The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Kelly Landscaping Wesbite

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
Made this yesterday in my free time (have only been sleeping about 5 hours a night haha). I think it will significantly boost sales and the price was fantastic... $0.00 Let me know what you guys think of it. Those are our company colors and some pages such as current promotions and employment haven't been completed yet. Will attach proper domain name soon.

kla1 | Wix.com

Edit: guy in picture on "about us" page is not me. Just put it there to remind myself to put a picture before the site goes live

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

dochustle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 1, 2012
Sunnyvale, California
I would fill the website with testimonials. Most landscaping companies are going to do the same quality work.. people need a reason to choose you over the rest.

Social proof is a good way to do that.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
I would fill the website with testimonials. Most landscaping companies are going to do the same quality work.. people need a reason to choose you over the rest.

Social proof is a good way to do that.

thank you for your suggestion! I'm in the process of collecting testimonials from some of my customers

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
You need a domain. Other than that, it looks good!

I would definitely buy up some adwords for this. It is so geographically focused I think you could compete very well.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
You need a domain. Other than that, it looks good!

I would definitely buy up some adwords for this. It is so geographically focused I think you could compete very well.

Thank you, Kak! I'll take your advice. BTW, i sent you a pm a while back in case you didn't see it.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Couple minor suggestions

1. Change the nav bar color when you are on that page, for instance when on about the text color changes to black, this makes it hard to read, I would highlight that nav bar choice by changing its color to a lighter green or similar
2. Personally I dont like the "we take pride in hiring all american employees" sorry but that comes off as racist
3. highlight your BBB rating (I assume its positive)

I like the feel of the site overall, its nice

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Get a 1800 number from phone.com and forward it to your cell.

Hes local though, at this point wouldn't it be more beneficial for him to have only a local phone number?
The site clearly says serving _____ county so if I was a customer I would like to know I am calling a local number if thats the case. What benefit do you see from acting big in this case? More trust?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Good point. Now... the american worker thing. What are the other options? Breaking the law and hiring illegals? So you are basically saying you dont hire illegals?

How about a picture of you and your american staff instead?

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
Great suggestions so far! I'm very happy that I decided to get some feedback from you guys. As far as the "All-American" thing goes, I refuse to hire illegals and I'd like people to know that. I do plan on taking a picture of our fully uniformed staff, but at the moment the weather is horrid. I'll be sure to change that. I plan to keep the number for now until we are at least servicing multiple counties and I will also get a P.O. box so that I don't have to reveal my address on the web.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
It says "All-American" like they dont hire Hispanics, this is what is inferred I believe. Since the vast majority of the lawn care industry is Hispanics (at least here). I agree a picture of you and the staff is a good choice, if you only hire white people and that appeals to someone out there they will see your picture and use you, otherwise no one will think anything of the picture (i think by saying "All-American" you could risk having a negative reaction by some)

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
I will also get a P.O. box so that I don't have to reveal my address on the web.

Consider a UPS box as you get a "true" street address as apposed to "PO Box 6173" If you are going to display your address this will help not to look amature

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
Thank you, i hadn't known that. I'll visit my local UPS this week.

khsrr

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Dec 30, 2012
I find the footer ("The site was created by WIX.com. Create your own for FREE") gives the site an unprofessional and amateur look.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
I find the footer ("The site was created by WIX.com. Create your own for FREE") gives the site an unprofessional and amateur look.

I agree 100% but when I attach my domain name that will disappear so no worries

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Consider a UPS box as you get a "true" street address as apposed to "PO Box 6173" If you are going to display your address this will help not to look amature

And I pay 70 per month for a F*cking regus mail service for the new company... :pissed:

I am going to see what I can do to get out of the contract.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
And I pay 70 per month for a F*cking regus mail service for the new company...

DO they like fax or scan/email your mail to you or something? Never heard of that

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
DO they like fax or scan/email your mail to you or something? Never heard of that

They do whatever I ask for. So far 140 bucks for 2 months of nothing.

McNandez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jan 3, 2013
Maybe it's different in NJ, but using the words All-American to indicate racial specificity could have negative connotations with lots of people in some places. I've seen business here (S. CA) get around that by saying that they take steps to hire "legal citizens" or "documented workers", etc. It's a matter of syntax, which seems like a trivial thing, but needs attention if you're in a place where that might end up biting you. Someone's always going to have a problem with stuff like that, but indicating that you hire documented, tax-paying citizens makes you look better than assuming what people agree that "All-American" means.

I think overall though your site looks good so far, and your color scheme looks great!

Whoops, almost forgot to add that I agree on UPS > USPS boxes. Super convenient and affordable.

Last edited:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Some better copy for you:

"Why Kelly Landscaping?

Kelly Landscaping has been a household name in Ocean County since (year of founding). When you call Kelly, you get three things: perfection, satisfaction, and a friendly experience. Our staff is all local; the motto is 'for the community, by the community'. Your lawn is our pride: call (1-800 number that Kak told you to get) for an estimate.

