The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Just can't think of a good idea? I'm calling you out!

Idea threads

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
Sometimes I see people who claim they can't come up with any idea on a business to run. For me that seems bizarre- Ideas are constant (though not constantly good) and the wise old advice of "Find a problem and solve it." nicely wraps up what you need to do, right? If you're still stuck, this right here (a short read, promise) will give you the rest of the direction you need, right?

Well, I would think so. But that's because I'm already hardwired to find problems. I play games where problems exist and want to be solved, like armored core. (You spend hours on designing an efficient killing machine for your play style and dare say it's not a problem solving exercise.) I'm 'blessed' with a negative personality that allows me to quickly notice when something doesn't work as well as it otherwise could. I pick up on when other people have issues and make quick mental notes of it. In fact! That's the exact reason I made this post here.

But that's just me. I can take that advice and grok it because I already work in a way that's controversially very synergistic with it. Controversial because every source I've ever seen on being successful tells you to stay the hell away from me. :coolgleamA:
At any rate, I recognize other people just don't work like that. They don't make mental footnotes of problems, because they don't care about them in the same way I do. This means they won't likely either actively think of a solution (unless it was immediately available to them when they came across a problem they wouldn't otherwise note), and they certainly won't accidentally find a solution like I did here. Accidental solutions come because a problem sticks just close enough to the surface of your mind to come back to you.

So as I said, I accidentally came across a solution. Someone wrote a book about idea generation and innovation. In chapter two, which is posted on his site, there is an action-oriented solution that easily fits this problem that the author swiped from someone else. It's a more structured and step-by-step version of the "Look at something and write a list." advice I would have given.

So here's your link. http://www.innovatorssourcebook.com/chapter-2.html

If you find you like the tool, it won't take much creativity to apply it to other things. For example, writing a fictional book. Hmm... On that note, writing fiction is the strange sort of abstract cross-training some people love. After all, fiction is just about fabricating problems. Inevitibly, you reference real problems to make up fake ones. This makes you a problem seeker. Then your characters have to either solve or fail at solving problems. Now you're a problem solver.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
Yea, ideas have always been easy for me to come up with, but I have ADD so I daydream a lot and maybe that has something to do with it. Although, that link you provided could help all types of people come up with good ideas because it correctly points out that you have to look at specific problems within subsets of industries and try to find a solution.

People often have a problem coming up with ideas because they try to think too big; instead they should address a problem which isn't major but which can give them a very nice business if they manage to address the problem correctly. The real battle begins after you get your idea, in my opinion. That's when you have to stand up to the naysayers and have confidence in your idea and your ability to execute it.

dan128dr

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 24, 2010
FDJustin,

I'm glad you stumbled across my book and I hope that your readers get some value from the link. As you mentioned, I am not the one who originally wrote about this process and I give all credit to Richard M. White.

If your readers enjoy the chapter, I hope they will check out the other free chapters available on my website www.innovatorssourcebook.com. Finding problems is a great first step and the rest of the book is full of equally valuable methods for understanding how to create compelling business ideas.

If you found my book excerpt valuable, spread the word. Over the course of the next week, anyone from this forum that sends out a tweet with the title of my book in it, The Innovator's Sourcebook, or using the hash-tag #isourcebook will go into a pool. At the end of the week, I will choose two people at random to send autographed copies of the book to.

Thanks again Justin!

-Dan Roberts, author of The Innovator's Sourcebook

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!