The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Marketing as Your Only Value Skew (Somewhat Scammy)...

Marketing, social media, advertising

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Saw some company advertising this Neck Massager on Instagram. The prices are downright funny for the unsuspecting. The markup they want is insane.

When I saw it, I knew someone was just adding MARKETING as a skew to an existing product.

Sure enough...

Found the same products on Temu...

Step 1: Order 5000

Step 2: Create slick marketing (featuring BUFF models to grab attention) and slick packaging to take advantage of those who don't know about Temu.

Step 3: Sell for 400%-600% markup

Step 4: Pick color of Lambo (or Chevy)

1694536425621.png

1694538011744.png

neck-massager.jpegtemuneck.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I have never even heard of Temu, but it looks like a better put together version of aliexpress.

Ever order from there? I am constantly buying stuff from aliexpress. I just got a pair of biking shorts that are on par with a pair my brother got from a store for.... $120!!!!! I paid $25 all in.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Ever order from there?

Yes -- but the quality is a crap shoot. Some things (like hornet traps and yard supplies) were great, but other things can be poor quality. They have lots of fun gadgets.

GatsbyMag

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 20, 2016
Would you consider this a fastlane business or a quick money grab?

I'm assuming that the market is probably responding positively to this product, given that they are investing in IG ads. However if there's no branding or opportunity for recurring purchase due to poor quality of the product, then it seems that it's likely just a quick way to attract value tokens?

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Would you consider this a fastlane business or a quick money grab?

I'm assuming that the market is probably responding positively to this product, given that they are investing in IG ads. However if there's no branding or opportunity for recurring purchase due to poor quality of the product, then it seems that it's likely just a quick way to attract value tokens?

Quick money grab, but some great experience in marketing.

Pretty much half the shit I see on Amazon is marketing arbitrage direct from Temu, all with 300-500% markups.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Do you have the link to the company’s site? I would like to see what their landing pages look like

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Aside from myself being opposed to TEMU and would never give out my personal information to their company(CCP). I could see the use of TEMU as a good market analysis tool. From my understanding, they are like fast fashion, but for products. Sure, they steal intellectual property from thousands of people and undercut hard-working entrepreneurs every day, but they are able to test the market quickly by getting extremely low MOQs from manufacturing companies over in China. Their model is not sustainable, but in the short term, you can see what is selling and what is not. Identify trends and then look to source products similar to or the exact same as TEMU.

Plus, if you can find products that people are willing to buy for like $2. People will realize the product they bought is garbage, since most of the products from TEMU are just that, and may look for better alternatives. You can source better quality products with a nice markup. If it sells on TEMU, then a good portion of your market validation has already been tested.

The only problem with this is that there is obviously a cost of goods difference, but you would at least know the product is desired which is a decent part of the battle.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Aside from myself being opposed to TEMU and would never give out my personal information to their company(CCP). I could see the use of TEMU as a good market analysis tool. From my understanding, they are like fast fashion, but for products. Sure, they steal intellectual property from thousands of people and undercut hard-working entrepreneurs every day, but they are able to test the market quickly by getting extremely low MOQs from manufacturing companies over in China. Their model is not sustainable, but in the short term, you can see what is selling and what is not. Identify trends and then look to source products similar to or the exact same as TEMU.

Plus, if you can find products that people are willing to buy for like $2. People will realize the product they bought is garbage, since most of the products from TEMU are just that, and may look for better alternatives. You can source better quality products with a nice markup. If it sells on TEMU, then a good portion of your market validation has already been tested.

The only problem with this is that there is obviously a cost of goods difference, but you would at least know the product is desired which is a decent part of the battle.

That's a great point, Temu is definitely great for market research, validation, and demand verification.

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
That's a great point, Temu is definitely great for market research, validation, and demand verification.
Find products that had a high purchase rate on Temu (with awful ratings), and improve that product by adding a lot of value skews and refinement.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
If you get caught in the retargeting ads, there are dozens of companies that sell that neck stretcher (the little blue thing)... and they're all just trying to undercut each other -- it's pretty funny... I will say though this thing is a godsend. I'll give every single one of those lame sites a testimonial.

... maybe I'll order the other one, too :rofl:

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
One thing to point out. In a world were China will rip IP from people and undercut you like crazy, if you are trying to create your own product, find barriers that make it more difficult to rip off.

One of those could be to create products that are regulated. If you're going to spend your hard earned money and a bunch of your time creating products, going through extra hurdles, like regulations, might just protect your invention in the end. Companies that are trying to make a quick buck are not going to waste time with regulators.

Granted, if you get your product through regulators, there will still be competitors that are larger companies that may try and copy your product and spend their money to get regulated too.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.