Our Services

We don't just do home lawn care: we also do landscaping, hardscaping and power washing. Whether you need a fresh lawn for your home or a new outdoor design for your business, we're there to get the job done right. (more info)

Schedule an Estimate

Need an estimate? Use our Contact form to tell us what you need done and we'll get back to you with a quote in the next 24 hours, or call us at (that 1-800 number Kak told you to get) for a quick estimate (only available Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm)

Current Promotions

We have new deals every month to help you save on your next landscaping job!

About Us

Since Sean Kelly was a young boy, his dream was to make Ocean County more beautiful than it ever was. His father noticed that he had an eye for detail and a green thumb, and after lots of hard work and dedication, Kelly Landscaping was born.

As Kelly Landscaping grew and grew, people all across the community knew Sean as the 'go-to guy' for their residential landscaping needs. He soon expanded to helping businesses maintain a more beautiful area.

Kelly Landscaping's staff is all local. Our motto is 'for the community, by the community'. We strive to serve our wonderful Ocean County where we grew up, so that we can make it more beautiful than it was before."

Benefits, not features.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Sean,

Pardon my threadjack:

Come and open a landscaping business here in the Phoenix area. We have had no less than 5 landscapers pull no shows in the past few months. I'm sick to death of this. One guy literally was just across the street, we went over and asked him if he could trim the bushes, de-weed and so forth (before our HOA starts fining us), he said "sure as soon as I am done here..$140."...Great, we wait and we wait and all of a sudden we hear the truck drive away...and he has not come back and it has been 3 hours. It has just been one landscaper after another, no shows. You could kill it out here...all you would have to do is show up. If you could show up, not stink like smoke and be friendly and nice...you could retire in 5 years. The same with pool service. I would pay my pool service company 3 times what I pay now just because they show up, actually clean the pool, don't stink like cigarettes, and are super nice.

Sue

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
And I pay 70 per month for a F*cking regus mail service for the new company...

Actually the USPS now offers physical street addresses when you rent a PO box, its extra and you have to ask for it, but it costs very little; I checked a couple months ago. I don't use UPS mail service, personally I don't trust minimum wage employees that come and go like the wind at UPS with my mail.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
A few things:

1.Get your own domain, perhaps something keyword focused for your service and area, if possible. Or if you are building a brand, do that.
2.Get your own hosting. Too many reasons to list why this is important.
3.SEO. Do some research, learn the ins and outs for ranking factors, and optimize appropriately.
4.Sales copy. Perhaps read up on advertising and sales copy. CA$HVERTISING is a good start. IMO.
5.Remove the "ALL-AMERICAN" portion. Can potentially dissuade customers. You DON'T want this, at all. Perhaps some rewording as others have mentioned would suffice.
6.After everything else is top notch, start playing with AdWords. No need to throw your money into the air and just let big G take it. Put in the research, and learn what to and what not to do.
7. In your page, instead of serving a specific county, try city names. This will help with geotargeting for organic search.

Start with that, and go from there. I am currently ranking/optimizing and building something similar for the company I work for.

Last edited:

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
Some better copy for you:

"Why Kelly Landscaping?

Kelly Landscaping has been a household name in Ocean County since (year of founding). When you call Kelly, you get three things: perfection, satisfaction, and a friendly experience. Our staff is all local; the motto is 'for the community, by the community'. Your lawn is our pride: call (1-800 number that Kak told you to get) for an estimate.

Our Services

We don't just do home lawn care: we also do landscaping, hardscaping and power washing. Whether you need a fresh lawn for your home or a new outdoor design for your business, we're there to get the job done right. (more info)

Schedule an Estimate

Need an estimate? Use our Contact form to tell us what you need done and we'll get back to you with a quote in the next 24 hours, or call us at (that 1-800 number Kak told you to get) for a quick estimate (only available Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm)

Current Promotions

We have new deals every month to help you save on your next landscaping job!

About Us

Since Sean Kelly was a young boy, his dream was to make Ocean County more beautiful than it ever was. His father noticed that he had an eye for detail and a green thumb, and after lots of hard work and dedication, Kelly Landscaping was born.

As Kelly Landscaping grew and grew, people all across the community knew Sean as the 'go-to guy' for their residential landscaping needs. He soon expanded to helping businesses maintain a more beautiful area.

Kelly Landscaping's staff is all local. Our motto is 'for the community, by the community'. We strive to serve our wonderful Ocean County where we grew up, so that we can make it more beautiful than it was before."

Benefits, not features.

Thank you for your suggestions. I do like a portion of what you've suggested and plan on implementing it at my next available opportunity. I appreciate you taking the time to think of/write all that.

