The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gun Chat/Personal Protection: The Dangers Of Getting Really Rich

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Here are my views on pistol calibers:

If its over .380 it doesn't matter. In general pistol rounds are weak, and will leave about the same kind of wound. So buy whatever you are comfortable shooting. In general most people find a 9mm much easier to shoot than those horrible little Glock's with big rounds you guys are talking about.

Remember what counts are hits, a hit of any caliber is 100% more affective than a miss. Most of those little Glock's with big rounds are bears to shoot, compared to say a Glock 17...now that's a pistol you can get good hits with.

Also any defensive firearm should have a good quality light on it. Not a Kmart special, you need a real light and its not going to be cheap.

Lastly the worst thing you can do is buy it and let it sit in a night stand. A pistol is not a magical thing, you need to shoot it a lot to have any chance of actually being able to defend yourself with it. Take classes, practical pistol and combat pistol classes.

My go to defensive pistol actually isn't a 1911, I like more rounds. Its an FN Browning Hi Power in 9mm with hollow points. For awhile I was using my Beretta FS 96 as well.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Lol no one shoots from the hip. At least aim the gun along your arm. This isnt frickin scarface. