The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How To Design And "Manufacture" A Clothing Item?

GThreepwood

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Sep 12, 2012
Hey everyone,

I hope you're doing great!

I have an idea for a unique piece of clothing for pets actually :)

I've got the general design in my brain right now, and going to make a super-crude prototype "garage style" and if it works out I'd like to get a *real* well thought out design mocked up and then actually manufactured.

Honestly, I have no idea how to design clothes in a way that a manufacturer would understand, or who to even contact at all.

I've done some googling, and looked around here a bit, the best I've found is ThomasNet® - Product Sourcing and Supplier Discovery Platform so far for manufacturers.

But I wanted to see if anyone has any pointers or could send me down the right path.

I really appreciate your help, and happy Wednesday!
-Sean

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Chris Becker

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Aug 11, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
But I wanted to see if anyone has any pointers or could send me down the right path.
Hey GThreepwood,
Look into a guy named Stephen Key. He has written two books, and the first one One Simple Idea talks in the first couple chapters somewhere about how he got started in soft goods. I would be able to give you a more specific answer but the book is in WI and I am working in PA this week!

There is some good advice on a post on a different forum I found a while ago. I had to dig around to to find it but the link is Designing a clothing range and getting it manufactured Check it out, I hope that helps. Do you have a website with any sneak previews?

Alana

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Nov 16, 2012
In the middle of a national forest (in N. CA)
I personally would go to a fabric store and look at all the different kinds of fabric that would best fit your design (and realize that different fabrics have different properties...if you need it to stretch a little or be washing/drying machine friendly, etc etc...the store workers can help you with this) . I'd buy the fabric and take a rough sketch of what I wanted to the nearest seamstress (or any kind of sewing store....they have tons of people there with serious sewing skills that would not mind at all sewing your idea for a coupe o'bucks).
If this is something as simple as just sewing fabric together, then I wouldn't think you need to contact some big company to get a professional prototype.
I can knit, crochet, sew etc....because I taught myself how with the help of the internet and my late grandma's old busted sewing machine/needles. Nothing wrong with picking up some thread and a needle.....

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.