The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need a job while I work on my company. Got 2 offers but I don't know which way to go

Anything related to matters of the mind

SmoothOperator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 8, 2015
What's up guys! I just burned through the book in 2 days, and I'm excited to get this going. I also took notes on the book, about 25 pages, which I'm happy to send to anyone who's interested.

Anyway, here's the dilemma. After my last startup, which didn't work out, I'm about 14k in debt, but it was totally worth it for the experience.

I need a job to support myself while I work on the next company. I applied and got 2 offers. I'm having trouble deciding which.

The first is a 1000-person company that's got a young corporate vibe. The job is cold-calling for 8 hours a day, and they're paying 35k base, has benefits. On one hand, cold-calling is bitch, but if I hit my numbers I'm looking at about 50k/year. I've done cold-calling before, and I'm pretty good, so I'm sure I can hit the numbers.

The other company is a startup that lets people come in and 3d print their own stuff. They're cool, look really fun, and I'm philosophically aligned with their mission of helping anyone unleash their creativity with technology. The problem is the base is only 21600, no benefits, and selling studio memberships, which I haven't really ever done. They say that the commission averages to about an extra 2k/mo, but if I can't deliver, they don't have the capital to carry dead weight, and i'll be out of a gig fast.

On one hand, the corporate job is safe, and will net me money I need to improve myself in all kinds of ways: education/seminars, jiu jitsu classes, gym membership, etc. It's also an opportunity to drill my cold-calling skills, which'll be useful for selling my product.

On the other hand, the startup is exciting, and will give me a lot more freedom to test out my marketing/sales skills creatively. The money sucks, but they're deep in the entrepreneurship scene in my city. Because it's a startup, I'll be doing a little bit of everything, but the hours could be very long which'll take away time from working on my own company. They're also part of a great accelerator, which could give me access to meet ppl on the investment side of things.

Anyone else ever go through something like this? Any tips?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Omni

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Jul 18, 2014
Zoom out 10 years, 50 years and play out those scenarios. Either option your debt will be gone in 1-3 years. Hustle on the side to pay down your debt and gain traction on your own ventures. Since you know your own interests and long term goals best, no one on the forum can give you the correct answer. Also, if we had a crystal ball, we'd be in the lotto game :)

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
The 1000-person company has a proven sales process. The startup on the other hand is dependent on the intellect and skill of the founders.

Hence the question is:

Is the perceived value of studying under the startup founders > the proven sales process?

If yes, then go startup. If no, then go with the proven company and learn.

SmoothOperator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 8, 2015
thanks for the help guys. I took the time to picture my life and compared the value of learning from the startup founders and the big company.

I accepted the offer for the bigger company. Here's my reasoning:

1) going to the startup would be fun, but super demanding of my time. It would take away from working on my own project, and getting other aspects of my life handled. I wanna hit the gym. I wanna do brazilian jiu jitsu. I want to practice guitar more. I wanna have time to go home and work on my product and learn more about running a company. I'm looking into the FHA loan mentioned by G Alexander (https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/stop-paying-rent-live-for-free.51893/)

A startup where I'm potentially working for 12-14 hours/day just isn't going to allow for these things on a consistent basis.

1.5) to have the time to learn, work out, and get my life together, I need money to spend on good products, seminars, memberships etc. Can't do this at 1800 base.

2) The big company is a cold-calling gig. On one hand that's a bummer, on the other hand, I will absolutely master the craft. This is a skill that can definitely be applied to my own business at some point.

3) The managers at the big company REALLY want me. They bumped my base when I said I had other offers, and said that they'll be happy to intro me to the senior execs, whom I can take on as defacto mentors.

So there you have it. Off to the corporate world for a little while. I'm trying to frame this in my mind as the scene in the movie where the hero goes into hardcore training mode. Think Dark Knight Rises when Wayne's in that pit. This year I'm going to hustle, learn, and get my business going!

Last edited by a moderator:

Stu_Hefner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Mar 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Good decision to go with the big company. Save a little money. I did the same thing few years back in a similar job, saved up some money and even some extra for a nice little vacation before I left the nest and went flying solo with my own projects.

I also do some bjj :)

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Take the one thats less taxing on you both physically and mentally, so you have the maximum energy available to work on your exit plan.

Omni

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Jul 18, 2014
It'd be a good idea to write down what you're looking to gain from that job, along with a tripwire (date or money amount) of leaving that job. This will help you not get lost in the corporate grind

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

SmoothOperator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 8, 2015
wow thanks, you guys are the best. tons of great advice and good vibes. this community looks like it's gonna be awesome to be a part of :)

Omni

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Jul 18, 2014
Yeah man, PM or post if you need anything

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.