The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How much is to much?

Banthaman

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Apr 15, 2008
Earth... yes that is specific
There's probably some other thread out there like this but I just wanted to throw this out there.

I was just talking with my wife about getting involved with a pregnancy help website. We are experiencing a number of things in life with ... pretty much life in general as well as some hard actions taken against my wife's parents when it comes to the grandkids and our marriage and parenting. It's been difficult to say the least as she is far more affected than I am in that area. I am also looking at starting school next fall to finish my BS and our children are nearing the school age (my oldest in K as of next fall) to which we are intending to home school. Neither of use are ones to back down to a challenge though when it comes to the home schooling we agreed if it is hurting more than helping to explore other options.

My question is how do you know when you have all that you can handle on your plate? I refuse to make excuses for myself not to do things but how does one draw the line between being a doer and being stubborn?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Probably you've had enough when you're asking theses questions.

When most people think of home schooling they get the mental image of them doing all the teaching to their own kids around the kitchen table. This can be both good and bad. It doesn't have to be that way. Many areas have co-ops where home school parents teach to their strengths. They may teach other kids as well as their own. The groups also schedule field trips, fine arts, and athletic stuff together. It takes some of the direct pressure off of you as a parent.

Sorry to hear about all the things straining you right now. Holidays also tend to magnify the good as well as not so good. I wish you well.:cheers:

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
Runum - good point about the holidays stressing people out. Probably in best interest to just get the holidays out of the way before making life changing decisions.

maybe try the school before jumping into home schooling so you can focus on some of the other things that might need a lot of attention....

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
What does "getting involved with a pregnancy help website" mean?

Personally I have never been good with balance, so I am probably the wrong person to answer this. I don't like balancing a million things. I much prefer to prioritize and then cut things that aren't a priority out. For example, if you and your wife sit down and decide that your top 4 task-related priorities are homeschooling the kids, working or working your plan and each other, then you only fill up "extra" time with everything else as that time becomes available.

GoldenEggs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
I agree that if you are asking if you have too much to handle, that could mean your plate is already full.

It also sounds like that you do not have much support, atleast from family, which can make things more difficult. I second the recommendation to find a homeschooling co-op near you. Are there other familes near you that share similar parenting philosophies?

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
I have lots of random thoughts about this topic... sorry if this post ends up incoherent.

A lot of times in our culture, we think that our decisions are "either - or." This line of thought can end up being limiting, or overwhelming. Rather, I've grown to think in terms of "and - also" Think about how you can integrate all parts of your life. You don't have to keep things in "compartments." If you do embark on the homeschooling adventure, you will soon discover that homeschooling becomes a part of your life and your every day activities. Your kids get integrated into your life and you find teaching moments in all you do. There will still be some focused "school time" but not nearly as much as you would initially think.

I started homeschooling my kids when I was still in college. How did I do it? The kids came with me. Back of the room, crayons, and a juice. (or, for a baby, a sling is all you need)

The book "continuum concept" ([ame]http://www.amazon.com/Continuum-Concept-Happiness-Classics-Development/dp/0201050714/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1228442586&sr=1-1[/ame]) was really influential for me in this line of thought. It is about a tribe somewhere in South America and how they raise their children. Essentially, the kids become absorbed into the lives of the adults, rather than the adults stopping their life in order to totally focus on the child.

Another random thought: The following quote came from a homeschooling book I read about a year into the homeschool journey... and it always helps me if I am thinking of taking on one more thing:

Live your life in chapters. You don't have to accomplish everything in this chapter of raising children.
~ A Well Trained Mind

As Yves mentioned... list your top priorities. Bring your kids into your life. They are capable of understanding much more than we give them credit for. Then, if you notice you have taken on too much, remember that you can live your life in chapters - - and some of your "things" can be delayed until the next chapter.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I'm not sure where you live but there are some really great options out there for homeschooling that can ease some of the "time" factor for parents, including online charter school/public schools that the kids can advance through at their own pace.

www.k12.com has both online public schools, online private schools, and consumer purchased products for home schooling.

Sue

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.