The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Let's Talk M.A.R.K.E.T.I.N.G

Laverdure

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
Now a days, marketing is the key to the success of the company. Good marketing can sell bad product while Poor marketing can't sell good product.

I started that topic because I wanted to elarn more about it and I'll need it soon enough for my business idea so I wnated to know if anyone out there knows a good website where I can learn a lot about it.

thanks you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Primzi

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2011
Ljubljana, Slovenia
I suggest you read the book Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert B. Cialdini, I think you will find it very useful if you are into marketing.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Try these books:

The Guerrilla Marketing Series by Jay Conrad Levinson

Anything by Dan Kennedy

Anything by Seth Godin (Especially "Purple Cow")

also for Advertising Psychology - "Ca$hvertising" by Drew Eric Whitman

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Cashvertising by Whitman.

G

GuestUser8117

Equation : magnitude + scale = money (something like that lol) :) Impact millions= become a millionaire. What's your idea? I'm just curious...

Pat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 14, 2011
World Traveler
+1 for Cashvertising

John Caples' Tested Advertising Methods is also good and I read some other good books, but Cashvertising is the one on my desk when I write copy.

dubaismartmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 28, 2011
Ok, I byte :)

My friend I have a degree on marketing (since I always new this was the way to go), I´m actually a Marketeer by trade, and a member of several marketing associations.

that being said, my suggestion:

just pick the latest Philip Kotler book. this is the biggest name on this subject academic wise.

Read it, take note, work with it, now u have the gold fundamentals.

then go for books specialized more on your expertise, internet marketing.

dont begin with guerrila marketing and all that stuff, get the foundations right and then speacilize on your area.

I hope it helped :)

Laverdure

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
I guess I'll buy cashvertising since 3 of you have read it and are telling me that it a good one.

My business idea will need a lot of marketing and I'll open a topic on it soon because after reading MJ's book I found a soso idea and I started working on it but it wasn't Fastlane at all so I took 1 week to find out a need that would impact million of people.

I found it and I'm starting to work on it.

thanks guys!

Laverdure

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
I bought it with kindle but it doesn't want to open o0 wierd ..

domainflipguy

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 22, 2012
Louisville, ky
The secret to marketing is figuring out your hidden value and exploiting that. What hidden need can you find in everyday issues revolving around the product or industry you're marketing towards?

Simplify what competitors are overdoing, it works. You don't have to spend money to make money - always - but can work your money smarter.

Laverdure

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
Can you give a quick exemple of "your hidden value and exploite that"

thanks!

SitesForSales

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jan 20, 2012
Allow me to reduce the time you'll need to understand really good marketing:

1. Buy this ( or look around and you might find a pdf somewhere )
Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind: Amazon.ca: Al Ries, Jack Trout: Books

2. A business without (a) good commercial offer(s) ( Product/Service - + Price )
that ad(s) value to the buyer
will fail.

Most businesses miss the price aspect by not listing it in advertising.
Don't ever do that.

=========== YOU WROTE:
Good marketing can sell a bad product
- but not for long.
Bad marketing can't sell a good product.
- but all you gotta do is say "It works and it only costs $____ " - and unfortunately most marketers MISS how simple it is because their formal Harvard schooling made them think it needs to be complicated.

domainflipguy

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 22, 2012
Louisville, ky
The hidden value is this: solve a problem, make sure that there is a glaringly simple solution to a common problem in your market, then find out what other problems it fixes as a cause of its effect. It helps you build a more diverse market analysis, gives you more ideas, and you may find that there is another opportunity in a sea of competition then the only problem is promotion.

Case and point: I kept dropping my guitar pick, and it always got stuck in my pocket - if you are a musician your tools are what define you - well, some of us lol, anyway, after researching products to help keep track of my guitar pick, I found an opening/gap in the product offering, and after creating a prototype and doing some direct market testing realized that it solved other issues, and our #1 problem was figuring out what set us apart, needless to say, it's currently being developed and has a pending patent, we may have a very lucrative deal with a very large retail outlet and it's all because we found that hidden value.

dubaismartmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 28, 2011
@SitesForSales ,

I think you are mixing up sales copy with marketing.

i.e.
"It works and it only costs $____ "
this is pure copy. as sales copy.

just having a good hook , or a good value proposition its only a part of the equation. And in that department you are actually talking about advertisement, and thats a total diferent story.

I always found concerning how little most biz people know about marketing, they always assume its sales or ad´s loool

Its all about creating system´s were all the company its aligned with the market and the expectation of the costumer.

Its not complicated, its just a elegant equation of how to get the service/product in the market the best way possible.

again Kotler, its the supra sumo in marketing and just reading a book of him, can rapidly clarify this. :)

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
Some good suggestions here, but I've found Jay Abraham to be the absolute most brilliant guy out there in terms of Marketing. He just approaches it completely different than anybody else.

SitesForSales

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jan 20, 2012
@SitesForSales ,

I think you are mixing up sales copy with marketing.

i.e. this is pure copy. as sales copy.

just having a good hook , or a good value proposition its only a part of the equation. And in that department you are actually talking about advertisement, and thats a total diferent story.

I always found concerning how little most biz people know about marketing, they always assume its sales or ad´s loool

Its all about creating system´s were all the company its aligned with the market and the expectation of the costumer.

