCS - Google Books

If you research enough, you'll find tons of first hand accounts of people who were on a traditional "FVLMWG" and had pretty good markers for HDL, LDL, Triglyceride, etc. and then tried the PPK style diet for a while and actually lowered all markers even more. The reduction of sugar and grains reduces inflammation which is the cause of heart disease and many other traditional western diseases.

truesouth

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Mar 6, 2011
Patagonia, Chile
What you've brought up is probably part of the biggest nutrition and health battle in many years.

Basically you have two camps. The more traditional "Lots of fruits, veggies, lean means and whole grains" (FVLMWG) camp which is what most doctors and nutritionists subscribe to and the "High saturated (healthy) fat, protein and low/no carb" camp which is what Paleo, Primal, Keto is.

A major point of the PPK camp is that it is the insulin response to carbs (highly processed, refined carbs in particular) which is driving the liver to produce our own saturated fat and cholesterol which is killing us. It the massive amount of sugar and grains (gluten) which is causing massive amounts of inflammation in our bodies and hearts.

Here is a link to a chapter of the TNT Diet book on Google that gives a good summary of why they feel saturated fat is actually good for you and.

Men's Health TNT Diet: The Explosive New Plan to Blast Fat, Build Muscle ... - Jeff Volek, Adam Campbell, MS, CSCS - Google Books

If you research enough, you'll find tons of first hand accounts of people who were on a traditional "FVLMWG" and had pretty good markers for HDL, LDL, Triglyceride, etc. and then tried the PPK style diet for a while and actually lowered all markers even more. The reduction of sugar and grains reduces inflammation which is the cause of heart disease and many other traditional western diseases.

Tiger, thank you very much for your contribution. I've been researching a lot, and I'm getting to many conclusions, one of which has been about media manipulation to make us consume certain products that really do damage to our bodies.

I worry quite the topic because I suffered some arrhythmias and atrial fibrillation, which doctors say is due to problems of electrical charges in my heart, not a congenital malformation.

Tiger

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Mar 8, 2011
I worry quite the topic because I suffered some arrhythmias and atrial fibrillation, which doctors say is due to problems of electrical charges in my heart, not a congenital malformation.

Welcome to the club. I have experienced them as well. There is good reason to believe that any sudden change in diet can cause afib and arrhythmias. Carbs are quick energy and after a lifetime of using them or being use to them, a sudden change in their availability might affect the heart. My opinion is to make gradual changes and not shock the body. Make gradual changes.

Look into magnesium deficiency. I recently learned about it and was shocked. It might help but as always, check with your doctor first ;)

There is so much information out there, much of it conflicting that at some point, you'll just have to come up with your own ideas of what is best for you based on your own health marker tests and personal feedback from your body. For every expert with an opinion you'll find another expert who completely disagrees. Let your health markers and personal wisdom from your own research guide you.

My personal thought is moderation. Healthy, natural fats like avocado, coconut oil, butter and cream in reasonable amounts. Fish, chicken, turkey, beef, pork, lamb raised on grass or as naturally as possible. Vegetables for nutrients and fiber. Limit carbs to natural sources like fruit and sweet potato but only small amounts (once I'm at my maintenance weight). Personally I feel grains are bad so I'm now avoiding them as I don't feel they offer anything of value, (although they do taste good;) Moderate exercise, moderate weight training, yoga for flexibility and stress relief. This is the route I'm taking and no doubt others' will be different.

Good luck.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I JUST recently started saving my bacon fat in a mason jar.

Call me slow but I've never done this before.

Highly, highly recommended for any dish you want to add a ton of flavor too. Not necessarily a "bacon" flavor, per se, but more of an umami or richness to whatever dish you are making. I don't use it all the time or for everything but it's a cheap, easy way to add a ton of flavor to anything.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
@theag - What do they recommend for protein intake on the Bulletproof Diet? I was reading a little about it, and it says that too much protein is no good. I couldn't find anything else further on it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.