The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Kelly Landscaping Wesbite

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
You have to get rid of the "all-American" thing. It will turn people off, I certainly wouldn't hire anyone that said that. There are other ways to say it that aren't so offensive.

This is starting to piss me off because people are so ignorant. If you are a legally documented person living in America then you are American. Skin color, race, culture, doesn't matter. People automatically associate the term American with English speaking Caucasians. Technically there is nothing wrong with the phrase, but due to wide-spread ignorance I will change it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kraze

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Aug 1, 2011
You seem stuck on this youtube thing. There is a cpv or ppc model one can use with it and the ad doesn't have to be as polished as you think (do some searches on youtube). The ROI may or may not work but that's for him to test.

In the end this isnt an either or situation

Never said it was, I merely offered suggestions

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
This is starting to piss me off because people are so ignorant. If you are a legally documented person living in America then you are American. Skin color, race, culture, doesn't matter. People automatically associate the term American with English speaking Caucasians. Technically there is nothing wrong with the phrase, but due to wide-spread ignorance I will change it.
False. People come to the U.S on Green cards and they can legally work. They are not American.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
Thanks for the information, Jake. I don't know what I'd do without you! Please critique the rest of my site so that I can be more friendly to non-americans :) :) :)

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Thanks for the information, Jake. I don't know what I'd do without you! Please critique the rest of my site so that I can be more friendly to non-americans :) :) :)
lol. I don't mind your wording. You have a right to hire whoever you want as far as I'm concerned. Polarization could help as well. I wouldn't do it personally but..just sayin.

I think it looks cheap and you're better off throwing a wordpress site on your own hosting account. It's better than not having a site as I'm sure a lot of people looking for lawn care don't really concern themselves all that much with the looks of a website.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
Why do you think the current site looks cheap?

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
It just does. Without mentioning all the wix stuff..it just looks "off" The white box doesn't blend well to me. Maybe try fattening up the text on the buttons and at the bottom. It looks like the sky header was stitched together..you can see a line going through it.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
Can I see a site that you have created? I'd like some inspiration

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
You're asking for opinions. I gave you mine.

ok..your site looks fan-F*cking-tastic.

...moving on.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
I'd just like to base my site off of something better :)

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Can I see a site that you have created? I'd like some inspiration

The site doesn't look totally amazing to be honest, if you were in the tech/web sector it would look unprofessional, but, what everyone is forgetting is that you are in landscaping. If you are just selling to old ladies and soccer moms, nobody is going to give a flying f$# what your website looks like, there are millions of landscaping companies that do very well and have websites that look like pre 2000's. If you are looking at doing more commercial landscaping, I would say the site passes but could still use some improvement because companies will probably look you up on your website before they hire, still I wouldn't say it's a requirement.

If you are doing PPC or even SEO and sending traffic to your site, I would just make sure it is optimized, doesn't mean it necessarily has to look great, just track your visitors and see how they behave on your site. If you are doing PPC and SEO, your website is a lead gen tool, not just an informative site anymore, optimization should come first are foremost.

So I think you should do what you feel comfortable with Sean. If you have some time and want to learn WP it's not terribly difficult and may be useful later on; if your busy or if your not going to be selling to anyone outside of soccer moms and using local (non-online) advertising, use what you have at the moment, it is not going to effect your business at all.

I'd just like to base my site off of something better :)

First three sites off of a Google search, some good some bad. If you are looking for inspiration, I think brown associate's has an excellent site

http://www.milehighlandscaping.com/
http://www.denverlandscapes.com/
http://www.browne-associates.com/

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky

I think you finally got the point.

Whether the word means one thing or not doesnt matter. It doesnt matter what you think the word means, its what the customers think. Clearly a percentage of your customers will have a problem with the term "all-american" (btw its the "all" thats the problem not the american as you have pointed out in your reasoning). If you care that your customers could potentially not use your company because there is "wide spread ignorance" then change it, if you dont care that they could simply eliminate you because a simple word insinuates racism then dont eliminate it.

Astute

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jun 19, 2012
London, UK
If that is the message you want to get across then say that. "We only hire documented workers because we feel it is important that you can communicate your needs to our staff." But saying "All American" brings up connotations of the KKK, the Hells Angels and Neo Nazis.

Apart from what someone else mentioned about the text and background colour I think you need to look at your 'Services' page again:

- "Please choose from one of our listed services below to learn more about that service" In every other section of the site you have used upper case letters too, like "Hmm How Can We Save You Money Today..." You should keep that consistent and either use it across all of the site or none of it. (Personally I think it is wrong to capitalise every word like that.)

- On the "Lawn Care / Landscaping / Hardscaping / Power-washing" you need to space the text from the title. You have "Lawn Care" and then immediately under it "The look of your property is everything to us.", which just makes the page looked crammed.

Other than that I think the website looks pretty good.

OsmanS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Aug 8, 2012
Washington,D.C
I usually hate all Wix sites because they just give off a feeling of cheapness, however yours looks ok. It would be better to use a wordpress theme for many reasons.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.