The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello! Meet 'dochustle'

dochustle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 1, 2012
Sunnyvale, California
Hi Everyone,

I thought it was about time for me to introduce myself. I bought MJ's book about a year ago and was inspired by the very first pages! It really help me crystalize my view on entrepreneurship and business in general. I also had entrepreneur blood in me, the book just helped me see things a bit differently. For that MJ, thank you!

My first business was in grade 6 selling candy. I would go to the bulk barn and buy bulk candy and than bring it back to school in tidy packages and sell it for a profit. "Kind Candy" as I called it, was eventually shut down by the school cafeteria ladies, who complained to the principle that we were taking away from the schools profits. I wasn't a happy 6th grader after that.

After that I had many different 'schemes' in high school from selling burnt DVDS to bootlegged chinese clothing. Most were 'illegal' but the way I saw it, if I got caught with something that minor, it would be a slap on the wrist. My parents eventually got suspicious about all these boxes being shipped in from China and shut the clothing business down on me, which was lucrative at the time.

Moving on from High School I got offered a scholarship to play university basketball. Basketball was my passion my whole life to that point and I took the money and went to university. While playing my coach offered me a job at his landscaping business, which he says he ran to help the players make some extra cash while playing ball. I took it, and worked there during my first year at school. After the first few months working for him my entrepreneurial blood kicked in and I thought " this is a pretty easy business to run, why don't I start one?"

So thats why I did. Prior to my 2nd year at university I started up a landscaping company with a partner. When my coach asked me if i was working for him again i told him what I did, and he didnt seem to pleased. We never really saw eye to eye after that and I quit the team to pursue my entrepreneur journey.

The business was a eye opener and I really think I learned a lot from it. Dealing with customers, marketing, managing employees- all skills I could apply to any business. Eventually come year 4 my partner and I had somewhat of a falling out and we decided it was time to sell the business. This was my first' fastlane' experience. We sold to one of our employees, paid of the debts and received monthly payments through his profits for months to come, all passive!

Around the same time I sold the company, I decided to drop out of university. I could see everyday how I was so different from everyone else. All I heard was talk of getting good jobs, doing so well in school and blah blah blah. I really never cared about doing well in school and I saw it as a sham.Why would I listen to these teachers who are 'teaching' a subject that for the most part they never really did or worked in. They went to university and got a 'degree' in these subjects now teach it to other kids. The biggest lessons I was learning was through my landscaping business, so I dropped out. NOT FOR ME!

A few months have gone by since I sold my company, and ive been reaping my rewards from the monthly payments but those are coming to an end. I've always felt like I have great ideas for business's and really want to get into the online world. Ive worked various sales gigs and even pizza delivery over the last few months while I plot my attack plan. I started up a security guard lead generation site for Canada but I felt this business wasnt 'the one', so I stopped focusing my efforts and money on it.

I am now in the midst of starting up an ecommerce store. Iv'e been inspired by biophases thread on here as well as countless others. I should be ready to launch my site within a month and its been a really cool experience thus far! I will be sure to let everyone see it when its up and running. I think the skills im learning right now while building this site will translate to a lot of good things in the future.

So today I am 22 years old, a university dropout and working only part time to focus on my new business. I have a passion for entrepreneurship and being in top psychical shape, a lot of confidence in myself as well as well doubts if im taking the right path. But the way I see it is id rather converge the road im taking, with the dreams I have. Id rather give myself a shot to make it big rather than play in the field of mediocrity.

This was really cool for me to write and I hope we can take this road together!

Dave

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
So in high school you were already dealing with companies in China. You've got quite a leg-up here.

Welcome to the forum! Hopefully you know that we do not condone illegal activity here and that it is your responsibility to know the laws.

dochustle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 1, 2012
Sunnyvale, California
Welcome to the forum! Hopefully you know that we do not condone illegal activity here and that it is your responsibility to know the laws.

I know! I shut that down a few years ago.. still a good experience though.

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
I know! I shut that down a few years ago.. still a good experience though.

I have experience in these matters as well. I agree it is a bad path to go down, but it really is a good experience. I will eventually get around to documenting many of my experiences in an intro.

Good luck to you. Read the forums and keep hustling.

dochustle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 1, 2012
Sunnyvale, California
Hi everyone .

Just wanted to update my thread a little bit. I will use it for a few updates as my journey goes on.

Right now i'm in the midst of building an Ecommerce website. It is a product used daily, with a different spin on how its sold. I should have my website up and running within 2 weeks and will post here for feedback and thoughts on my product etc!

I have outsource web development and graphic design to 2 separate and very capable people. It truly is a learning process but I know the knowledge I am learning will be so valuable for future projects or if this site is viable.

I took biophase's advice and am learning everything I can about SEO. It really is important to learn. From what i'm reading it can make or break a website.

I also thought about doing a online video blog (once a week or something) going through the journey of this website. Kind of the ups and down, doubts, successes, failures etc etc etc. What do you guys think of something like this? My goal of the blog would be to hopefully show there is alternatives to 'the slowlane', if I do become successful inspire others to show them that it is possible and also get feedback on how I am doing. Thoughts?

Ill come back when my website is launched!

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Hi everyone .

Just wanted to update my thread a little bit. I will use it for a few updates as my journey goes on.

Right now i'm in the midst of building an Ecommerce website. It is a product used daily, with a different spin on how its sold. I should have my website up and running within 2 weeks and will post here for feedback and thoughts on my product etc!

I have outsource web development and graphic design to 2 separate and very capable people. It truly is a learning process but I know the knowledge I am learning will be so valuable for future projects or if this site is viable.

I took biophase's advice and am learning everything I can about SEO. It really is important to learn. From what i'm reading it can make or break a website.

I also thought about doing a online video blog (once a week or something) going through the journey of this website. Kind of the ups and down, doubts, successes, failures etc etc etc. What do you guys think of something like this? My goal of the blog would be to hopefully show there is alternatives to 'the slowlane', if I do become successful inspire others to show them that it is possible and also get feedback on how I am doing. Thoughts?

Ill come back when my website is launched!

SEO is alot simpler now. Content is everything, dont waste your time on link schemes and the old ways of building links. Everything is about writing amazing content and spreading it around in social media these days.

dochustle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 1, 2012
Sunnyvale, California
SEO is alot simpler now. Content is everything, dont waste your time on link schemes and the old ways of building links. Everything is about writing amazing content and spreading it around in social media these days.

Thats what I am finding out! My focus is going to be on being the "authority" on information for area. I am going to have a blog, video tutorials, free ebook with purchase, articles and an extensive social media campaign. All of this is going to take time but it is my main plan on how to drive customers to the site. The product will almost be secondary to being this information hub, in hopes that once being informed, my product/service is the solution.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...