The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Internet addiction

Anything related to matters of the mind

andyandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Apr 10, 2014
I am an IT Consultant and have access to internet at work. So during free times or pauses(during web meetings) I tend to browse unknowingly. It causes fatigue and I tried to control it few times.
At home,I have windows laptops and tried some internet blockers but they again fail on restart.
At office I won't be able to install anything to block.
Any suggestions or anyone who has controlled this habit?

Thanks in advance!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ExCubeCommando

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Oct 10, 2015
Evans, Colorado
I am an IT Consultant and have access to internet at work. So during free times or pauses(during web meetings) I tend to browse unknowingly. It causes fatigue and I tried to control it few times.
At home,I have windows laptops and tried some internet blockers but they again fail on restart.

Thanks in advance!

Spend your free time reading the gold threads on this forum and making notes of useful resource links that will get you to read, study and stay focused. Develop a mindset to force yourself to learn rather then surf the web for useless junk!

Mr.Donnerhuhn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Aug 2, 2015
Get yourself leechblock or other similar browser add-ons

Cut-out nonsense sites & only allow yourself a certain time frame in which to view sites that aren't total bullshit time-waster.

G

Guest34764

It's becoming a big problem for me too.I spend all day watching useless shit.

I've managed to cut gaming out of my life, but shit like anime and useless youtube videos are like candy to me.

I'll have to take up @Mr.Donnerhuhn and his suggestion.

StompingAcorns

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Dec 11, 2015
Southeastern U.S.

Two possibilities in addition to what's been suggested: 1-If you must surf, use a timer. Look up pomodoro or go get a kitchen timer or use an app (Timely for Android has a nice alarm and timer.)

2-However, perhaps what you need instead is a replacement. What could you do instead that relaxes rather than fatigues you? In other words, it is very difficult to Stop doing something. It is must easier to Start doing something else. Do you like to draw? Go for a walk around the cubicles? Do isometric exercises? Use paper and pen to work on your business (to get you off the computer)? Plan a vacation? Text a friend? Figure out what you'd like to do instead, and focus on that instead of on stopping something you don't want.

Good luck!

sWALK90

Slowly figuring it out
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 29, 2015
H ,TX
I was the same way, and also IT B.Analyst\Consultant...i changed the content i was looking at and started becoming productive....

Stop wasting time looking at stuff that wont benefit you...spend that time learning..start using ebooks ...and reading over the forums...

andyandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Apr 10, 2014
Thanks all for the replies! I just wanted to add more details- My browsing habits are limited to useful sites mainly. But its addictive behavior which
seems to cause fatigue. back and forth many times to same sites- even productive. I don't have FB on smart phone , no youtube.Neither do I spend too much time on laptop on these. It's just- whenever I get few moments I pickup smartphone , checks email or go to 'useful' websites thru my PC.
I feel it's still waste of time. Any suggestions on mindfulness?

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
I just use StayFocusd, the Chrome extension. You pick your blocked sites, and set your daily time limit. I allow myself 25 minutes a day to browse "garbage" sites like Reddit or Autotrader or Jalopnik.

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
On a desktop or laptop: Hide the shortcut links in folders.

On a mobile device, do the same thing, and take them off the first page.

If you were to look at my phone, you will not find e-mail, chrome, web browsers or anything like that on the main page or on the bottom.

The way I look at it ... if I don't see the link in plain view ... on my phone or in my laptop bookmarks ... I'm less likely to look at it.

And I have found that to work.

The other thing I do is put social media sites in a folder called "boredom." A reminder (to myself) that when I am surfing social media, I am really just wasting time.

And (of course) disable all e-mail and social media alerts.

Doing these things (just mentioned) has significantly reduced the time I spend "online" instead of working.

Forodstar

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Nov 2, 2014

Thanks in advance!

I think a good start is to ask why do you it?

Are you bored? Are you seeking escape? Again why?

Why not use the down time to get out a book and write down some thoughts?

Obviously if you are on Reddit, on pr0n or otherwise wasting your time that's a shame because following tmf here... You are wasting your most valuable resource your time.

The computer is a tool. It can be used for good or bad. What about executing one of your ideas and writing a blog or designing something?

Are you producer or a consumer? That is the question you need to ask yourself.

andyandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Apr 10, 2014
Thanks all! as I mainly use chrome stayfocused seems helpful.
Any further suggestion for more focus- like meditation?

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Thanks all for the replies! I just wanted to add more details- My browsing habits are limited to useful sites mainly. But its addictive behavior which
seems to cause fatigue. back and forth many times to same sites- even productive. I don't have FB on smart phone , no youtube.Neither do I spend too much time on laptop on these. It's just- whenever I get few moments I pickup smartphone , checks email or go to 'useful' websites thru my PC.
I feel it's still waste of time. Any suggestions on mindfulness?

I think you, and many posters, are missing the underlying issue. The issue that I see isn't 'wasting time online' but instead it's with your perception.

You 'feel' that you are wasting your time even if you're educating yourself and being 'productive'. It implies that you have a feeling of procrastination. Why?

What other work should you be doing that you're not?

Are you (or should you be) actively working on a business opportunity instead of being online? Are you neglecting personal relationships and becoming screen-focused? What would you be doing if you are successful in freeing yourself from this self-proclaimed internet addiction?

If you are procrastinating then it's time to get real with yourself and change your attitude and behavior. Stop considering your internet time as 'productive' and establish your goals and priorities.

If you're not procrastinating, then what's the problem? It's perfectly OK to be online and to fill your free time with learning. In fact, I commend you for filling those few moments of every day with improving yourself...if that's what your online activities really are.

Look, there are a lot of band-aid tech solutions out there that can help modify habits. You're in IT and likely pretty savvy so they shouldn't be hard for you to find; even the average Joe can use Google to find some. Still, I'm not convinced that any of them will solve your problem. You can get around any of these self-imposed barriers if you want to badly enough, and without sufficient internal motivation a person can't change. You're viewing your online time as productive, which is a positive emotion, so you're establishing a mental excuse already. You're telling yourself that it's OK to continue because it's productive.

It's time to look at your behavior and the underlying reasons for your action and feelings. Figure out why you do it and what you should be doing instead. Then keep reminding yourself of the real priorities every time you reach for your phone or have a few minutes free in front of your screen.

Learner Guy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 10, 2015
I'm much less likely to procrastinate if I'm very clear on my big picture goal, and especially if I am tracking the action I'm taking every day towards it.

Squeeze out the time wasting activities by doing worthwhile stuff. 'Trying to stop XYZ' can be like trying not to think about a pink elephant.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.