The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do Open-Source Products make money?

KC Dash

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Aug 10, 2008
Dallas
How do products like Firefox, OpenOffice.org, MySQL, VLC Media Player, etc., etc. make money with their software? They all are continually building on their platforms and updating along the way, without a clear source of income to pay for it.

How do they monetize being an open-source software? How can you make open-source fastlane?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Nick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 25, 2011
Most of them are non profits, they live through donations and people that support them -- similar to wikipedia. Because of their open source nature and non profit status, they get a lot of volunteers that work for free and update their software, and etc.. so they are not paying development costs and salaries out of their own pocket, like a big software corporation would do.

dnice

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Apr 28, 2011
For Firefox it is my understanding they make money whenever people conduct a search through the Firefox browser search. They partner with all the major search engines and amazon. Whenever you search they make money (hundreds of millions in revenue). So at least for Mozilla it is fastlane.

yahdmon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
May 3, 2012
I live in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
They all make money selling their product.

Just because they are Open Source does now mean they cannot sell their products and even more, be a profitable entity. How possible and/or difficult that is depends upon the product. Their are open source products in almost eveny thing these days from phones to computers, household items and more.

Where are you trying to go?

Halffull

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Oct 25, 2012
There's a few ways.

1. They use their product as a marketing channel, then create other products (37Signals)
2. The offer enterprise support (redhat)
3. They offer custom enterprise solutions or complimentary products (Acquia).
4. They do anything else that having a great marketing channel allows you to do.

KC Dash

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Aug 10, 2008
Dallas
They all make money selling their product.

Just because they are Open Source does now mean they cannot sell their products and even more, be a profitable entity. How possible and/or difficult that is depends upon the product. Their are open source products in almost eveny thing these days from phones to computers, household items and more.

Where are you trying to go?

I am working on a SaaS computer app that I am not 100% sure how I want to sell it when complete. I was toying with the idea of giving it away for free and monetizing off of the free users with upsells, support, added monthly subscriptions, like others have mentioned. I would like to gather users as fast as possible at the beginning--for feedback and testing purposes, to see what direction I want to go with it.

KC Dash

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Aug 10, 2008
Dallas
There's a few ways.

1. They use their product as a marketing channel, then create other products (37Signals)
2. The offer enterprise support (redhat)
3. They offer custom enterprise solutions or complimentary products (Acquia).
4. They do anything else that having a great marketing channel allows you to do.

Either way, I like the idea of adding all of these to the business.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.