The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Newbie Importing and Selling on Amazon

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...
D

Deleted2BB3x9

Awesome work mate. My search came up with four hits plus twitter/facebook/email referrals by unnamed others. Yours is a good story easily propagated. Keep those PR efforts going!

Thanks SYK! I couldn't have done it without you! ;) Also what are you searching with? I set up google alerts for my brand name but haven't got any alerts yet.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SYK

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 24, 2014
I just did a straight Google/Google News search. I find Google alerts aren't entirely trustworthy. Once things get to a bigger scale their are sophisticated services for media monitoring. For now I'd just go the ol' timey way of searching Google yourself.

D

Deleted2BB3x9

Sold Out!

I finally sold the rest of my samples. I had 6 samples.

I'm going to order more as soon as I get the deposit in my account.

As for my marketing, I just reached 150 fans on facebook and have 26 email subscriptions.

Here's my plan for going forward: Start getting daily sales on amazon by running a promotion on instagram to boost my ranking, then start blogging and posting to facebook, then start collecting leads from facebook and referral traffic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel M.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Mar 9, 2014
Bucharest, Romania
Really nice progress thread Ben. More and more people starts reselling on Amazon and I love it, I can't wait to try it out too.

Could you please tell us what was your profit for the 6 samples if it was any as you spent money on ads too?

D

Deleted2BB3x9

Really nice progress thread Ben. More and more people starts reselling on Amazon and I love it, I can't wait to try it out too.

Could you please tell us what was your profit for the 6 samples if it was any as you spent money on ads too?

Sure, I made $186.78 profit. I spent 123$ on amazon ppc to get those 6 sales.

I wouldn't worry about advertising costs in the beginning though, this was more of just a way to validate the market.

I'll be able to reduce my costs for my upcoming runs.

Dicky Dee

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
May 25, 2014
great thread you have going on here, were kind of in the same boat being from Canada and selling through US FBA (about to send my first test shipment), i've been selling on ebay for a couple years and have recently decided to give amazon a shot as well. If you ever need someone to throw ideas back and forth with i'd be happy to skype chat with you here and there as it would probably be beneficial to both of us.

D

Deleted2BB3x9

Received my order this morning.

Within an hour, I shipped out half my inventory to FBA. It should be there next week.

I also just finished writing the first email for my autoresponder. I have about 40+ email subscribers right now so I'm going to try promoting on email first.

I'm also continuing to build my presence on facebook and instagram. I can finally take some action shots now too since I have inventory now.

Haven't gotten around to blogging yet though.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014

Within an hour, I shipped out half my inventory to FBA. It should be there next week.

I also just finished writing the first email for my autoresponder. I have about 40+ email subscribers right now so I'm going to try promoting on email first.

I'm also continuing to build my presence on facebook and instagram. I can finally take some action shots now too since I have inventory now.

Nice progress Ben.

Been following you from your last idea.

Just a question, how do you ship your products to amazon? Canada post? FedEx? Find any good rates?

D

Deleted2BB3x9

Thanks and i've only been using Canada Post. I shipped out 3 boxes today and they each had to go to a different warehouse, so I don't think a courier would be cheaper. I ended up paying like 50$ a box.

Dicky Dee

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
May 25, 2014

Hey Ben, just wondering which autoresponder tool do you use? Also are you shipping to CDN FBA? Have you seen any difference in sales volume having access to the prime members?

D

Deleted2BB3x9

Hey Ben, just wondering which autoresponder tool do you use? Also are you shipping to CDN FBA? Have you seen any difference in sales volume having access to the prime members?
Technically it's not on an autoresponder yet, but I used MailCheat(Chimp) to send the first email.

MailCheat(Chimp) let's you have an autoresponder with a paid account, but I think I'm just going to upgrade to aweber instead.

Also I'm shipping to US FBA, you only ship to CDN FBA if you want to sell on amazon.ca. Which I probably will eventually.

And I can't exactly give you a comparison between volumes, i've personally only been using FBA.

Dicky Dee

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
May 25, 2014
Technically it's not on an autoresponder yet, but I used MailCheat(Chimp) to send the first email.

MailCheat(Chimp) let's you have an autoresponder with a paid account, but I think I'm just going to upgrade to aweber instead.

Also I'm shipping to US FBA, you only ship to CDN FBA if you want to sell on amazon.ca. Which I probably will eventually.

And I can't exactly give you a comparison between volumes, i've personally only been using FBA.
When you ship to US FBA what carrier did you use? I believe you have to have duties and taxes paid prior to them receiving it and Canadapost doest offer that option.

