The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lease to own

SteveF

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Sep 27, 2012
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker here, and I'm looking for some feedback on an idea I have on the go.

I got a line on a significant number of very reasonably priced, brand-new HP priced laptops (about half price compared to retail) on closeout (totally legit - this wasn't from the back of a truck) but I have to act quickly if I want to buy them. I was thinking of trying to sell the laptoops on eBay, but the markups would be too low once you factor in shipping costs.

One thought I've been kicking around is a lease-to-own website where I could lease out the laptops at $10 per week for a 52-week period (this would give me a fantastic mark-up, even if the cash payouts would be staggered over a year.

A few concerns I have on this are as follows:

1) Rent-to-own market seems saturated, and I have no competitive advantage over the B&M retailers (Rent-A-Centre, Aaron's, etc...). If can set up a website on the net using a host and e-commerce storefront, but I'm not sure how to even drive traffic to the site.

In short, I just don't see the customer need for this product, even though I can get the products cheap.

2) The thought of financing these sales is worrying, since I don't have much recourse if the people stop paying. I could hire someone to repossess the laptops (assuming the customers didn't just take off with it), but who knows how much that would cost if I had a high delinquency rate.

3) I'm not sure how to proceed with the credit check process. It costs $10 every time you do a credit check, and I'm not interested in paying that for customers who probably won't proceed to buy the product.

Any thoughts or feedback? I live in Canada, and I was thinking of setting the site up to cater to Canadians.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.