The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

how do i make my ideas a reality?

Idea threads
Sep 30, 2011
It depends. A general question has a general answer. Try specifying. Get a paper and write down details and then understand how the details correlate with each other. Understanding is the key. If you have ideas, you have to be able to organize those ideas before you take the next step.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
Bruceton.. living in that place may be a problem adding to your procrastination. The answer is you get up and do it.... you need to put yourself around super aggressive people who get things done to make you feel weak and like a loser.

There are always points in everyones life when they feel like i am just the hardest working, baddest mother out there.... then it happens, you meet a slicker talking, harder working, more money making human being and it challenges you.

Shit 7 am isn't early then its 6am then you meet another guy who is up at 4:45.. shit what.....

You need people that are winners to influence you and make you truly understand what hard work is and what getting stuff done is.

Put yourself around it, hang out with people who have done more than what you want to accomplish, it starts to make it real. When you meet someone 5 years younger than you whose already accomplished your goals it really kicks you in the a$$ too.

You can read threads on here like Jack's Diary of his new business. He has accomplished more in a few months than most people do in a lifetime or decades...

Seeing and understanding these things make you realize how bad you suck at life and need to stop prancing around and start stamping your feet.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BrucetonGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Sep 28, 2011
Thanks Biz but its actually not me we were talking about....it was Spikeroo that started the thread! But I appreciate the motivation!

SuccessInMind

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 3, 2010
Santa Clara, California, United States
I have a few ideas I don't know how to utilize them. can anybody help me please? I can't find any information on here about it thanks!

If you have ideas, then the next thing you need to do is take action. Oh, you don't know what actions to take? Then educate yourself! While there is a lot of information on this forum, you still have to do your own research into what the next steps are. By learning you find out what you need to do and by doing you make your ideas into reality.

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
This post is for all the people that have an idea but don’t know what to do next. This mostly applies to a product that you may want to make or an invention since that is where my experience is.
1) First you need to research it and make sure it has not already been patented. After that you need to look on the internet and make sure it is not already being sold, and if it is then you need to figure out how to improve on that product and make it better.
2) Make sure there is a need for your product. You could ask 1 or 2 very close people or look on the net at forums to see if other people have similar issues.
3) Build a proto type. This would involve you putting the components together yourself or finding somebody who could do it for you.
4) Consider a preventative patent, this will protect you like a regular patent but is only good for a year.
5) Find a customer…..without a customer you have no business.
6) Make arrangements with the manufacturer that built you the proto type for a minimum order of your product. This is something you should already know including cost so you can price out your product correctly.
7) Order your minimum order and start selling.
Other things to consider is to set up your business as a corp. or an LLC or sole proprietor, that is something you can figure out but I would talk to a lawyer or accountant. A UPC number can also be important since many large companies will not do business unless you have one. If you only have one product, you can buy just one UPC number. Big box companies like Walmart and Target also require you to have liability insurance so be ready for that cost. Think about your customer and how you are going to reach them. You will need to build a website as well, so there are up keep costs for that as well.
I think that is enough basic info to get people started, I may think of more stuff to add later but I wanted to post some help since it seems like this question comes up a lot lately.

mrhahn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 21, 2011
San Diego
Just get in there and try something out. Even if it doesn't pan out, you'll learn a lot about things no research could have told you.

deepestblue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 11, 2011
Arizona
ASAP find 2 people who will buy whatever it is you want to sell with their cold cash. Don't put much time into prototyping until you're sure it's a marketable idea. Market first. Failure to do proper market research up front is the #1 reason for the destruction of "ventures".

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
let me tell you what i have done so far. maybe it'll help you.

i have:

1. written all my ideas down.
2. chosen two that may be profitable and feasible with the situation i'm in right now.
3. bought the domain and the hosting, as it is an internet business.
4. began doing market research. i entered a business plan competition with a $75,000 grand prize but that's irrelevant.

i may have done it out of order, i don't know, i don't care. this is my first attempt at making a business and i expect to fail. but take that small step out the door!

Spikeroo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 17, 2011
Merritt Island, Fl
I have an invention but I have no idea how to make it, or anything. I've researched and nothing! so, i think im on to something, its an invention that makes things easier. idk what to do!

D

DeletedUser2

I have an invention but I have no idea how to make it, or anything. I've researched and nothing! so, i think im on to something, its an invention that makes things easier. idk what to do!

your answers and your questions are so general as to be useless. I suggest getting more specific in what you Exact road block is.

you say, you researched and nothing.... ugh what? WTF?

you researched HOW to develop a product? or where to get it made? or where to sell it? or who your market would be? or price points of competitors? or .......

research what exactly. until you get more specific, on what you issues are, your posts are worse than useless. step up your game just a little, come on, I know you can.

if you did 10 min of research you could find the largest network of manufacturing companies on the planet, stretching from china to Anywhere, and they are sorted by category, and its free....... really, its out there, and its 30 seconds of research....

s_sherrell

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Oct 26, 2011
Chicago
Can I just say to those who have been working on the 'next great idea', stop it! If you want to make a great business do what Steve Jobs did. Look at what is already selling and make it better. The business world is littered with great ideas that never had a market. Find the market, find the products and services they already buy, and then make it better. Focus on that and you will be much closer to the fastlane.

Spikeroo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 17, 2011
Merritt Island, Fl
Sorry for not explaining, what I'm trying to say is, my invention/idea has not been made up yet. I don't know where to start when it comes to putting it into affect. I've searched the web, and have not found anything on my invention, so I know it will work.

s_sherrell

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Oct 26, 2011
Chicago
If there is nothing like your invention then I am not sure how you know it will work? Put up an ad on facebook target at your market. Tell them all the great things about your product as if it already exists. See how much traffic it gets. You could put a buy button on your test page, but really just start with your ad first and don't worry about that. To make an effective sales page you will need to write ad copy or hire it out. Don't waste the time yet. Spend about $20 and see the initial response. Even then you cannot say you know it will work, but you will be on your way.

Sorry for not explaining, what I'm trying to say is, my invention/idea has not been made up yet. I don't know where to start when it comes to putting it into affect. I've searched the web, and have not found anything on my invention, so I know it will work.

Sasha

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Oct 7, 2011
Denver
Spikeroo, I'm still very confused as to what it is you're asking.

From what I can gather, there is nothing like your invention/idea on the market and you are wondering how to go about creating it. If that's so, or if that's one of problems you're having, then there are a few threads on this forum that detail the journey of someone working with manufacturers to get their product or invention made. The most recent one I can think of is a cover for paint brushes.

I'm pressed for time but you should be able to find it if you look through some of the more recently updated progress threads and, if not, I'll send you the link when I can go look for it.

G-man422

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 5, 2011
Ohio, USA
Spikeroo, start by reading Stephen Keys book 'One simple idea'

I second that. I just started reading it this week and it is very informative. It would be very beneficial to you given your current goals, vision and plans.

SuccessInMind

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 3, 2010
Santa Clara, California, United States
Spikeroo, have you considered partnering up with someone? Try to find someone who DOES have the resources/knowledge to help you and offer some equity in return. In the meantime, have you defined your target market? That is, do you know exactly who you would sell this invention to? Also, do you know if they would even want it?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.