Sean,

Pardon my threadjack:

Come and open a landscaping business here in the Phoenix area. We have had no less than 5 landscapers pull no shows in the past few months. I'm sick to death of this. One guy literally was just across the street, we went over and asked him if he could trim the bushes, de-weed and so forth (before our HOA starts fining us), he said "sure as soon as I am done here..$140."...Great, we wait and we wait and all of a sudden we hear the truck drive away...and he has not come back and it has been 3 hours. It has just been one landscaper after another, no shows. You could kill it out here...all you would have to do is show up. If you could show up, not stink like smoke and be friendly and nice...you could retire in 5 years. The same with pool service. I would pay my pool service company 3 times what I pay now just because they show up, actually clean the pool, don't stink like cigarettes, and are super nice.

Sue

Sue,

Honestly I don't know what goes through some of these peoples' heads... Even around here I here the same thing. People love to complain about how hard the current economic climate is, but they fail to even show up (let alone do a presentable job...). Nine times out of ten the bids that I win are due to the fact that I am at the estimate at exactly the agreed upon time, not a minute later. My prices are almost always more expensive. Even if something goes wrong, I'll at least call the client to inform them of the situation. Regardless, my competitors' lack of professionalism has only benefited me and I am grateful that my promptness is appreciated. I've heard Phoenix is beautiful and I'd love to at least visit the area one day. If I lived closer I'm sure you would be pleased with our work.

-Sean

Start with that, and go from there. I am currently ranking/optimizing and building something similar for the company I work for.

I appreciate that you laid it out very clearly. I plan on tweaking the site a bit and then re-posting for more opinions. It will never please everyone, but my goal is to have a user-friendly, informative site that will bring new business. I may contact you for some SEO advice as it is foreign to me.

kraze

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Aug 1, 2011
I wouldn't go the inbound marketing route (seo, adwords etc.) as the search volume isn't there. I would go with outbound marketing:

1. Find local radio stations targeted to your demo (use jingles from fiverr)
2. create 15-30sec ad for youtube, targeted to your county
3. Buy full page ad in local paper
4. If leafleting isn't illegal in your area then find neighbourhoods with senior citizens and spread the word
5. Maybe find owners of college rental properties and pitch your service
6. Find youtube videos in your county related to lawncare/landscaping and ask or offer owner $$ to place link...

Point is, I think you'll fair better with that than relying on google for insignificant/unreliable traffic. Though you didn't ask for marketing advice, maybe one of the aforementioned will come in handy.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
1. Find local radio stations targeted to your demo (use jingles from fiverr)
2. create 15-30sec ad for youtube, targeted to your county
3. Buy full page ad in local paper
4. If leafleting isn't illegal in your area then find neighbourhoods with senior citizens and spread the word
5. Maybe find owners of college rental properties and pitch your service
6. Find youtube videos in your county related to lawncare/landscaping and ask or offer owner $$ to place link...

Point is, I think you'll fair better with that than relying on google for insignificant/unreliable traffic. Though you didn't ask for marketing advice, maybe one of the aforementioned will come in handy.

I think you are wrong in regards to adwords, even if it is low search volume the search will be so targeted he will likely get the cpc very cheap especially considering what each customer is worth to him.

You honesty believe theres a higher chance for someone from his county seeing his youtube video or a paid ad on google? How is someone going to find his youtube video unless they use the search (same one that has "insignificant traffic")

Dont get me wrong making a video is a good idea as well as I doubt there probably arent many if any lawn care companies in his area that market through youtube (this will also rank high in search engines).

kraze

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Aug 1, 2011
I think you are wrong in regards to adwords, even if it is low search volume the search will be so targeted he will likely get the cpc very cheap especially considering what each customer is worth to him.

You honesty believe theres a higher chance for someone from his county seeing his youtube video or a paid ad on google? How is someone going to find his youtube video unless they use the search (same one that has "insignificant traffic")

Dont get me wrong making a video is a good idea as well as I doubt there probably arent many if any lawn care companies in his area that market through youtube (this will also rank high in search engines).

1. You misunderstood me. I'm not referring to making and ranking a video I meant paying for an actual advertisement.

2. There's nothing wrong with him using adwords but for what he's doing I wouldn't bother

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
1. You misunderstood me. I'm not referring to making and ranking a video I meant paying for an actual advertisement.

2. There's nothing wrong with him using adwords but for what he's doing I wouldn't bother

Logically that makes even less sense to me. I assume you have experience with this sort of thing?

I understand you can target by demographic but the costs associated with making a quality commercial to air targeting _____ county viewers over the age of 28 seems a bit unwarranted.

You may not get a huge score with adwords but its far easier to set up, cheaper and you only get charged when someone clicks. Sure the search volume will be low, but theres little risk.

In the end this isnt an either or situation in my mind, if you have the budget you could easily set adwords now (or as we approach spring) and work towards spending money on developing a commercial. I just dont see the downside in at least starting adwords spending a little and seeing if the conversions make sense.

D

DeletedUser4

You have to get rid of the "all-American" thing. It will turn people off, I certainly wouldn't hire anyone that said that. There are other ways to say it that aren't so offensive.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.