The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Monetize?

eslater

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Oct 16, 2011
Toronto, Canada
I have had several ideas for Internet businesses and a fairly common theme is the issue of requiring content in order to attract users. Take for example a site that lists apartments for rent. If you charge users for posting apartments you may not get enough to attract the users but if you offer listings for free then how would you monetize the site?

One common thing is to offer "enhanced" listings. Does anyone have some suggestions?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Robre

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If you have people going the money will follow. Offer free listings.

Brootal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 30, 2009
Virginia
call up places that are listing on other "for rent" sites and offer them a few 60 day trial on your site.

If you are providing them value, then after 60 days there shouldn't be much of a problem charging.

G-man422

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 5, 2011
Ohio, USA
Offer it completely free, build it up to critical mass, and you'll have companies throwing money at you to advertise on the site. Then just sell it :)

eslater

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Oct 16, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

It looks like the consensus is to offer free listings and then either charge for the listing or sell advertising. If I go with offering advertising how would you go about this? Is it better to sell direct or go through an advertising network? Can anyone point me to a resource that discusses what type of rates you can charge and is it better to charge PPV or PPC?

Also, would it be a bad idea to charge people looking for places to be alerted when their ideal place becomes available or is this something that should be free?

Thanks again everyone!

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Your main problem I see is how to create value for your advertisers.. You can have 1,000 advertisers but if no one comes to your site, no one will renew and you will make no money..

How do you get renters to visit your site??

Not sure how to bring people to the site but,

First I think you should put a pic of every apt in America and then call all the "apt locators" then see how much they will give you per lead... they sometimes makes as high as two months rent for finding someone, so they can afford to pay you 100 bucks..

But again not sure how to get people who need apts to go to your site..

A

Anon3587x

First I think you should put a pic of every apt in America and then call all the "apt locators" then see how much they will give you per lead... they sometimes makes as high as two months rent for finding someone, so they can afford to pay you 100 bucks..

This is the kind of information I love to read.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Hey thanks, sometimes I like giving that kind of information..

Makes me think I is smart...

Giles

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 11, 2007
Advertising or charge for listings.

Advertising:
Start with small banner ads (maybe even call potential advertisers direct) then once there is traffic move onto the big boys. This is what I do full time, and have signed close to $10k of online advertising today on two sites. Online banner ads are not dead.

Charge for listings:
I sell listings too. $49 per listing or $200 per listing is the rates I sell at. Doesn't sound like much, but you only need a few thousand listings to be bringing in good money.

What you need for both of these to work: traffic (more the better!)

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
I have had several ideas for Internet businesses and a fairly common theme is the issue of requiring content in order to attract users. Take for example a site that lists apartments for rent. If you charge users for posting apartments you may not get enough to attract the users but if you offer listings for free then how would you monetize the site?

One common thing is to offer "enhanced" listings. Does anyone have some suggestions?

I've got an idea on how to make this an absolute home run. It will take time commitment (aka WORK) and a little bit of $$$ to set up the website though (unless you know php, css, & mysql). PM me if you're serious.

Advertising or charge for listings.

Advertising:
Start with small banner ads (maybe even call potential advertisers direct) then once there is traffic move onto the big boys. This is what I do full time, and have signed close to $10k of online advertising today on two sites. Online banner ads are not dead.

Charge for listings:
I sell listings too. $49 per listing or $200 per listing is the rates I sell at. Doesn't sound like much, but you only need a few thousand listings to be bringing in good money.

What you need for both of these to work: traffic (more the better!)

Good to see you back on the forum Giles! Sending you some Speed++ just because I always thought you were cool. :banana:

eslater

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Oct 16, 2011
Toronto, Canada
But again not sure how to get people who need apts to go to your site..

I think the key to traffic is having useful listing and lots of them. Right now most people where I live use either Craigslist or one of the local papers classifieds (there are about 3 papers people use). The problem with each of them is the listing itself. Generally not much information other than the basics.

What if a listing showed you on a map where it is and what is located in the area like schools, parks, bars and restaurants. You could have links to Yelp and other such sites for reviews etc...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.