The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I have a 9 figure idea, but I don't think I can make the deadline.

Idea threads

i3ond

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Jun 2, 2013
Alright this is where I'm at.

My idea is a internet service per se.
The idea solves a big problem.
The solution is currently being solved manually and inefficiently on a small scale.
The solution will be solved with a computer program.
There is no competition currently.
The solution has long-term earning potential.

What it needs to be successful.

A person with strong programming skills with creating variables and formulas.
Good web design, marketing and networking skills.
Would need to temp relocate to market and expand.
100k+ capital maybe less if teamed up with well experienced people.

Why?

So far i've invested about 4 days in developing a plan and strategy.
I know there is a need and I know that it will work I'm just missing one thing.

1. Time. through my research I found that another company plans to use a similar idea to create their own service and open it to the public within 12-15 months. They have experience in relation to this service, more capital and better marketing. The only way I can see coming out on top is by coming out first and gaining the market share before them.

I'm inexperienced, need capital and learn or hire a programmer. Time here is definitely a large threat. I don't know if I can find investors and gain the necessary tools in time to make it happen.

I really really don't like the competition company. I'm debating giving my idea away instead of seeing them make a profit.

Any Advice?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Sounds like you want to be "the idea guy."

In the "what it needs to be successful," appears to be every single aspect of the company. If you raise the capital and dictate the tasks, then you've found your part. If your looking for a partner to literally take on the entire thing, never gonna happen.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Find something else.

limitup

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
652%
Dec 30, 2012
San Diego
Ideas are almost worthless. It's execution that's important. Can you execute? What exactly do you see your role being?

AmyQ

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 5, 2013
Having one competitor with the same idea/plan is not a bad thing in my opinion. If anything, it helps establish proof of concept in an untested market. If the service is even half as good as you think it is, you will have hundreds or thousands of competitors in no time and will need to distinguish yourself in the marketplace.

I agree with others that the main problem is the value you bring to a potential investor. Do you have experience in marketing, hiring and managing coders or managing a business? Do you have access to potential investors? Is the 100k of capital a guestimate or do you have a business plan and budget?

MartyMcGee

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jun 8, 2013
I agree with AmyQ, having a direct competitor is to necessarily a bad thing. At least it shows that there's a market and you can also look at their business model / customer base and see if you can innovate / differentiate somehow.

Sounds like you might need a business partner though who can keep you balanced and bring the other experience to the table.

i3ond

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Jun 2, 2013
Thank you for your responses. I read every one of them and I value your honesty.

I currently have a website, I'm learning to code to aid my future partner and I have some investors that I'm looking into.

My focus is solely on solving the problem the best I can and not on time or competition.

Thanks again. I'll keep you informed.

MartyMcGee

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jun 8, 2013
A useful resource

i3ond, might I suggest you check out a website called Yekkit (www.yekkit.com). it's kind of an online community where you can find co-founders for your business.

I've posted a couple of articles there before and it seems like a really useful idea if you're legitimately trying to find a business partner who can help you establish and grow the start-up.

Certainly worth a look anyway!

Cheers,
Marty.

MartyMcGee

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jun 8, 2013
Spam.
site has 4 listing. 1 a sample ad, the other a webmaster for yekkit needed... really?

Mate, it's not spam at all. As noted in a couple of the posts on there, the website was only launched this week so it's definitely in it's infancy. I reckon it's got great potential though. There are a bunch of articles on there by a few different contributors and you can see that there is new content being added everyday. Give it a chance, eh?

I think, as with any new service, it's going to be difficult to get a critical mass of people on there but it's very far from being spam!

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
i3ond, might I suggest you check out a website called Yekkit (Yekkit | Where great ideas meet great people). it's kind of an online community where you can find co-founders for your business.

I've posted a couple of articles there before and it seems like a really useful idea if you're legitimately trying to find a business partner who can help you establish and grow the start-up.

Certainly worth a look anyway!

Mate, it's not spam at all. As noted in a couple of the posts on there, the website was only launched this week so it's definitely in it's infancy. I reckon it's got great potential though. There are a bunch of articles on there by a few different contributors and you can see that there is new content being added everyday. Give it a chance, eh?

:eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

performance of a lifetime. Spammity spam MartyMcGee, goodluck with your site though.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
i3ond, might I suggest you check out a website called Yekkit (Yekkit | Where great ideas meet great people). it's kind of an online community where you can find co-founders for your business.

Well I would have hoped you posted a couple articles there seeing you are the owner/administrator.

You know, sometimes I let stuff like this go if it adds legit value...

However, in this case, you just lied to all of us.

Do you think that's a valid way to market and introduce a website to a community? By lying and giving us a fake endorsement, as if you just casually stumbled upon the website? (Yes, I checked your email address.)

So now people here are calling you a spammer ... and now they can call you a liar.

Not a very good start around here...

Anyhow, I do wish you well with the website.

