The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Mentors are Overrated! Who Cares..Blah Blah

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

PeeVee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Dec 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
It is kinda what I used to think until I became indoctrinated in the importance of building the right relationships, thanks to this forum and TMF .

Read ON

So I have been busy with my business but I have had this voice in the back of my mind nagging at me. "YOU CANNOT DO THIS IN ISOLATION AND HAVE THE IMPACT AND SUCCESS YOU WANT TO ACHIEVE. NETWORK WITH LIKE MINDED PEOPLE"

I honestly didn't know how to even begin.

I couldn't make it to any of the B&P's, etc. so I started thinking locally. It turns out that I had the number in my cell phone for someone that used to work at the same company I currently do. I always have had the utmost respect for this guy. He was always one of these guys that was a major innovator, and someone that pushed the envelope which is one of the reasons why he ended up leaving the company. He was light years ahead of his management and peers.

So I reached out to him and invited him for drinks to catch up. I mentioned to him that I have been working on a side business much like he was at one point but I didn't go into it much. We met for beers and started talking. Come to find out that since leaving the company I currently work for, he has grown what used to be his side business into a sizable company that does business in the medical, energy and military industries. It was just me and him at the bar and after a few beers we got really deep into a discussion about my business. He asked me a lot of questions and particularly how I planned on marketing, etc. He was very encouraging and excited about my business. He ended up going into a lot of detail about mobile marketing, mobile geo marketing, targeting cell phones within a quadrant of 10 feet, viral non-profit marketing, etc, etc. He has a ton of experience with Facebook marketing, paid search and just about every kind of online and offline modern marketing.

He said to me: when you are ready to execute your marketing plan, let me know because I have a ton of experience with social media and search marketing and I would love to help out. Any by the way, leave your day job. You know you need to, I did it.

So if that want enough he says: "You wanna meet a few entrepreneur friends of mine?" I was like, hell yeah...where? He said: they are at the outside bar...lets go. I felt like I walked into a mini Entreprenuer heaven. There were six other dudes that were actually in business for themselves and everyone had their own unique angles, businesses, stories, etc. It was a very diverse crowd. From artists to satellite geo location experts to government contractors, etc.

Bottom line is that we all drank a lot, talked business and exchanged Linkedin profiles, numbers, etc. My network grew by 7 by just reaching out to one guy. Don't be afraid, F*ckIN DO IT! REACH OUT!

These guys all said to me: Dude, we love business but relationships come first and we feel like you are a pretty cool guy that fits into our group nicely and we want to help each other any way we can. You should come out more often.

Will I? Oh hell yeas I will.

One more thing. When I was introduced I tried to explain my slow lane job title and how I was building a side business. My buddy said: Next time someone asks you what you do or are working on, tell them you are an entrepreneur. As silly as it may sound, that was some really liberating shit.

Hope you all can gain something from this. Network, there are people like us out there. Start with the obvious. You may already know someone but haven't been paying attention.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ashten

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
May 30, 2014
San Diego, CA
Great insight. Sounds good, will be handling that myself asap. Thats massive power.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
You just tripled your speed in one night!

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Speed isn't important my friend. Sharing in a way that helps others is. I truly believe that.

Not forum speed but fastlane speed, your new network of friends and entrepreneurs has increased your execution/fastlane speed

It is important as it could decrease the time it takes your sideline into full time business by a few factors

This speed is taken from their sharing of information, they love to help you out as they remember they used to be in your shoes. One day you will be able to help them out in some areas.

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
Go for it. In my first company, I had a girl that worked for me and 2 years later, fast forward to the present, she calls me and says she wants to start her own image consulting company and she needs me to coach her. She is my loyal client now.

She hardly worked for me 2 months but the one thing she said to me nearly made me tear up

"You weren't like any other boss, Nadia. You were vested in us. You cared about us. You PUT us first, even before the clients. That meant a LOT to me, and even when I left, I always thought of you. I knew I needed to come back to you, because you care about people and their success".

All i'm saying is this, NEVER mention the slowlane job (it's a determent) AND always be kind to people. You never know WHO will remember you in the future.

My personal mentor is a guy who has studied with people like Eben Pagan, Bob Proctor and Dan Kennedy personally. I found him by accident on an online search selling ridiculously affordable priced info-products of these people and more! (message me and I'll hook you guys up!) and I pursued him brashly until he accepted my offer for him to be my mentor. He radically challenges me and that is what I need!

Excited to hear your story and how it evolves!

PeeVee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Dec 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Go for it. In my first company, I had a girl that worked for me and 2 years later, fast forward to the present, she calls me and says she wants to start her own image consulting company and she needs me to coach her. She is my loyal client now.

She hardly worked for me 2 months but the one thing she said to me nearly made me tear up

"You weren't like any other boss, Nadia. You were vested in us. You cared about us. You PUT us first, even before the clients. That meant a LOT to me, and even when I left, I always thought of you. I knew I needed to come back to you, because you care about people and their success".

All i'm saying is this, NEVER mention the slowlane job (it's a determent) AND always be kind to people. You never know WHO will remember you in the future.

My personal mentor is a guy who has studied with people like Eben Pagan, Bob Proctor and Dan Kennedy personally. I found him by accident on an online search selling ridiculously affordable priced info-products of these people and more! (message me and I'll hook you guys up!) and I pursued him brashly until he accepted my offer for him to be my mentor. He radically challenges me and that is what I need!

Excited to hear your story and how it evolves!

Thanks for your generosity Nadia. PM coming your way.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
+1 for your success. I see you will be one of the successful ones here. I'd bet on it.

drmctcher

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Sep 14, 2009
Phoenix Metro
@PeeVee Brilliant story, love it when someone comes out of the shell!! Thanks for sharing it really helps to inspire those of us still trying to crack the shell!

When I was introduced I tried to explain my slow lane job title and how I was building a side business. My buddy said: Next time someone asks you what you do or are working on, tell them you are an entrepreneur. As silly as it may sound, that was some really liberating shit.
This quote was especially - smart... During my 1-1 JackEdwards call, he also gave me this same advice... Never mention your JOB, because no one cares about your JOB, people want to know how your going to provide them value. This was a mindset tweak that I had needed to change. I used to tell all the entrepreneurs that I met, "oh ya I really need to start a business, because I really hate by job". Wrong Wrong Wrong... Now I don't even mention the day job... The job really has no bearing on whether your going to start a business or even if you'll be successful!

Congrats on your new network!!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.