The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

No sales? No money! Ebay starting to get on my nerves. Social media problems :(

Social media marketing, advertising, and growth

Scott Bradley

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Feb 20, 2014
This sucks, I have been selling a few items on eBay and Amazon, craigslist. I bought a camcorder dcr-trv22 for 25 bucks at a garage sale and am trying to sell it on ebay for $75.

So far, 4 watchers and 20 views, no sale. 4 hours left. This is just ridiculous. I need to pay my bills soon, and I only have around $466 available. Terapeak even had this camera at a 50% or more sell through rate, and still its not getting anything.

And by the way, I am trying to figure out how viral social media works, and have come to no conclusion. Too complex, too much to do, and hardly anyone will like your stuff or even for that matter sees your content. I post very little on Twitter, however I retweet a lot, but I don't see why I am not getting anything. I repin lots of pins on pinterest, even repin popular content, so far nothing.

How many repins and comments and followers does it take to get lots of traffic on pinterest? What do I have to do to create lots of traffic?. Please help me understand how this works! :(

Meanwhile, my parents are almost forcing me to go back to work at my minimum wage job, and sucking every last bit of time I have before we move to Florida in 2 weeks, and I will be left with no job, and soon no money, and only selling online and doing scrap metal. And so far, I am not very good at it yet. I will probably lose all my money in the next few weeks and will no longer be able to buy and resell.

I am 23 and wasting a part of my life trying to figure out how this social media thing works so I can actually start pinning products on pinterest and using many of the social media platforms(instagram, facebook, youtube, google+, etc) for promoting my products and eventually start getting my website indexed into the google search engine or start learning to do affiliate marketing.

Here is two of my accounts:

http://www.pinterest.com/scottbradley812
https://www.youtube.com/user/CBasie2856

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ralphoi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 28, 2013
I can advice you about Ebay. It works mate. I know this for a fact. It's all about your feedback reputation (which will take you time to build 100%) cost and demand of your goods versus the trending price (I only do high demand goods and always below trending price) and presentation (which you can get right immediately by using good English and pretty pics). Use the exact same description terapeak uses and google for nice pics (don't lie though)! Good luck on the bay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
What's your intention with social media? How is that in any way associated with selling stuff on ebay?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Sounds like you have a product problem, not a social media problem.

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
You're all over the place.

Ebay, Amazon, viral social media, Pinterest, Instagram, Google+, Youtube

You need a goal to focus on. What are you trying to achieve by repinning content, what are you trying to achieve by retweeting? What's the goal? Why do you want lots of traffic? Would you know what to do with it once you got it?

The basics of Social Media are fairly simple. You create content that resonates with the people you want to reach on a platform where they are active.

You cannot just retweet and repin everything and hope that somehow money flows into your pockets. You wouldn't promote senior dating in a youth club.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Everything is a process, so this is the thing, it takes time to build reviews, and a reputation. I would say too, it's the product. Is it something someone needs and can't live without? If they can live without it, and it's not fulfilling basic needs like yours, clothing, shelter, food, emotional, mental, spiritual, or physical, or transportation it's really not a necessity. It's a luxury item or pleasure. Basic needs come first, than pleasure and play. Pleasure and play products come last, unless they don't know how to manage money and go on a spending spree.

I used to do antiques and this is the thing I didn't understand than, you can waste your timing buying stuff, but everything isn't going to sell. If it's not a hot item even in the antique business, you're probably not going to sell it. It goes with anything. You have to know your customers, what they're looking for, and what they want to buy. I knew coca cola items were a big hit for collector's. I new fiesta was a big thing. Camera's aren't great seller's unless they're the latest updated product. They end up being stacked in piles and sitting on the shelf. Unless maybe it's something valuable, but you can go see in pawn shops what are selling.

You find good finds sometimes at auctions, and flea markets. You still have to know what you're looking for and what's selling. You can find good things at garage sales, good will stores, or any other thrift shop. The thing is you still have to have an idea what sells. Which there are plenty of books out there to teach you, and probably blogs. It's not a fast lane road unless you've got the money to spend for the good stuff, and resell it. You can make a few hundred dollars a month, which will give you extra cash, but it really takes time to learn the ropes of any business.

