The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New Supplement Idea - Need Advice Please

Idea threads

CT4

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 4, 2014
QLD, Aus
Hi Guys,
Been here a while but never had much to contribute, just trying to soak up as much as possible.

I've come up with a supplement idea that, after asking around, would benefit dieters and help them stay on the right track.
I'm in the process of trying to get some raw ingredients so I can mix it up and get a group to test it for me (already have people interesting in trialing it).

Now, since i'm in Aus and wanting to be able to sell in the US to target a much larger market is it as simple as contacting FDA approved factories to find one able to manufacture my blend and then selling it or am I missing something?
Anything I can read or use for research?

I've been looking through the Supplement Syndicate Thread as well and theres heaps of gold in there.

I'm aware of needing to find somewhere FDA approved to blend the supp and thats why I'm choosing to start with the US so as to get that sorted straight up and not have to try get it sorted later. As for insurance, if I cant get covered by the factory's insurance for whatever reason i'll look into that too.
I'm also wanting to avoid having to ship to Aus as that will just increase the price but if it works out in the US and the demand is there then obviously I'll bring it home.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SerpKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Jun 6, 2013
supp syndicate thread on the inside is a solid resource.

Yes you need to find a cGMP manufacturer. Some do in-house fulfillment as well, but there's also a ton of fulfillment centers around.

Barrier to entry is pretty low in this biz. But to make a real go at it you have to have a solid plan & angle to execute, it's a competitive space which can be good or bad.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Yes you need to find a cGMP manufacturer.
There are lists out there. Just start calling them.
A friend of mine here in the U.S. has his own line started and is doing well but it is a process. He uses his own formula mixed/packaged by a cGMP manufacturer. They ship product all packaged up with his own label/brand. He then ships to his buyers.

He originally had the pills shipped to him, then he filled his own containers but had to stop because he needed additional insurance to do this himself, which was too expensive.

CT4

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 4, 2014
QLD, Aus
Thanks guys. I'll get emailing/calling this week and try get something moving.

I'm aware the barrier to entry is fairly low which is why I'm creating a supplement that isn't on the market at all yet.

Now to get some raw ingredients and get a trial underway.

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
Thanks guys. I'll get emailing/calling this week and try get something moving.

I'm aware the barrier to entry is fairly low which is why I'm creating a supplement that isn't on the market at all yet.

Now to get some raw ingredients and get a trial underway.
Keep in mind that AU sucks for this. You need certification off the TGA to get supplements even put in bottles here in AU, do some tests, but keep it quiet - don't get the TGA involved at all, they're a pack of retards in my experience. Once you know it works, find an FDA approved US-based manufacturer, and get it made there.

Even if I was going to sell in AU, I'd still get it made in the US, then shipped back here - as the TGA allowed FDA-approved supplements to be sold here, and the TGA is way stricter, and has far blurrier lines when it comes to dietary supplements (which isn't a category here, it's 'Complementary Medicines' and so forth, thus the stricter rules).

CT4

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 4, 2014
QLD, Aus
Keep in mind that AU sucks for this. You need certification off the TGA to get supplements even put in bottles here in AU, do some tests, but keep it quiet - don't get the TGA involved at all, they're a pack of retards in my experience. Once you know it works, find an FDA approved US-based manufacturer, and get it made there.

Even if I was going to sell in AU, I'd still get it made in the US, then shipped back here - as the TGA allowed FDA-approved supplements to be sold here, and the TGA is way stricter, and has far blurrier lines when it comes to dietary supplements (which isn't a category here, it's 'Complementary Medicines' and so forth, thus the stricter rules).

That's interesting man, I knew there would be some differences but sounds like US is the go.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.