The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Interesting day for game developers

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
Epic released Unreal Engine 4.
https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/welcome-to-unreal-engine-4

This version is $19 per month with a 5% revenue cut on any released products, and it includes full source code. Previously, source was only available to studios paying BIG license fees, so that's a pretty big deal. It will deploy to PC, Mac, iOS, and Andriod. (Console builds are also possible, though that would be via a different licensing structure.)

I think the dramatic growth of Unity scared the shit out of Epic, and they're trying to make up for lost ground now. It's very shiny, but they really need to work on changing their perception as the "expensive" engine option. Even though the previous version (UDK) was entirely free until you make $50k on a single project, I've seen many devs avoid Unreal in favor of spending thousands of dollars buying their teams pro versions of Unity. For a team of 5 or so people, UDK was probably cheaper until a project hits 100-150k in revenue (and of course, most games never do). Now that number will be even bigger (assuming that Unity free isn't sufficient).

Oculus starts taking orders for the new Rift Dev Kit.
http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/announcing-the-oculus-rift-development-kit-2-dk2/

Not too much to add here other than it's an amazing toy to play around with. I have one of the originals, but I haven't gotten to try any of the newer prototypes yet. Once this hits a consumer level of quality, it has the potential to be amazing though. It really needs a lot of things to happen for it to gain acceptance by the masses, but they have the funding to give it a really good shot (they've raised almost $100M).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GettinFishy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Mar 6, 2014
Definitely something to keep an eye on, I've dabbled with game design but I primarily work on software and services.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Great post, reads like an article :) Wish more posts were like this! Also some great information.

The unreal engine is in my mind way stronger then Unity may ever be and this is a big game changer.... I think more indie developers will be able to create higher quality games now. Wish I had the money to do a game startup ! My plan is to own a game company one day.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
I think more indie developers will be able to create higher quality games now. Wish I had the money to do a game startup ! My plan is to own a game company one day.

Ya, people are able to do more and more with less and less. Of course, that just serves to raise the quality bar that players expect, but at least that's being counterbalanced a bit by the minimalist/retro indie games.

Also, why do you need money to do a game startup? Download an engine and start a game company today! :)

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
oh, and even more interesting:
Facebook purchases VR headset maker Oculus for $2 billion
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/03/facebook-purchases-vr-headset-maker-oculus-for-2-billion/
I really didn't see that one coming, but that's a hell of a turnaround for their investors. Imagining a VR facebook is a little scary though. Cyber-utopia seemed way cooler in the '80s.

Curious to see how this pans out. Is Facebook going to exert control over what developers can sell (Adult content$$$$)???

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Also, why do you need money to do a game startup? Download an engine and start a game company today!
Focusing on building a company that profits good $ first so I can then hire the talent for games :)

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
Focusing on building a company that profits good $ first so I can then hire the talent for games :)

I know everyone here is all about outsourcing, but imo, hiring someone else to make a game for you is almost always a recipe for disaster, especially if you've never made one yourself. Hell, it's usually a disaster even when everyone has lots of experience :)

Cabaret

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Mar 25, 2014
I'm creating a game. :) Although it's not the kind discussed here. It's a browser-based virtual simulation game - think Neopets, but for an older, more sophisticated audience. Anyway, if anyone needs assistance developing a game like this, feel free to shoot me a PM!

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
I'm creating a game. :) Although it's not the kind discussed here. It's a browser-based virtual simulation game - think Neopets, but for an older, more sophisticated audience. Anyway, if anyone needs assistance developing a game like this, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Well, considering that Oculus acquisition, it may be exactly the kind of game we're talking about hehe. But in reality, I still think that browser sim/strategy games might be one of the most sane game-types to make. They're relatively cheap to make, target users that aren't as easily catered to by typical games, and can really be set up to garner a fairly long-term investment from the players. The time investment ends up being key to monetization too since it begins to make sense to invest money as well since you're already spending so much time on it.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
Looks like there is quite a lot of anger stirring up about the the Oculus Rift being bought by Facebook

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/21cy9n/the_future_of_vr/

Ya, the internet is surly about it, and maybe understandably so. They've probably burnt their fanboys, but it doesn't really matter though. As a new startup (especially one that was chasing funding), they really needed people with an irrational passion for the company. For better or worse, they're aiming for a mass market product now (and have the funds to do so), so a few people being very vocally sad about Facebook isn't going to make much of a dent in the potential market.

The media seems to be making a big deal about Notch being a harbinger of developers fleeing, but shrug, a few indie devs might stay away, but in general, devs are going to go where the money is. Facebook certainly has no shortage of games. Maybe not games "traditional" gamers want to play, but I doubt Zuck is crying about that.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
I heard Minecraft was in talks with Oculus and right when FB acquired them, Minecraft said nevermind.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
I heard Minecraft was in talks with Oculus and right when FB acquired them, Minecraft said nevermind.

Notch can afford to be picky :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.