The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How much do sites make per month?

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
The more I look into website and whatnot for income I wounder this. I mean, you see sites and on their advertise with us page it usually says we get 500k, 1M, 3M, etc unique visitors per month. How much do you think those kind of sites make from advertisers? i realize it depends on your niche, but on average I'm asking.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Milenko

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 6, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Generic traffic isn't worth nearly as much as targeted traffic - here are some CPM stats for display ads across several different verticals: https://docs.google.com/fileview?id...zMtZTk1Yy00NTgwLWJhYzItMjMzMjJjYmJiZDRh&hl=en

The average looks to be around $7.00 per thousand impressions so some wildly speculative guesses for 500k impressions would see a gross of around $3,500; 1M around $7,000; and 3M around $21,000....

MCD

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Mar 26, 2011
Too many factors to count. Including marketing, niche, SEO, traffic and method of monetization. Anywhere between 0-1,000,000,000 a year. Don't worry about money just started to see for yourself, if it doesn't work sell it, or abandon it.

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
Go over to flippa.com

Netprofit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Feb 11, 2011
Sweden
So let's say I have a "regular" website with good content and I get about 100 000 unique visitors per day and 1 million page views. How much would this site make at least?

Marian

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Feb 15, 2011
If you want to go the advertising route, it depends on alot on the quality of traffic and how your brand is perceived by people online.

I've known people that have paid ALOT more for media buys on small websites then on the big ones simply because the traffic that they got from that website converted better for theyr products.

It also depends which route you want to go: direct media buys or managed media buys.

With direct media buys you may ask more money but might get less customers, because you have to wait for people to contact you.

With managed media buys you sign up for a company like pulse360 and they will bring you into their network. Once that happens you will constantly have ads on your website but you might be making less money per ad. Why?

Because with companies like pulse360 you can do deals as an advertiser.

So if somebody comes and wants to advertise in your vertical he can ask the manager:" Hey dude, I'm gonna buy $100.000 worth of impressions, but I need you to sell them to me at $x CPM". So then they will reduce their profit but they can also reduce some of yours for the sake of landing a 'big fish'.

As a side note, I personally hate using advertising for a website, it is MUCH more profitable to sell your own product or as an affiliate, build a list and then monetize that.

If you have a website that isn't like Engadget for example (news related) you can easily make a $5-$20/month membership option with premium content and guides.

After that you also have the option to promote products as an affiliate (from time to time ofc) INSIDE your membership option...where you already know that people trust you with theyr money.

I know that this might sound like theory talking, but I've seen countless examples of this happening.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
So let's say I have a "regular" website with good content and I get about 100 000 unique visitors per day and 1 million page views. How much would this site make at least?

lets also assume 3 ad slots. You will get about 3 million ad views. If you signup with an ad network like Burst or Tribal Fusion you will make about $1.50/thousand ad views. So at the least you make $450.00. If you do your own direct sales, you might make double or triple that, but you will have a lot of added expense, ad servers, accounting, reporting to the clients. If you are in a niche, like Health, your ad view rate can get in the $5.00 - $8.00 range for a general site, if you have a site on specific conditions you can get into the $20 per thousand ad view range.

If you had a site with that much volume, you would be in top 500 websites or so and competing in the range of Oprah.com, Lifehacker.com, and RollingStone.com .

If you had that volume of traffic you would also be looking to monetize with products and offers, which you would hope to get $10+ for every hundred visitors that show up.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.