The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Importance of a blog on eCommerce site?

Marketing, social media, advertising

TJPB

Defy Ordinary
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 9, 2012
Colorado
How important (or unimportant) is it to have a blog with a few articles published on a newly launched eCommerce website?I have a blog setup without any articles written yet and I'm questioning whether it's worth it. The products are a new brand/line of women's sportswear. I've researched other similar stores and some have blogs, some don't.

Are there any downsides to a blog? One I can think of is putting out to much of a personal opinion about a topic that's related to our target market. And in that way, alienating potential customers. This can be avoided though by the writing style and then angle you use.

Not sure...looking for opinions.

Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
It can be a competitive advantage and differentiator, help build a community around your shop, help establish authority in the topic etc. Should help with SEO too. Drawback is that it's work and it won't happen fast, it will take time to build it up.

QuickLanceFirms

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 28, 2013
It can be a competitive advantage and differentiator, help build a community around your shop, help establish authority in the topic etc. Should help with SEO too. Drawback is that it's work and it won't happen fast, it will take time to build it up.

It does take time but since you're new, it will help dramatically!

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Ok. Thanks for the insights. I'll do up 6 articles or so prior to launch.

Great, do it. Read this before it tho, will help with setting up strategy for content. If you need help there, let me know, I can help brainstorming them and do a plan with you.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009

Bercha

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jun 22, 2013
I'm doing an eCommerce site myself.

I had the same idea about starting a blog. I think there are a lot of pros to it. If your eCommerce site is not doing well, but you do get traffic you can turn the site into a blog, forum or media site.

For me, however, the biggest setback was the fact that I have to specialize in too many things.

Think about it - you need to learn how to write good articles, you need to learn everything about your niche, you need to chase some interviews, follow some niche specific people, etc. On top of that, you need to run an eCommerce site. Advertising is cheap these days, so thats very effective, so you do need to learn how to run ad campaign. On top of that, you have to add products, run the site itself (technically), do all the business things like paying bills, also some customer support. Oh and shipping the products (even if drop shipping, it takes some time).

For me personally its too many things way too different from each other.

Another reason why I chosen not to blog is the fact that I don't really want to learn the niche, I want to learn running eCommerce site and business in general. Blog is in my opinion way too niche dependent.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
I'm doing an eCommerce site myself.

I had the same idea about starting a blog. I think there are a lot of pros to it. If your eCommerce site is not doing well, but you do get traffic you can turn the site into a blog, forum or media site.

For me, however, the biggest setback was the fact that I have to specialize in too many things.

Think about it - you need to learn how to write good articles, you need to learn everything about your niche, you need to chase some interviews, follow some niche specific people, etc. On top of that, you need to run an eCommerce site. Advertising is cheap these days, so thats very effective, so you do need to learn how to run ad campaign. On top of that, you have to add products, run the site itself (technically), do all the business things like paying bills, also some customer support. Oh and shipping the products (even if drop shipping, it takes some time).

For me personally its too many things way too different from each other.

Another reason why I chosen not to blog is the fact that I don't really want to learn the niche, I want to learn running eCommerce site and business in general. Blog is in my opinion way too niche dependent.

Running a biz will always be juggling multiple things, get used to it. And advertising isn't really cheap always, AdWords can be a disaster...

I forgot to mention few podcasts about e commerce: Build Your Online Store with Terry Lin and podcast by Andrew Yuoderian (google his site). Those will be a lot of help.

Bercha

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jun 22, 2013
Running a biz will always be juggling multiple things, get used to it. And advertising isn't really cheap always, AdWords can be a disaster...

I forgot to mention few podcasts about e commerce: Build Your Online Store with Terry Lin and podcast by Andrew Yuoderian (google his site). Those will be a lot of help.

Yeah, I agree with juggling, but those are way too many things way different from each other. I cannot handle that many - I know its a weakness and am aware of it, I compensate it by getting really good in other things that are much wider like sales and leadership.

Those podcasts seems awesome, thanks!

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
Not so important until you build a reputation amongst famous people or Twitter "relevant" people. And I really mean this.

Having used Twitter since the age of 16 and watching trends come and gone, I've noticed most popular brand names, logos, random t-shirt brands.. All have used their relevance from celebrities and marketed that in addition to their brand. It's really amazing what social media can do. I would suggest selling your product, marketing it on Instagram and Twitter..Send free samples to celebrities, they'll @ or tag you..Mind you this only works on C-list celebrities until you build more of a reputation and more people wear your brand. Make Twitter and Instagram a BIG part of what you do.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Yeah, I agree with juggling, but those are way too many things way different from each other. I cannot handle that many - I know its a weakness and am aware of it, I compensate it by getting really good in other things that are much wider like sales and leadership.

Those podcasts seems awesome, thanks!

If you started a shop or a restaurant, you'd be cleaning toilets first etc.. good or bad doesn't really have much to do with it. You can ditch what you're bad at once you have some stable income, but it takes some time. That's why everyone doesn't have their own business. :)

Good, hope they will help a lot!

lilyhollies

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Nov 18, 2013
In my opinion, blogging is absolutely essential, even just from a marketing point of view. The reason is, customer engagement can be enhanced significantly. You don't necessarily have to do blogging by yourself. It could be a community type blog, or you could invite guest bloggers and whatnot.

If you want to see an example that successfully intergrates blogging with eCommerce, take a look at SavvySME Although you will need to sign up to view the articles and the eCommerce section, it is free.

royalasg

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
May 21, 2013
Bangladesh
I have read a ebook regarding internent marketing from 'HubSpot', and in that book one thing I like is that they said "...Start a blog first before anything whether its service, product whatever cos it will help you to build community around you and then start your product and it will readymade customer"

and I also agree with it :)

lilyhollies

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Nov 18, 2013
I have read a ebook regarding internent marketing from 'HubSpot', and in that book one thing I like is that they said "...Start a blog first before anything whether its service, product whatever cos it will help you to build community around you and then start your product and it will readymade customer"

However starting a blog does not guarantee you of a community. An advantage I can think of is that customers can view some content of the site, and that its not empty.

S

stranger

The more pages your e-store has, the more keywords you may use. More keywords = more free traffic. Hire a cheap writer and start your blog. Just my opinion.

StevenFlecha

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Nov 25, 2013
Location Idependent
as mentioned various times creating a community and relation with your visitors and customer is of course very important. Besides that the SEO value of a blog on your eCommerce site is also very big. Google loves fresh content + visitor interaction.

That and you can use your blog to share valuable content and get shared and go 'viral'.

Then last but not least it also just creates trust. Recent post show visitors there is somebody there.. something is happening the site is still alive. I don't remember the exact number and don't have the source any more but I remember reading some research that ecommerce site which had blogs overall did 60 or so % better then sites who didn't...

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
Blogs are mighty fine, if you go about it the right way. If it's all just cheap copywriting and fluff, don't even bother. Valuable posts on the other hand, are worth it.

“I’ve talked to a lot of other companies about how to replicate [OkTrends],” Rudder explained. “People will get in touch with me and they’re like, ‘Oh, we’re thinking about starting our own OkTrends blog and that’s the first thing I tell them–nobody gives a shit about your website. And then, lo and behold, when their first post comes out it’s all about how sweet their users are and [saturated] with their logos. It’s just garbage.”
from this article.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.