The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

(Internships) Where to train at altitude?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I finally took the leap and switched all but one of my classes to online, now I can complete my education while I am anywhere in the world (beach trip anyone?) and I will also have much more time and flexibility to work on my projects.

With my schedule finally cleaned up, (along with running/growing my businesses) I have decided to pursue something I have been interested in for a while and find an internship with a local entrepreneur or training at altitude (great term) as dubbed by Dan a.k.a TropicalGuy. Let me tell you with limited connections it is a tougher job than it seems, these are not often job openings that get posted on Monster or in the newspaper; in fact, I am lost as where to find one of these specific internships.

I will copy papers, shop for groceries, and run mob hits for all I care, the only thing I am trying to find is an internship with a successful entrepreneur type and not at some massive corporate office where the only thing you will learn is how crappy the corporate slave camps really are.

So where do you all suggest trying to find a "fastlane-esqe" internship with a local entrepreneur? Anybody done this before?

:tiphat:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

bernieshawn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 14, 2011
Yes, I have.

The way I found it was by browsing the Inc 5000 list for growing companies in my area. Then, I emailed them to see if they would be interested in letting me work for free as an intern. I actually got really lucky in that the first company I emailed responded in like 30 minutes (on a Sunday), I came in and interviewed that week, and I started the week after. Plus, I got "lucky" in that they were actually starting a brand new company that I didn't know about (they were listed in the Inc 5000 for a different company) so I worked (well, I still do :)) for the startup.

So, go through the Inc 5000 list and find companies that you might like to intern for, and email them. Other than that, I would just look for local startups. Try using the CrunchBase Advanced Search to look for startups in your area, then contact the CEO and ask to work for free. This is actually easier than interning at big companies because startups NEED free labor (you're filling their need :)).

Make your email good. Introduce yourself, tell them how you found their company, tell them that you're an aspiring entrepreneur and that you're willing to work for free in order to learn. It shouldn't be too hard to find someone who resonates with your message (they might think back to when they were in your shoes) and would love to have you on board.

Hope this helps! Keep us updated.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Yes, I have.

The way I found it was by browsing the Inc 5000 list for growing companies in my area. Then, I emailed them to see if they would be interested in letting me work for free as an intern. I actually got really lucky in that the first company I emailed responded in like 30 minutes (on a Sunday), I came in and interviewed that week, and I started the week after. Plus, I got "lucky" in that they were actually starting a brand new company that I didn't know about (they were listed in the Inc 5000 for a different company) so I worked (well, I still do :)) for the startup.

So, go through the Inc 5000 list and find companies that you might like to intern for, and email them. Other than that, I would just look for local startups. Try using the CrunchBase Advanced Search to look for startups in your area, then contact the CEO and ask to work for free. This is actually easier than interning at big companies because startups NEED free labor (you're filling their need :)).

Make your email good. Introduce yourself, tell them how you found their company, tell them that you're an aspiring entrepreneur and that you're willing to work for free in order to learn. It shouldn't be too hard to find someone who resonates with your message (they might think back to when they were in your shoes) and would love to have you on board.

Hope this helps! Keep us updated.

Great post, I will do exactly that and send some emails out today, thank you! :notworthy:

Halffull

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Oct 25, 2012
In addition to Inc. 500 companies, try researching individual entrepreneurs who you'd be interested in. Find a problem they have, and offer to create the solution for them for free. Start out with remote internships, and then when you've proven yourself ask for one in person.

The goal here is to create your own internships, rather than applying for premade ones. You'll be facing much less competition, and the internship itself will be less busy work and more real work.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I emailed one company, #54 on the Inc 5000, and have yet to get a reply (not expecting one).

I haven't emailed any other companies yet because my mom is good friends with someone involved with real estate development out here in Colorado, I am seeing if I may be able to find an internship directly under him or one of his pals who all run multi-million dollar companies (and I can't ask him for an internship only to tell him "oops I found another one" if that makes sense).

If I don't get something worked out with from the above, in a couple weeks I will email 10 or 20 companies off of the Inc list and see who responds.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.