D

Deleted2BB3x9

When you ship to US FBA what carrier did you use? I believe you have to have duties and taxes paid prior to them receiving it and Canadapost doest offer that option.
I mentioned I was using Canada Post earlier, and I haven't had a problem so far.

I'm pretty sure that most items shipped by the postal service just don't get charged.

You got me worried now though [emoji32]

Dicky Dee

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
May 25, 2014
I mentioned I was using Canada Post earlier, and I haven't had a problem so far.

I'm pretty sure that most items shipped by the postal service just don't get charged.

You got me worried now though [emoji32]

haha sorry for getting you riled up, but im in the process of getting a shipment out to fba as well and from my understanding you're suppose to have the taxes and duties paid prior to them receiving it, maybe give them a call and ask about that?

Pretty sure UPS has that option but i know canadapost doesnt.

D

Deleted2BB3x9

Just finished writing my first blog post.
It was like an introduction post where I described who I was, what the company does, and why. I wrote it in a personal way and then asked them to subscribe to my newsletter or like my facebook page to stay updated about my blog.
I also posted a link on my facebook page.

And about my newsletter, I got a reply from a designer wanting to cooperate on some products. So now I know people opened my first email, since MailCheat(Chimp) doesn't let you track opens with the free version.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pacman385

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 28, 2013
I can't really find the place to post this question but it is sort of related as I will be selling my product on Amazon.

Where and how would I go about getting in contact with a RELIABLE Chinese manufacturer that would make me exactly what I need?

D

Deleted2BB3x9

I can't really find the place to post this question but it is sort of related as I will be selling my product on Amazon.

Where and how would I go about getting in contact with a RELIABLE Chinese manufacturer that would make me exactly what I need?
I found mine on Alibaba.

D

Deleted2BB3x9

Oh you're looking at getting a new product molded? Well i'm not sure man, i don't have experience in designing a new product, so maybe look into a US manufacturer?

D

Deleted2BB3x9

Amazon received 2 of my packages yesterday. They were fully received and everything went smoothly. Now I have 40 items ready to sell.

I plan on redoing another instagram promotion to get some initial traction, but this time instead of a discount I'll be selling 25 of my items for 1$ in exchange for an amazon review. Similar to how @AllenCrawley did his instagram promotion.

I posted a picture about an hour ago asking people if they wanted to be tagged when the promotion is live and more than 25 people have already commented saying they wanted to be tagged and that they would definitely leave a review. It's looking good so far!

I decided not to promote on email since people would probably already be open to paying the full price so i'm just going to continue educating them with my blog and newsletter for now and focus on growing my list before doing any more promotions. Depending on how many reviews i get from instagram I should get boosted to the first page on amazon. I'm guessing first page since I was on page 5 only after selling 6 in a month and a half.

Wish me luck!

Deon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
Amazon received 2 of my packages yesterday. They were fully received and everything went smoothly. Now I have 40 items ready to sell.

I plan on redoing another instagram promotion to get some initial traction, but this time instead of a discount I'll be selling 25 of my items for 1$ in exchange for an amazon review. Similar to how @AllenCrawley did his instagram promotion.

I posted a picture about an hour ago asking people if they wanted to be tagged when the promotion is live and more than 25 people have already commented saying they wanted to be tagged and that they would definitely leave a review. It's looking good so far!

I decided not to promote on email since people would probably already be open to paying the full price so i'm just going to continue educating them with my blog and newsletter for now and focus on growing my list before doing any more promotions. Depending on how many reviews i get from instagram I should get boosted to the first page on amazon. I'm guessing first page since I was on page 5 only after selling 6 in a month and a half.

Wish me luck!
Good luck!

Just ordered 8 samples from China myself and looking forward to test them out (7 of them) on Amazon. Exciting stuff

GUTTA BOB

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Mar 11, 2012
Sup Ben, I was going to tell you I heard not-so-good stories about MailCheat(Chimp). You can look up ppls complaints if you like but if your planning to switch to aweber that might be a good idea. I've used them and they have really good customer service. I think there's another one too but forgot the name.

I was also going to mention about discount codes on Amazon. You can create promo/discount codes on your seller's account (Advertising tab>Promotion)... maybe this may help you with your email campaign.

D

Deleted2BB3x9

Just got my first 2 reviews!

I didn't even ship out their orders yet, I'm having an error with my amazon promotion.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.