The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

If you could go back to being 20...

LaughedAt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 20, 2007
Israel
I got this thread idea from a post member Rawr made, I think this thread could help us youngsters become more effective and achieve more goals in our lives.
So here goes, if you could get back to being 20 years old, what things would you change about yourself or what things would you do that you regret not doing (or the other way around), this is not about business decisions only, you're free to talk about everything from relocating, relationships, jobs, family...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Excellent. I am sure a lot of people will have different answers depending on their values today.

Personally I would never have had sex with Jaime. Big mistake. haha

Secondly, I would be better at planning and working harder to better my work ethic. I would try to apply the principle of work hard now, and have the financial freedoms later. When I was 20, if I had money I would find ways to spend it luxuriously. There was not even a hint of guilt or a spec of conscience telling me to sock it away for a rainy day.

With that said, I would have saved a lot more and not worried so much about spending it with my friends. It was nice to have friends then but I only see one of them today, while the rest have moved away or moved on. A lot of the friendships were superficial.

When I was a kid, everything was a lot more emotional. Everything seemed like a big deal. I guess it was part of learning to cope with stress. Today life seems to go by easily and effortlessly without a whole lot of emotion. No I am not on meds :rofl:

But where I am going with this is the simple fact that the current friends I have now are real and based less on who is cool and who isn't but more on values and similar lifestyles. If I had spent less time tossing money away when I was a kid with superficial friends, I would have a lot more now I could spend with my true friends.

I would have more investments and ways to help out my friends who may be in need of it. I can do it to a smaller degree now but if I socked away my money starting at 16, lived frugally knowing full well that it will pay off in the future. Have a 20 year plan I would have easily been a millionaire without a question. Probably not much over that 1 million mark but better off than I am today.

FreeYourMind

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
May 19, 2008
I would make sure to live beneath my means. Meaning, I would live as cheaply as possible to ensure that I am giving myself the best opportunity of achieving financial freedom. If your monthly expenses are only $2,000 as opposed to $5,000, achieving your goal of financial freedom becomes much easier! Once you become accustomed to a certain lifestyle, it's very hard to go revert to one that consists of less material things.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Not a damn thing.

Every mistake I've made and experience I've encountered has made me the person I am today. For me, thinking about what I would have changed, doesn't help me make changes for tomorrow.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
Well, while I am still not 20, if I could go back to being 15, I would do many things different.

#1- I would keep Mr. Arrogant out of my attitude. :)
#2- Know that in order to be successful you must be leader.
#3- Mind your own business
#4- Chasing money will get you nowhere, you will just look like a fool.
#5- Show class in every situation.
#6- Do not care what other's say about you. You are the player,while they are just spectating.
#7- Life is short and unpredictable
#8- Taking action is more important than just thinking or talking.
#9- Signing up to this forum, instead of just being a lurker.

:fastlane: :smxF:

I have learned from my mistakes over the past years and I am glad I did. My mistakes and successes have molded me into the person I am today.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Not a damn thing.

Every mistake I've made and experience I've encountered has made me the person I am today. For me, thinking about what I would have changed, doesn't help me make changes for tomorrow.

Same here.

I would not change a thing. There is always unpredictable consequence.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
I think it is important to accept mistakes and learn from them. If you can't look back in life and pick out things that you goofed on then how do you learn not to make the same mistakes in the future. You may not want to change them since those mistakes have turned into life lessons and you learned a great deal from it.

Just like running a business it's nice to reflect on the previous year and jot down things you would have done differently. This is how you become better and learn not to make the same mistakes twice.

LaughedAt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 20, 2007
Israel
Not a damn thing.

First of all, thanks for the thoughtful reply mtman, and I somehow agree with you, it might be my fault not explaining the purpose of this thread.
What I meant wasn't exactly things you absolutely regret or regret not doing, what I wanted to hear is things had you done differently would have benefited you or get you one step closer to your goals, and the purpose of that is that we young people can learn from more experienced and educated members and maybe that would help us not make the same mistakes!

Again thanks for the reply and I hope I made myself clearer now :smx6:

Dhappy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 24, 2008
Be more of a hound dog. I passed up many woman because I was a nice guy. The women then went out and found a not so nice guy and did the do.

I would have more confidence in myself with women. When I was in high school, I was in love with a girl named wendy abbott. She did not know it, I went through 4 years of high school looking at her. I was to afraid to open my mouth and talk to her. I knew she would never go out with me.

About 10 years later I ran into her walking down high street. She stop me and said hi Dan remember me. I sad yes and she said you are not going to believe this ,but I had such a crush on you all through high school. She was now married

rcardin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 30, 2007
Arlington, TX
I wouldn't have changed much except maybe to have followed through with school. After 6 schools in 4 different states and 12 years of on again off again college I finally got my degree in 1997. Boy those 12 years were a blast though.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
I live in Bangor. Not too far from Stephen King's house.

I forgot about this till you pm'ed me.

I've been going to eustis for almost 20 years... 2.5 hrs northwest of you... about 30 min past sugarloaf on 27.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Eustis wow.

Can't get theyah from heeyah

You familiar with Bethel, ME? Sunday River?

I grew up there.. Skied on the high school team. Did X-Country as well.

I lived in hearing distance of the Sunday River Brew Pub. Could hear the bands playing every Thursday and Friday night. :smx9:

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
I would have more confidence in myself with women.

Dhappy,

Ditto.

I wasn't "the guy" in high school -- we all know who "the guy/s" were -- so my radar wasn't too effective with regard to recognizing female attention when it was thrown my way. I could've had many more hookups had I been aware of the vibes some girls were telegraphing. However, as I got older, I became very comfortable in my skin in a way that attracted women that other cats considered "dimes".

Plus, I was an actor and, therefore, used to rejection. Rolling up to a lady, introducing myself, finding out her interests and asking for a date was like auditioning for a gig to me -- I either got the job or I didn't. The worst that could be said was no. Did I strike out? Hell yeah. A lot. Did I hit pay dirt? Sure did. In fact, I pulled a Playboy Cover ten minutes after walking onto a set where all the other guys had been standing around all day, ogling, afraid to make a move. That's another story for another time.:smug2:

I would take more pictures with my good friends. I often look back on those late night hang sessions, at the local 24 hour deli, and think about the people I associated with. They were a fun group -- some of them I haven't seen in over fifteen years. It would be nice to have a snapshot of a responsibility-free time in my life.

And, of course, I would travel more. There is no better way of educating oneself than getting out and experiencing all the world has to offer.

czach41

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Oct 11, 2007
Denver
If I could go back four years, the biggest thing I'd change with myself is to meet as many people as I possibly could. Only until recently have I been comfortable introducing myself and having conversations with complete strangers. Having contacts in various fields is invaluable, to not only business but in life. The more I do it, the easier and more enjoyable it gets. Never shut the door on people, because you never know what is on the other side!
For example, last Sunday a complete stranger knocked on my apartment door. He was one of those religious people. Usually I'd just say no thanks, but I ended up talking to him for 45 minutes. What started as a talk on religion turned into his business. Now, not only have we spoke on the phone a few times, but he is leaning on me to help generate more leads for his car detailing service here in town. I'm thinking of a way to generate leads for him, in return for a price of course. All this because I decided to see what he had to say.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.