The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Have You Ever Done YouTube Pay Per Click Ads?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Zac Headrick

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 30, 2014
St. Paul, MN / San Diego, CA
I have been using YouTube to market my business for the last year and have been getting good results in terms of generating leads and converting to sales.

I want to dive into YouTube Pay Per Click Ads. I'm struggling finding REALLY good resources out there on setting up and optimizing ad campaigns on YouTube.

I have found some basic surface level stuff and blog posts, but nothing that really goes deep.

There are basically three different types:

> Overlay - Small banner at the bottom of the video - Example: http://screencast.com/t/jxrbZLyT7
> TrueView - Video ad plays before the YouTube video - Example: http://screencast.com/t/SpAhl4uwi
> Search - Your thumbnail shows up on search results - Example: http://screencast.com/t/ujIVqO5AP
> Recommended - Your

YouTube doesn't even list all these in their official "Ad Formats" guide.

See their "official" video ad formats here: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2467968?hl=en

------------------------------
WHAT DO YOU THINK?

It appears to me like there is fairly limited information available on how to really maximize YouTube PPC.

Does anyone have any good advice? Have you done it before and gotten good results.

I know it can be a profitable marketing solution or some of these direct response marketers wouldn't be using it for as long as they have.

WHAT I'M GOING TO DO

Is anyone else interested in this?

I'm playing on really digging into this over the next three months and I could either start a thread or continue this thread with my stats, screenshots, and opinions on what is working and what isn't working.

Like I said before, organic YouTube videos have been a great lead gen tool for me and are very profitable. I'm already going to double down on my organic reach and adding more videos to my account regularly, now I want to put this on steroids.

If this isn't a topic that people are really interested in I will just save the time and not report the results, no big deal. But I figure if there is a lot of people really interested in this I may as well contribute.

I think this is fairly new territory for a lot of people and video is only getting bigger.

What would be best, start a new thread for the Guide to YouTube Pay Per Click Advertising or just continue this thread?

-Zac

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Steve A

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Apr 29, 2014
Hey man, I'm definitely interested.

My existing leads are 95% from facebook PPC and 5% Youtube organic, but the youtubers have a much higher average customer value than FB.

Creating some youtube campaigns is on my list of things to expand into, but I just cant get my head around how to set all that crap up.

So yeah, count me in! If I can figure out how to even get an ad to appear in youtube, I'll chip in with sharing my results too for what it's worth.

Stu_Hefner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Mar 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I'd suggest you test out the search ad feature if youtube videos are great lead generators for you. It only makes sense that the more people you reach with the videos then the more leads you will generate. I think you have to work too hard to steal away the audiences attention with true view or overlay videos. If you target the search right and make high quality videos you might find it very effective. Sixpackshortcuts has practically built his business doing this.

Zac Headrick

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 30, 2014
I'd suggest you test out the search ad feature if youtube videos are great lead generators for you. It only makes sense that the more people you reach with the videos then the more leads you will generate. I think you have to work too hard to steal away the audiences attention with true view or overlay videos. If you target the search right and make high quality videos you might find it very effective. Sixpackshortcuts has practically built his business doing this.

Hey Stu, thanks for the note. Do you have any hands on experience with this? The key with PPC is I don't like to make assumptions, I like data.

SixPackShortcuts actually does a TON of trueview in video ads. Every fitness video I watch he has an ad playing at the beginning, so it is obviously working for him.

Thanks for chiming in. Let me know if you planning on doing any hands on YouTube PPC and I would love to get some of your results in this thread.

Zac Headrick

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 30, 2014
Hey man, I'm definitely interested.

My existing leads are 95% from facebook PPC and 5% Youtube organic, but the youtubers have a much higher average customer value than FB.

Creating some youtube campaigns is on my list of things to expand into, but I just cant get my head around how to set all that crap up.

So yeah, count me in! If I can figure out how to even get an ad to appear in youtube, I'll chip in with sharing my results too for what it's worth.

