The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

noob question!!

Marketing, social media, advertising

charles J

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 3, 2014
can someone please explain to me what does it mean to "learn how to sell" is this statement as broad as it sounds, being that selling different things will require different selling skills and techniques. what does it actually mean when your read advice telling you to learn how to sell??

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
No, selling different things does not require different skills or techniques. The basics are the same.

I first learnt how to sell a financial product (debt consolidation), then used the same skills to do a variety of telephone sales (raising funds for a charity, selling cable tv packages, insurance products, etc.)

I now use those same skills in a completely different industry where one sale typically equals a $10,000 to $20,000 project.

The best way to learn how to sell is by selling things. If you aren't sure where to start, take @JackEdwards advice from a post a couple of years back:

Sales 101: 6 months of outbound cold call telemarketing selling anything

Sales 201: 6 months of door to door selling - pref. residential selling anything like vacuums

Sales 301: 6 months of Business to business selling - preferably Water or copiers

Year 1.5. Open a business - make a fortune

It really is that simple. Sadly most skip over the learning part.

Edit: Have a read of Anthony Iannarino's stuff at thesalesblog.com. I love this guys stuff.

Last edited:

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014
Totally agree with Mr. B, the best way to 'learn how to sell' is by selling, a process I'm devoting the majority of my time to at the moment.

I would add though that the key to selling things is by getting inside the head of the person you are selling to. You have to have an incredibly clear picture of who they are, what they like, and what will help them trust you (with their money--one of the highest forms of trust.) This will help you say the right things to push them in the direction you want them to.

One of the most valuable skills you can have is people skills. The richest people in the world know how people think and can capitalize on it extremely well. It all goes back to solving a need--or if there isn't one, creating it.

-Axiom

charles J

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 3, 2014
No, selling different things does not require different skills or techniques. The basics are the same.

I first learnt how to sell a financial product (debt consolidation), then used the same skills to do a variety of telephone sales (raising funds for a charity, selling cable tv packages, insurance products, etc.)

I now use those same skills in a completely different industry where one sale typically equals a $10,000 to $20,000 project.

The best way to learn how to sell is by selling things. If you aren't sure where to start, take @JackEdwards advice from a post a couple of years back:

Edit: Have a read of Anthony Iannarino's stuff at thesalesblog.com. I love this guys stuff.
thanks for the advice good sir! which also leads me to a follow up question =) would you happen to know if this rule of "learning the basic's, then applying them to whatever you are selling" would that apply to learning how to market as well? being that there are many school's of marketing (internet marketing, network marketing ect). can one simply learn how to market? same question different wording perhaps, but to make it things simple, my goal is specialize in the skill of sales and marketing as my bread and butter skill sets in business.

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
would that apply to learning how to market as well?

To a degree, yes, the basic are the same with all types of marketing. There are others here who are better suited to answer this question though... the only type of marketing I rely on is word of mouth, and that simply comes down to doing a good job and knowing how to ask for referrals.

charles J

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 3, 2014
To a degree, yes, the basic are the same with all types of marketing. There are others here who are better suited to answer this question though... the only type of marketing I rely on is word of mouth, and that simply comes down to doing a good job and knowing how to ask for referrals.
thank alot mr. beard

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
396%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
@Mr.B - solid post!

@charles J - though you learn best by doing, it wouldn't help to learn about some basics first. One of the best books I read on the topic was SPIN Selling by Neil Rackham. Very science based.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
I'm learning how to sell currently, I find youtube to be amazing resource.

What I have learned so far...

When you cold call don't go for the sale on the first time, it will take many follow ups before the customer is ready.

Instead of selling them the features of your products instead make it about them, ask them questions about their business.

Be casual, go for the connection instead of the sale, the sale may come later down the line when the customer is ready. Be casual in your approach and don't try any hard sell shit.

Provide value, get their email address and send them good stuff every week, don't spam.

I'm sure there's more but I cant remember atm.

Btw thus is mostly b2b direct sales.

Oh and if your doing direct mail then make sure you offer a gift to the business owner/buyer for a meeting, again something simple like some local cookies or something, again go for the connection in the meeting and nit the sale. Don't look desperate.

Don't be scared to cold call if your truly offering a good product, don't be pushy if they cant talk. If they are busy just leave a flier or card and follow up later or in a few days. If cold calling by phone just ask for their email address if they are not interested, build your list.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.