The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Natural Dog Poop Cleaning

Idea threads

MaxinVegas

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Dec 3, 2018
Sin City, NV
I'm about to go live with m dog poop cleaning business and am looking if anyone has a recipe for an essential oil or non harsh chemical based deodorizer used for lawns/backyards/artificial turf. Trying to avoid the chemicals. I'm in a desert climate. Lawncare, landscapers feel free to offer advice as well.

Thank You

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
635%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Use whatever commercial stuff will actually do the job fast and efficiently and then tell the customer it's made *with* natural ingredients (mixed with water).

Good luck hiring employees!

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm about to go live with m dog poop cleaning business and am looking if anyone has a recipe for an essential oil or non harsh chemical based deodorizer used for lawns/backyards/artificial turf. Trying to avoid the chemicals. I'm in a desert climate. Lawncare, landscapers feel free to offer advice as well.

Thank You
The poop will most likely be 100% dried and hard by the time you get to it. I don’t think you will need any cleaning for lawns but for artificial turf I think you’d want to spray some water on it. I know that when I clean my dogs poop and it’s dried on rocks. There’s no way I’m getting it off of the rocks without taking the rocks.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
There’s no way I’m getting it off of the rocks without taking the rocks.
Reminds me of one of ours. He likes to poop in/on trees, shrubs. The higher he can get it, the better. We'd be carrying a firehose with us everywhere if we had to get it all off.

MaxinVegas

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Dec 3, 2018
Sin City, NV
Use whatever commercial stuff will actually do the job fast and efficiently and then tell the customer it's made *with* natural ingredients (mixed with water).

Good luck hiring employees!
Thanks!
The poop will most likely be 100% dried and hard by the time you get to it. I don’t think you will need any cleaning for lawns but for artificial turf I think you’d want to spray some water on it. I know that when I clean my dogs poop and it’s dried on rocks. There’s no way I’m getting it off of the rocks without taking the rocks.
Rocks are tough. I live in a desert climate and yards can get pretty nasty smelling even after cleaning. Other providers off free disinfecting, sanitizing and deodorizing, while others charge for the service. It doesn't seem to expensive to offer it for free and is more of a value add, besides being consistent showing up and not a creep.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
635%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
If one person does this work, and they cost 20/hr, you’ll spend a bit under 4k a month per employee.

So you should shoot for 8k+ a month of revenue.

Estimating 20 working days a month, you need a single day of work to bring in $400-$500 of revenue each day.

Can you realistically get $500 coming in every single day?

What is someone willing to pay for cleanup?

How long does it take?

You need to make sure the time it takes and the price you charge allows you to safely hit that revenue goal

WHILE, factoring in cancellations, call backs, complaints, deadbeat customers, bad employees, damage, locked gates, going to the wrong address, a dog still being present in the backyard and running through the open gate, etc.

So probably shoot for $500 as your daily revenue.

A guy working during the day probably has about 360 minutes or a little more to be distributed out to the work for the day.

This means if it’s going to take 10 minutes to drive to a customer, 10 minutes to do the work, that’s 20 minutes out of the day.

Can he do 18 of these places every day? Maybe.

If you need $500, with 18 visits you need to charge $30 a visit. Will they pay that? Will they pay $50? How long do they take?

You need to do the math. Put them on recurring payments, auto-pay. Not auto invoices, auto PAY. Take the money, don’t let them pay at their convenience, they won’t, you’ll be chasing money.

You need to get some data on how long it takes.

I can tell you that if a visit will take 10 minutes of driving, and 20 minutes of work, that’s 30 minutes total, and you need to be getting 12 of those places done a day, and charge $42 minimum per visit.

Easy way to bid: look at a place and think “how many of these places could our guys get done in a day?”

If the number is only 10, you’d need to charge $50 a visit minimum.

If customers like your prices, raise them a little, give yourself a margin of error, push your employees to see how many they can get done in a day, and use that data to see if it’s feasible or how awesome your margins are.

If you do it yourself you can set a pace and use those measurements.

Then you have metrics to determine your margins, and how much a customer is worth to you.

Track closing ratios and see how many leads to equal one quote, and how many quotes to get one signup.

This will tell you the value of each lead.

Then, you know how much you can spend on ads to get these leads.

If a customer is worth $500 of net profit after all expenses for the whole year, you wouldn’t mind spending $80 to acquire them right?