That would be awesome. I'm definitely planning on starting some YouTube PPC this month so I will report back.

Why do you think Facebook is crushing your YouTube leads? Do you have a specific call to action at the end of your YouTube videos?

I would be happy to take a look at your YouTube account and give you some feedback on getting more YouTube leads. It is a great lead source for me (20/day on average) and they are great leads.

Steve A

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Apr 29, 2014
Ah yeah, I should have mentioned the reason for having so many more facebook leads is that I'm spending around $100 a day on FB ads, but my youtube leads are all organic.

I do have calls to action in my YT vids, I have those popup note things at points just before where the viewers drop off etc. I currently get 5-10 leads from YT per day and I average about $1 to $1.50 depending on certain factors per lead from FB.

I have a couple of videos that get a couple hundred views per day each, I don't really know what would be a good % of viewers to leads but at the moment its around 2% on mine.

Lol, saying that, I just noticed that the 1 video I was about to show you doesn't have those popups or a call to action at the end (the other highly watched one definitely has) cos it started out private for only my subscribers. I think you already gave me some actions, just by making me take another look at my account lol.

Thanks for the offer of checking my vids, my channel name is "Post Processing Mastery", I'd love to know your thoughts. Cheers!

Zac Headrick

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 30, 2014
Thanks for the offer of checking my vids, my channel name is "Post Processing Mastery", I'd love to know your thoughts. Cheers!

Nice dude, you are doing good. Here are a couple things I noticed that you can definitely add:

> Call to Action Outro Film a 20 second outro with your website link huge on the page and tell people what they will get if they go to your website and sign up. Thank them for watching and then TELL them to your website and sign up to get X. They have watched the whole video, they are interested, now you have to direct them and tell them where to go for more. Don't tell them to comment, tell them to go to your site. Then drop this Outro at the end of all your videos.

> Website Link: Add your website URL to the bottom of all your videos with a call to action. It should just go across the bottom throughout the entire video. Something like:

Get 7 of My Secret Photoshop Tips at: www.MyWebsiteLink.com (make this text as big as possible going across the bottom of your video).

> Call to Action Annotation: Throw an annotation in your video with an external link that takes them to your landing page. Phlearn does a good job of this
-- in order to have an external link you have to be a youtube partner, which is very easy to do if you haven't done it yet.

> Subscribe Roll Out: You can add a icon in the upper right of your video and when someone scrolls over a subscribe button pops out. Great way to add more subscribers and you only have to set this up once and it happens on all the videos. Check this out:

> Consistency with link and description. This video doesn't have anything:
-- add good detail descriptions in your videos so it helps with YouTube SEO. Also add as many tags as you can. This will help your video get discovered more. Go in a lot of detail exactly ALL the techniques you use in the video. You over over 2000 hits on this video and there isn't any call to action, that is some missed opportunity.

YOUR WEBSITE

You have a really good website. I like the leadbox at the top. You can get rid of your YouTube Landing page and just use your website. You will still be able to track conversions because they are coming from youtube.com in your analytics.

But, you need to improve the Call to Action on your home page. Tell them what they are getting in the headline, make it interesting. That is the most important line on your entire website: http://screencast.com/t/W0Nxj4Sn

For example this is pretty good, use a headline like you have on your YouTube landing page: http://screencast.com/t/Ubh7dXkBNd

Now you have that optimized and you can just send as many people as possible to your website.

Lastly, get rid of the LAST name field in your Opt-In box on your home page. That is to personal and you don't need it for your marketing. Your conversion rates will go up.

I could give you more tips but this is a start. Go back and optimize all your videos and do what you can to those and then make these adjustments on your videos going forward and you will at least double your opt-ins from youtube within a month after these changes settle in. You will probably increase it more than that.

Lets talk more, you are doing a great job and we can keep connecting on some of this stuff.