SpeedRacer

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
May 16, 2011
i3Bond: how have you validated that there are buyers for your service?

MartyMcGee

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jun 8, 2013
Well I would have hoped you posted a couple articles there seeing you are the owner/administrator.

You know, sometimes I let stuff like this go if it adds legit value...

However, in this case, you just lied to all of us.

Do you think that's a valid way to market and introduce a website to a community? By lying and giving us a fake endorsement, as if you just casually stumbled upon the website? (Yes, I checked your email address.)

So now people here are calling you a spammer ... and now they can call you a liar.

Not a very good start around here...

Anyhow, I do wish you well with the website.

Guys, I think you have seriously got the wrong end of the stick. Its truly sad that you would jump to such a negative conclusion so quickly.

Yes, I am affiliated with the site, as I previously said. No, I am not the owner but I do use their administrator email address as I am helping the guys there get things off the ground and it helps to see relevant correspondence. You think if I was trying o hide my identity I would make such a glaring omission!? Come on.

I have in no way lied about this or misrepresented myself or pretended that i stumbled upon the website, as you say. Please check the original post. Furthermore, I was posting a relevant answer to a specific question. You can check my other posts. Where there is no connection or relevance, I've not mentioned the website at all.

What is it about the Internet that makes people immediately think the worst about someone? And you call me a spammer and a liar?

Very hurtful actually.

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
I'm a high-end programmer; but would need to know a little more about the idea to see within its within my skillset. You don't have to tell me the full idea, but feel free to PM me some details, if it's interesting enough to me I may be interested in doing something with you.

stephanduq

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Apr 7, 2013
Guys, I think you have seriously got the wrong end of the stick. Its truly sad that you would jump to such a negative conclusion so quickly.

Yes, I am affiliated with the site, as I previously said. No, I am not the owner but I do use their administrator email address as I am helping the guys there get things off the ground and it helps to see relevant correspondence. You think if I was trying o hide my identity I would make such a glaring omission!? Come on.

I have in no way lied about this or misrepresented myself or pretended that i stumbled upon the website, as you say. Please check the original post. Furthermore, I was posting a relevant answer to a specific question. You can check my other posts. Where there is no connection or relevance, I've not mentioned the website at all.

What is it about the Internet that makes people immediately think the worst about someone? And you call me a spammer and a liar?

Very hurtful actually.

Stop making it about you. There is a place for promoting yourself, getting feedback and replying to it. That is not in the thread of someone else. You are simply ignoring netiquette and it is not appreciated, deal with it.

I3ond: Nine figures is a lot, and highly unlikely that a first version is going to create that for you. How about starting with the smallest possible iteration of your idea, and then scale it up from there after you got some early adaptors? Early adaptors are great to work with, they are forgiving, help you with your priority list, and over time turn into evangelists of your product. And you don't need a fully working concept to attract them, just a premisse, the main feature working and potential for being something amazing.

MartyMcGee

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jun 8, 2013
Sorry, I feel that there are a lot of people seriously derailing this conversation and this is not the place to respond to trolls. i3ond, please accept my sincerest apologies for my part. I will not post any more comments on this thread to avoid further controversy. I wish you the best of luck with your business endeavour.

Marty.

ricktx

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Jun 27, 2013
Texas, USA
I am experienced with everything from database programming to data center operations. Been in IT since 1985. PM me the idea, and if I have anything to offer I will get in touch.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Sorry, I feel that there are a lot of people seriously derailing this conversation and this is not the place to respond to trolls. i3ond, please accept my sincerest apologies for my part. I will not post any more comments on this thread to avoid further controversy. I wish you the best of luck with your business endeavour.

Marty.

Speed+ for knowing that this isn't the place to talk about it and argue about this specific issue.

i3ond... the software side of this sounds sexy right? Automated software to other peoples problems, etc.

I think what's best for YOU to do to get this thing off the ground is to manually do the problem. I know it's already "being solved manually and inefficiently on a small scale" but I feel you need to actually be profitible in the space before a partner/investor takes you seriously.

Maybe this big internet problem people are having involves manually typing one type of data in another format.... and you want to create a software to do this automatically? I say jump in as a freelancer and do it manually for 3 months. Hire other freelancers to work under you and manually do it. Prove that there's money to be made in the space, and once you're profitable THEN start building a software. People will already be coming to you for the service and you wouldn't have to change anything... you'd already have marketshare.

What you're doing now is coming up with an idea, wanting somebody else to do the hard work (marketing? Coding? $100k? 'What it takes to succeed'?)... and then MAYBE you'll get market share and MAYBE people will want to buy it from you.

See how the hard route (starting off doing it yourself) is a much better way to get rolling?

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
PM me the idea and I will tell you how much it will cost to develop it. My firm works with this exact type of work. (developing) So yea. I'll tell you how much it will cost, plus give you scale on marketing, depending on how large of a campaign costs will fluctuate. So yea, shoot me a message boss.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.