Ebay is based on reputation and reviews. And frankly, you may have to accept the fact you've made choices to get you where you at the moment. You might have to work another job, if you have no way to pay your bills and still work on fast lane. There is no quick fix, and it's choice to work or not work, but not working gives you no money at all in a bad situation. Use your money wisely.

Scott Bradley

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Feb 20, 2014
What's your intention with social media? How is that in any way associated with selling stuff on ebay?

Because I want to eventually use pinterest to pin my products.

I do have a website, and it is in google search, but it ranks low. I wanted to learn social media to gain traffic to my website.

Eventually, I won't have rely on ebay and Amazon to sell, and can start selling on my own website.

Royael

Student of Life
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Sep 22, 2014
For pinterest there is a quite good strategy to make some fast money - so there is this daily limit of following 300 people. You just do this with like 5 accounts which will take you about 1 hour in total. You do that only for people who look somehow like "100-1000 followers" and "200-1000 following". From my experience that was quite good. So after you do this for about 2 weeks you should have around 2000 followers on each account (and around 4000 following). Then you just start pinning things with your links and .. there you go :) Made my first 10$/day with that .. its quite good as they haven't a hard spam policy as other networks do such as facebook or twitter. Just try it out if you have the time.

BUT I would look onto the bigger picture. Getting some money is important (and as I understand its very important for you right now to have some to pay bills) but from the fastlane view I would say this is a pretty bad strategy as you are in control if Pinterest (or any other social network) and it just depends on your time somehow so you can't scale this unlimited.

So what I would do is just to make some money with whatever you can right now until you pay all your bills and then start working on something bigger :)
Hope that helps a bit ...

sambreaker20

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Apr 4, 2011
I also found that the more you list the more you sell. Keep in mind electronic has some of the highest returns and problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikhail Joseph

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 13, 2014
Australia
My items Are not selling on eBay right now it's been that way for a few weeks same at my restaurant it's been slow might be with the happenings in the world folks are holding on to their cash
I can definitely quote you on that and agree 100%.

Been very slow for me aswell, barely any sales these past few weeks and it's killing me. As for op, I can tell you if you stick to ebay and keep listing it'll get better. I started in march with barely any auctions and made practically nothing. I had no job and definitely didn't want one but also no one would hire me because I had basically no experience with work or anything. So I started ebay and slowly listed items over the past months until now.
The thing about ebay is you need to stick to it to start seeing results, like anything really and its a process like anything else. Seeing no sales is very discouraging but the trick is to simply keep listing, take good photos of items and if you're reselling like me for heaven sake do your research!. I sometimes see 200 $ a day in sales now and while it isn't much, its more than the sometimes 30 $ a week I was making months ago.

Anywho, pointless reply if I add no value so ill give you the names of a few resellers on youtube who you can really learn some information about ebay.

Raiken profit - clothing reseller and tips with ebay in general. This guy gave me great information for sure.
Bonafidehustler reseller - another great dude to watch and he shows what he finds and values everything gives good tips and also runs a green room with over 150 members who pay 100 $ to join (I didn't join but I hear its decent as everyone posts stuff and you can learn heaps in the room).
There's college picker - decent videos but he doesn't often post.
Check their channels out and youll also find more resellers through them. The

Hope I could be of some help.

Regards,
Mike

smithsta

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
May 4, 2014
@Scott Bradley It sounds like your very similar to me. I'm 25 and a few years ago I was exactly the same. Desperate for money, playing around with eBay, social media and websites but really struggling to figure out why my efforts weren't making me any money.

I'm only now starting to see the results. A lot of what I have learnt to get me results has been on this forum and through failing. So I would highly suggest that you become an INSIDERS on here, read through all the gold threads and the progress threads, even if you feel they are not relevant to your business.

You will always find a few golden nuggets in these threads. Reading The Millionaire Fastlane , finding these forums and getting an INSIDERS subscription was the best thing I ever did. Take advantage now.

Your already on the right track because your trying to learn through doing, but it sounds like your stressing yourself out.

You need to work on improving yourself a bit at a time, and learn from failure. Stay patient and realise that in a years time you will be making money if you keep at it.

Drop me a PM if you want, I'm no expert but I reckon I could show you a thing or two about eBay, social media and put you on the right track.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.