The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Having trouble figuring out the best way to create a website

Marketing, social media, advertising

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Hi, so I've spent the last few hours trying to do this. So far I have a URL and hostgator connected.

I have been googling around and can't seem to find what the best way to build my site is, there's so many options, all of them expensive. Wordpress seems to be the most common but from what I gather its $300 up front a year and what does it even do?

So basically the site will be a landing page, pictures, copy etc, and 3 product choices. After choosing the desired package it will take you to paypal where you chose how often to reorder, (monthly, 2 month, 3, 6 12, never.) After that you pay, I get your address and its all sorted. Have found a few themes that are ok on theme garden, they say they are based on bootstrap, I googled that and am none the wiser. It will also have an option to sign up for a free guide to capture email lists.

Pretty easy, if you know what your doing, you'd think there would be a decent guide but I'm struggling.

If anyone could offer advice, maybe we could skype, maybe theres a good link or good place to start, I'd hugely appreciate it and can repay you either by writing copy or giving you a few $$

Sorry if I seem lazy, I have been trying for hours and now I'm just pissed off with it

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I use Wix.com. I use their free service but they have a fully integrated paid eCommerce package. Very nice looking sites...all customization, and all drop and drag. Anyone can do it.

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
If you already have a hosting account setup with HostGator, they have 1-click install of the wordpress software. Running your site via wordpress costs you nothing. Avoid anyone who tells you otherwise. You can pay extra for wordpress themes, custom plugins and functionality, or whatever. But just to get up and running with full wordpress functionality, it costs you 0.

As an example. Given the purchase of a domain through someone like Namecheap.com, plus a purchase of a hosting package through HostGator.com for pennies, I could start a fully functional wordpress site without spending anything else. My last cost me roughly $10 to get online completely. Now, all that is to say, avoid services that are trying to gouge you on charges you don't need. Much of it is plug-and-play or equally as simple and intuitive.

Honestly, in this day and age, if you're self-starter, getting a site up should cost you only the amount of the hosting fee/package, plus the amount of registering the domain name (usually $7 to $20 total for both). Anything else is just bullshit, unless you're looking for something advanced.

Napoolion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Feb 8, 2014
Hey!

Wordpress is free. I dont understand on what you need to spend extra 300$ on since you already have hosting and domain.
Only wordpress premium themes and plugins cost and they usually pump up the site very well. Since you only need to use landing page, i would buy premium one from here: http://themeforest.net/search?utf8=✓&term=landing+page

I create landing pages with ithemes builder, but I quess they have some learning curve.

ask if you got any questions. :=)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Awesome thank you guys :)

The wordpress website made me think I had to buy the eCommerce package to get a Shopping cart which was $299 a year.

I have installed wordpress and all systems are go! If I have any more trouble hopefully you can help.

For anyone who has searched and has the same problem, this is what to do:
1. Buy a domain, $3.00 on goDaddy
2. Buy hosting on hostgator $7 a month for unlimited domains
3. You will get an email with 2 dns addresses from Hostgator
4. Go to go daddy, manage domains, and copy paste the dns you got in the email from host gator
5. Log in to your cp from the email in host gaot, install word press from the side bar
6. go to your url
7. Go to the login bit and login with the username you chose and password you got when you installed wordpress

Hopefully that saves some headaches. I'm going to bed, so tyred and frustrated, thanks guys :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.