The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to build website?

Preisler

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 20, 2013
Hi

I am maybe somehow going to build a website for the new trend "rent out your stuff", where people can rent our their stuff and also rent other peoples stuff.

Here is a site allready doing it (danish):
Jepti - udlejning - lej udlej

Anybody out there who knows how to learn how to build a website from scratch? I read others blogs on this fastlaneforum where they set up websites.
But when I ask people how to build a website, someone says "use wordpress" and someone says "it will take 6 months to a year to learn".
Currently I have no money to pay someone else to do it.

Is this website Jepti - udlejning - lej udlej possibly created in wordpress?

Or are these my only possibilities?:
1: Spend 6-12 months learning to build websites first.
2: Spend 3-4 months at a job and then pay someone else to do it.

Thanks,

Jonas Preisler

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Preisler

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 20, 2013
You could also modify Templates, and save huge time instead of building from the Scratch.

Thanks you Autobahn. But does a template in Wordpress allow guests to create their own profile, upload pictures and receive payments with other profiles?

I thought Wordpress is only for very basic websites with very few features.

rorschach

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2011
Belgium
I would create a simple mockup or coming soon page to see if people are interested first.

Here's a quick, cheap way to create coming soon pages(LaunchRock.co). I would try to get people to sign up. If you have enough signups it's a sign that there's enough interest in it. If you don't have enough signups you didn't waste €8000 on a developer

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Sounds to me like your best option would be to hire someone to do it. You can probably get something like this done for less than $1000 on Elance or oDesk. That is, unless you are familiar with modifying CMS systems and integrating payment portals. Doesn't sound like it to me.

FYI, Wordpress would NOT be the best solution for a project like this.

FearAverage

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jul 22, 2012
The Netherlands
Anybody out there who knows how to learn how to build a website from scratch? I read others blogs on this fastlaneforum where they set up websites.
But when I ask people how to build a website, someone says "use wordpress" and someone says "it will take 6 months to a year to learn".

Is this website Jepti - udlejning - lej udlej possibly created in wordpress?

That website was made with PHP using the CodeIgniter framework. So it's a custom made website, no CMS.
If you want to learn to build your own website you should first learn HTML/CSS, then learn Javascript and jQuery and if you want to do more advanced back-end stuff I would suggest PHP. Since you want people to be able to register you'll also need to learn mySQL.
This may seem like a lot but you can learn html, css, javascript and jquery within a month. You'll not be an expert but you will have enough knowledge to create your own site from scratch using snippets, tutorials etc.

You can build it in wordpress too.
Pick out a template that looks good, tweak it a bit and then look for plug-ins for the other functions (creating a profile, uploading pictures and receiving payments)

D

DeletedUser2

Last edited by a moderator:

Preisler

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 20, 2013
Thanks for your answers guys, really helpful.

I would create a simple mockup or coming soon page to see if people are interested first.

I guess that is not needed since so many people joined the other sites already, which shows that they must be interested.

You can probably get something like this done for less than $1000 on Elance or oDesk.

If I get someone on Elance or oDesk to do it, am I then "stuck" with that person? If say, I want some changes on the site in the future, can I then hire someone else to do it, or does it have to be the same?

That website was made with PHP using the CodeIgniter framework.

Is that something like this? EllisLab

read through this thread, about the same business, and then the other thread I commented on that outlines in detail about the rent to others

Thank you , will definitely take a look at this tonight.

MPCTrainer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
May 20, 2013
Post the project on Elance, let people talk about their idea, persuade someone to do it for free for future earnings. Believe it or not, if you're passionate, you can make other people passionate about it as well. My friend launched three websites, with coding from one guy that works as a Programmer in Microsoft. That's the best suggestion I have. If you can't persuade someone to join you on a good idea, it's probably not a good idea to begin with, or you're not the right person to be doing it.

fsna.hartley

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jan 15, 2013
Hi Jonas, building from scratch will really take more time to study
because you will have to study first the programming side, designing and building everything.