Its not complicated, its just a elegant equation of how to get the service/product in the market the best way possible.

again Kotler, its the supra sumo in marketing and just reading a book of him, can rapidly clarify this. :)

After being my country's vp or a director of marketing for 3 major US fast food franchises
and then an independent marketing consultant for McDonalds, Burger King and a few others
I can assure you that I was not confusing marketing with copy, but I guess if you have
studied marketing really hard... you might be sure it's more complicated than what I said. lol

dubaismartmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 28, 2011
well glad to know that, maybe you didn't communicated that very clearly with:

"It works and it only costs $____ "

It sure is way more complicated than that...

but anyway, Im looking forward to learn some good stuff with you :) from someone that actually its a marketeer by trade like myself.

dont you think "its just a elegant equation of how to get the service/product in the market the best way possible" ?

I will love to know your professional opinion on this.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
I just ordered cashvertising on amazon. I have been hearing things for a while and now it has just been reinforced more by pat & mj.

Its funny right before i joined this forum i read how to win friends and influence people. Before that i literally never read a book, and thought all self educating books were for dreams and people not born with what it takes. I was so ignorant, crazy to look back at that now. Since i read that first book, it led me to join this forum, and read many many books, just helping me make better and better decisions. I actually at this point have to try not to read because it becomes leisure not learning directly what i need at that point and time. I am right at the phase where cashvertising could help so i am excited to get it.

SitesForSales

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jan 20, 2012
well glad to know that, maybe you didn't communicated that very clearly with:

It sure is way more complicated than that...

but anyway, Im looking forward to learn some good stuff with you :) from someone that actually its a marketeer by trade like myself.

dont you think "its just a elegant equation of how to get the service/product in the market the best way possible" ?

I have been involved in the movement of tens of billions of dollars from customer to seller.
Marketing is not complicated if your product is superior on any aspect against your customer.
When inferior on all aspects, even then, marketing is not complicated - you stop selling or make it better.

Around the time when you realize that a Ferrari ( been there, done that ) is not a very good car
and that you can literally spend on mechanical maintenance what others do for a Honda
that WORKS ALL THE TIME ... you'll be getting close to understanding real marketing.
Right now, you believe pseudo-marketing is real marketing and that's the problem.
I was there once.

dubaismartmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 28, 2011
thanks

Normally when one have a valid argument or just good knowledge he can express himself without needing to come up with poor excuses.

anyway keep saying ferrari is not a very good car for yourself and let the pseudo arguments for the one´s that care.

:)

walk the walk dont talk the talk :)

SitesForSales

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jan 20, 2012
thanks

Normally when one have a valid argument or just good knowledge he can express himself without needing to come up with poor excuses.

anyway keep saying ferrari is not a very good car for yourself and let the pseudo arguments for the one´s that care.

:)

walk the walk dont talk the talk :)

Walk the walk? Not sure what you mean.

Do you mean that next time I see a Ferrari in a parking lot that I should
have my friend take my picture with it and use it as my Avatar?

Or do you mean take a photo of my heated marble floors and see if
everybody thinks they beat heated leather seats? lol

You started this conversation by correcting me. I explained the essence of REAL marketing - but you still don't get it.
That means you're not operating at my level - so congratulations! You're now on my ignore list.

dubaismartmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 28, 2011

thanks and have a nice day

btw you where the one trying to preach me how good or rich you are, nobody ask you what you have. just a marketing question, I was most educated with you as possible

but anyway, Im looking forward to learn some good stuff with you from someone that actually its a marketeer by trade like myself.

than you begin being hostile to me and talking down to me with "pseudo marketing..." so yes if you dont have valid arguments or nothing positive to bring to the table, shut up:)

I have the avatar I want !!! if you dont like it you can :)

and btw I worked hard to go from the UE to Dubai and work in the Financial Centre(the wallstreet of the gulf), so YES Im quite proud of my avatar, quite a nice level to operate :)

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
I want to start this by saying dubaismartmoney... i honestly hate you. You are an idiot. I think you are dumb. You start arguments/ problems with people who are obviously smarter than you, regardless intelligence does not matter, you are just annoying...

You work in marketing or sales? I find it extremely hard to believe that you are successful or will ever be at it because that requires understanding people and communicating to them. You have 0 communication skills, no one likes you, and you try to get a rise out of successful people because you get off on that or something. Shut up and learn from people or get lost. You need to realize that no one likes you and you need to change your attitude... even if you were the richest person here it wouldent matter, no one would listen to you, you have a terrible attitude.

After being my country's vp or a director of marketing for 3 major US fast food franchises
and then an independent marketing consultant for McDonalds, Burger King and a few others

I have been involved in the movement of tens of billions of dollars from customer to seller.
We want people like this here.... not you, dont piss people off like this who add value to this website. Also he was not bragging about his ownership of a ferrari in the past... he was trying to non nonchalantly let you know that you are the child and he is your father, and he will spank you at any point and time.

Back to the forum.

Good marketing can sell bad product while Poor marketing can't sell good product.

I truly agree with this and think it is one of the most important things business people need to accept. We all can accept its reality and learn from it.

When inferior on all aspects, even then, marketing is not complicated - you stop selling or make it better.

Agree with this as well.

It came in the mail today, excited to read it.
photo2qj.jpg

Laverdure

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
thanks TheBiz,

Do you know if I can buy it as a Ebook?

Laverdure

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
Thanks TheBiz verry helpfull !

dubaismartmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 28, 2011
Well the Biz, go F*ck yourself the only advise about marketing was provided by me.

Cashvertising is a book about advertising you fukin idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!

You dont even know the diference between marketing or Ad, and the OP asked about marketing you fukin douche.

now go F*ck yourself, and your Ego since you are so obsessed about others!!!!

if you want good people around the forums just go troll to another one.

you are a fukin psico that needs to insulte other people for attention.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I have conferred with Dubai and theBiz. These personal attacks and name calling each other needs to cease. We can agree to disagree and move on.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.