If 50% of quotes signup, and 50% of leads get a quote, that’s 25% signup rate per lead.

$80/4 is $20, that means you can pay $20 a lead.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Thanks!

Rocks are tough. I live in a desert climate and yards can get pretty nasty smelling even after cleaning. Other providers off free disinfecting, sanitizing and deodorizing, while others charge for the service. It doesn't seem to expensive to offer it for free and is more of a value add, besides being consistent showing up and not a creep.
Yards are smelly from the pee, not the poop. I live in Vegas also. I have desert landscaping. But in the summer the poo drys so fast in the heat, it’s rock hard and doesn’t smell at all.

In my experience the pee dries up quick too, but when you put water on it again, the smell comes back as you try to wash it away.

I just don’t know if this is necessary but it’s a good value add I guess to your marketing.

MaxinVegas

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Dec 3, 2018
Sin City, NV
If one person does this work, and they cost 20/hr, you’ll spend a bit under 4k a month per employee.

So you should shoot for 8k+ a month of revenue.

Estimating 20 working days a month, you need a single day of work to bring in $400-$500 of revenue each day.

Can you realistically get $500 coming in every single day?

What is someone willing to pay for cleanup?

How long does it take?

You need to make sure the time it takes and the price you charge allows you to safely hit that revenue goal

WHILE, factoring in cancellations, call backs, complaints, deadbeat customers, bad employees, damage, locked gates, going to the wrong address, a dog still being present in the backyard and running through the open gate, etc.

So probably shoot for $500 as your daily revenue.

A guy working during the day probably has about 360 minutes or a little more to be distributed out to the work for the day.

This means if it’s going to take 10 minutes to drive to a customer, 10 minutes to do the work, that’s 20 minutes out of the day.

Can he do 18 of these places every day? Maybe.

If you need $500, with 18 visits you need to charge $30 a visit. Will they pay that? Will they pay $50? How long do they take?

You need to do the math. Put them on recurring payments, auto-pay. Not auto invoices, auto PAY. Take the money, don’t let them pay at their convenience, they won’t, you’ll be chasing money.

You need to get some data on how long it takes.

I can tell you that if a visit will take 10 minutes of driving, and 20 minutes of work, that’s 30 minutes total, and you need to be getting 12 of those places done a day, and charge $42 minimum per visit.

Easy way to bid: look at a place and think “how many of these places could our guys get done in a day?”

If the number is only 10, you’d need to charge $50 a visit minimum.

If customers like your prices, raise them a little, give yourself a margin of error, push your employees to see how many they can get done in a day, and use that data to see if it’s feasible or how awesome your margins are.

If you do it yourself you can set a pace and use those measurements.

Then you have metrics to determine your margins, and how much a customer is worth to you.

Track closing ratios and see how many leads to equal one quote, and how many quotes to get one signup.

This will tell you the value of each lead.

Then, you know how much you can spend on ads to get these leads.

If a customer is worth $500 of net profit after all expenses for the whole year, you wouldn’t mind spending $80 to acquire them right?

If 50% of quotes signup, and 50% of leads get a quote, that’s 25% signup rate per lead.

$80/4 is $20, that means you can pay $20 a lead.
Thanks...it will be myself and my kids, working in 300 minutes a day at about 40 or 45 per month per client. Goal is to focus on neighborhoods and get them to geographically maximize time working and less driving. I work nights, so its all bonus at first, not thinking of scaling super quickly as there are value-adds for pressure washing and even garbage can cleaning (already have the pressure washer), also can do dog walking and pet sitting. Local ads are competitive on Google, however not over pricey currently $500 budget can go quite far. This is a subscription model. Not interested in dealing with pay by the day type clients.

MaxinVegas

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Dec 3, 2018
Sin City, NV
Yards are smelly from the pee, not the poop. I live in Vegas also. I have desert landscaping. But in the summer the poo drys so fast in the heat, it’s rock hard and doesn’t smell at all.

In my experience the pee dries up quick too, but when you put water on it again, the smell comes back as you try to wash it away.

I just don’t know if this is necessary but it’s a good value add I guess to your marketing.
True about the poop. It fossilizes and then it easy to pickup/dispose of. Pee stains all the rock and especially concrete and when the August monsoons hit people need gas masks. Here's to a so far mild May!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.