However, you have the option to learn and build it fast even in 2 weeks.
If you spend more time learning on it. Money is not a hindrance when you really want to learn new things. So to help you get started:

There are 3 steps how to set up a website:

1. Get your domain
2. Get your hosting
3. Setup the website using wordpress

There are a lot of free tutorial videos on the internet so that would be a better way for you without spending any amount of money.

presh22

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 13, 2013
Just wanted to add I think you've discovered a very unique niche. How did you find this site, and what was your motivation to operate in this segment? I have bounced this idea around many times, but never phased into the research time. More pertinent to your question: I think Wordpress does not take long to learn. You can learn it in one week as a hobby, I did. It has limitations which will inevitability affect your offering. Getting it to market and gaining exposure is great, but don't rush into the website if you haven't forecast your revenue engine. Or do you intend to simply copy the foreign company? Nothing wrong with it.

Preisler

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 20, 2013
1. Get your domain
2. Get your hosting
3. Setup the website using wordpress

Thank you. But I allready know how to build a wordpress-site. I've tried before, but I don't think it is possible in Wordpress to build a site that allows guests to register as a member and then upload pictures and receive money. Or is it?

Just wanted to add I think you've discovered a very unique niche. How did you find this site, and what was your motivation to operate in this segment?

My motivation is that I see the sharing-economy is getting popular, and I think it's here to stay. And I think the big money is in owning the platforms for it.

Check out these sites.

https://www.cookening.com/

https://www.airbnb.com

http://relayride.com

Google

fsna.hartley

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jan 15, 2013
Thank you. But I allready know how to build a wordpress-site. I've tried before, but I don't think it is possible in Wordpress to build a site that allows guests to register as a member and then upload pictures and receive money. Or is it?

So far, what I know is on member registration where I use s2 member wordpress plugin for membership registration only. I haven' tried this one but you might want to check : NextGEN Public Uploader. It allows frontend image uploads for your users.

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011
That's a site that you'd need to build as a web application.

If you don't plan on building more than 1 kind of web application, like this one, then I suggest that you pay someone to do it or convince a developer to build it for you in exchange for some type of consideration to keep your contract legal. (you can't create a contract to promise consideration/payment in the future if there may not be any. That's an 'illusory' contract)

If you DO plan on building more than one kind of application, then I'd suggest learning Ruby on Rails. Consider yourself a jr. developer and build something good enough to earn money so that you can pass off the developing task to more experienced developers.

It will take you about a year if you're doing this part time because honestly the learning curve is a bitch. I know because I'm in the EXACT same boat as you. No money, just an idea and a potential market. I decided I'd focus on making my business an online business through a web application of some sort so it made sense that I simply just learn the damn language and get to work.

So, if that's something you want to do, I'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

Preisler

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 20, 2013
Ok thanks for your replies.
Bought a wordpress theme, so now I will try to build it that way.
Fest Portal | Alt Til Din Fest

--------------------------------------------------

Besides that, I came up with another idea - a book, based on these threads:

What advice would you give a younger you? | A conversation on TED.com

Meg Jay: Why 30 is not the new 20 | Video on TED.com

...to get people to write their advices and form it into a book.

Created the site Letters To The Younger Me - "What I Wish I Knew In My 20's" so people can share their advices, and then I'll pick like 100-200 most interesting comments and create a book out of it. Maybe with different categories - health, relationships, career and so on.

It seems like people over 30+ like to share their thoughts on it - and I think people in their 20s who are into self development would LOVE this read.
Fx this video: Top 10 mistakes to avoid in your 20s - YouTube

Preisler

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 20, 2013
I'm only learning about business and my ideas tend to be a little all over the place, so if you have some thoughts on this, feel free to comment.

ebtor

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
May 16, 2013

I am learning how to build a website from scratch without coding via the product Adobe Muse. Adobe offers a subscription based service. I'm also using adobe's hosting service called Business Catalyst Or BC. It allowed me to easily setup a members only page with auto-generated passwords among other features. I can find everything I'm looking for without knowing the programming lingo used.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.