The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Manufacturing, Marketing, Distribution of a Consumer Product: Progress!

Marketing, social media, advertising

XOthermic

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
May 12, 2011
California
My fellow fastlaners,

I'm developing a consumer product for the health/fitness industry. We are about to release our product and are playing with the idea of selling internationally from the start.

During the idea phase here is what I was thinking.
Need: This product is a vast improvement of what is currently in the marketplace and also solves a problem within a niche of the fitness industry.
Entry: It is manufacturing so there are tens of thousands of dollars needed to enter the space. It's not like just setting up a taco stand. We have also patented (pending) the idea which will prevent others from following into the space. It is still possible to enter the space but we know that we have the swagger and will outwork anyone else in the industry.
Control: We manufacture and produce the product, market it ourselves, price it ourselves, and have built a distribution network ourselves.
Scalability: Very scalable. Machines run the production without manual labor. Increasing distribution/marketing allows for increased revenue. without much increase in cost/item.
Time: Very good timing for product as most fitness/ gym goers are familiar with the product. Also the business structure and model allows for easy acquisition from a larger fitness company. The goal would be for our unique brand to be assimilated into their product line.

SO WHERE AM I AT WITH THIS?
I'm ready to launch and have working product in hand. I will be ordering 5k-10k units from my manufacturer and retailing them B2B (gyms, nutrition stores) and B2C (online store) in a few weeks.

Does anyone have experience with taking B2B preorders? I have a bunch of stores that say there willing to purchase the product once its ready but SHOULD I JUST HAVE THEM PAY NOW?

INTERNATIONAL SALES
ok because of the internet/seo/socialmedia there has been an outpour of international demand.

• should I try and sell internationally at the beginning as well as domestically?
  • I don't know shit about shippping, frieght, importing goods accross the world? Can I take my product to the port of Florida and let the buyer worry about shipping and importing it into his country? What is this called?

MARKETING
My goal is to build a brand. I believe I have very cool marketing and branding as of right now. However I want to gain national exposure very quickly. Does anyone have some ideas beyond the corny infomercial?

heres what I've done so far

• use instagram - created multiple accounts and like pictures all day (very high ROI)
  • create pamphlet and send out to 100 stores (very high ROI)
  • pinterest (low roi)
  • I have reached out to bloggers and my core demographic that have a sphere of influence. I now have 100 that are ready to write reviews, post on social media, and take pictures of the product once they receive it. I think will create a big "buzz" and help kickstart some sales.

So that's where I'm currently at with everything. As you read I have some questions with shipping my product internationally and with b2b preorders. I can also answer anyones questions if they are also trying to bring a consumer product to market.

Cheers!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.