The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My profits with Comic Books

cdrag

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Dec 11, 2012
Chicago
Hey everyone, I decided to create this post in order to share my journey with selling comic books - yes those colorful little books you used to read as a kid...

First a little background on myself and why I chose to go into it...

I have been selling collectibles for about 8 years now - I sell items such as vintage hot wheels, action figures, video games, and comics made in the 60's. One of my best ebay sales so far is selling a complete set of Django Unchained Action figures for $5.1K (It was on a few different websites/blogs) and a vintage hot wheel that I sold for $650 that I paid $60 for - Yes I knew exactly what I was buying.
On average, i found that I was making a few hundred bucks by selling 1-2 higher end comics from the 60's.
I decided to see if I can make more money by buying modern age comics (those made today) wholesale and increasing the amount of comics I bought...

Now before I get into this - here is a disclaimer. I do not suggest going to a comic shop and buying a shitload of comics thinking you can make X amount of money - There is a lot of time and research that went into figuring out which comics would provide the best profit - as well as reading a few different comic related forums to see which comics were hyped.

I found a decent distributor that sold comics anywhere from 40-60% off retail (which is typically $2.99)

Here is my progress thus far:

To date I have purchased 998 comics within the last 3 months - of that total, I have sold 659 - with 339 sitting in my room awaiting a new home. Of those comics that I sold, I am currently at a profit of $800+ after ebay/paypal/amazon fees. I charge about $3.50 to ship each comic first class which covers the cost of materials as well.

It takes about 2 minutes to ship each comic - package it and print out a label. I also take the packages with me before work, so there is no gas cost to add. This comes out to 21.97 hours of work meaning I'm making about $36.4 an hour and to me that is not enough - nowhere near what I want to make.

I'm not sure what the future holds for my comic money making strategy since there are numerous things that can change my outcome - A comic selling for $20 may be worth $5 next month - My biggest motivator was to buy and unload as fast I could and it has worked out. Now I have 300+ comics sitting in my room that are 100% profit.

What did this teach me? That there is money to be made everywhere - all you need to do is get off your a$$ and put some work in. Some projects will succeed and most will fail - but you will never know what you are capable of until you actually do something.

If there is something interesting that you want to learn, start small. Ask questions. Join a forum. In the end your little side project might net you a few extra bucks to put into your pocket!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.