-Zac

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I'll be following this.
Always did good with video conversions and the like,
but I'd like to learn more about PAID stuff.

Please become the expert on this so I can ask you questions

Steve A

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Apr 29, 2014
Zac, that rocks man, thanks so much!

Rep transferred :)

I'll get on it, and in the meantime I'll be looking forward to figuring this PPC stuff out too

Zac Headrick

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 30, 2014
Zac, that rocks man, thanks so much!

Rep transferred :)

I'll get on it, and in the meantime I'll be looking forward to figuring this PPC stuff out too

Definitely, we will get this PPC stuff figured out.

Stu_Hefner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Mar 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hey Stu, thanks for the note. Do you have any hands on experience with this? The key with PPC is I don't like to make assumptions, I like data.
SixPackShortcuts actually does a TON of trueview in video ads. Every fitness video I watch he has an ad playing at the beginning, so it is obviously working for him.
Thanks for chiming in. Let me know if you planning on doing any hands on YouTube PPC and I would love to get some of your results in this thread.

I believe trueview is great for RE TARGETING your audience. And that's what Mike Chan is doing. It takes a good 7x on average of getting your message in front of an audience in order to build awareness. Re-targeting is the hottest thing in the digital marketing industry right now. What better way for 6packshortcuts to stay relevant then to feature in front of every fitness video you watch? Many other big corporations use these tricks too. This continually keeps him relevant in front of his audience. There is no where you can go without seeing Mike Chan - and rightfully so - he can afford to pay more for an acquisition and he can outbid his competitors. He has obviously got his sales funnel optimized and works with some very clever marketers.

And to answer your question, I'm not currently involved with paid youtube traffic. But thank you for starting this thread, it has sparked my interest. I currently run media buys and paid traffic to all sorts of other things and will be involved with a digital advertising/marketing brand in my city with big clients.

I have a few ad vouchers and I'm more than happy to experiment with these things. If you have anything to test lets put some skin in the game and do a case study :)

Zac Headrick

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 30, 2014
I believe trueview is great for RE TARGETING your audience. And that's what Mike Chan is doing. It takes a good 7x on average of getting your message in front of an audience in order to build awareness. Re-targeting is the hottest thing in the digital marketing industry right now. What better way for 6packshortcuts to stay relevant then to feature in front of every fitness video you watch? Many other big corporations use these tricks too. This continually keeps him relevant in front of his audience. There is no where you can go without seeing Mike Chan - and rightfully so - he can afford to pay more for an acquisition and he can outbid his competitors. He has obviously got his sales funnel optimized and works with some very clever marketers.

And to answer your question, I'm not currently involved with paid youtube traffic. But thank you for starting this thread, it has sparked my interest. I currently run media buys and paid traffic to all sorts of other things and will be involved with a digital advertising/marketing brand in my city with big clients.

I have a few ad vouchers and I'm more than happy to experiment with these things. If you have anything to test lets put some skin in the game and do a case study :)

Awesome Stu, I will be in touch. I have some basic YouTube PPC up right now but it needs to be optimized, I just wanted to test some really basic things.

I agree with you in Retargeting and TruView. I'm actually working on some videos that may work with TruView. TruView is a tricky game because you have to have the right type of videos. I'm sure I won't hit it on the first time but at least some decent ones to start out with.

Thanks the reply. I will keep you up to date as thing progress.

Zac

Steve A

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Apr 29, 2014
This conversation has prompted me to start checking out creating actual video ads and looking at what the options are.

I didn't even realise I could re-target people who have seen a specific video of mine and show them content network ads. Pretty cool huh!

Seeing as I do have a couple of vids already getting some organic YT traffic, I think this is a great place for me to start testing.

On a side note... Have you seen the video ad for Seth Rogen and Zach Effron's new movie? The ad starts with them both standing infront of the camera shouting "don't skip, don't skip, wait wait wait"...

Rather than trying to be clever, they just came right out and said it directly.

It worked on me!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.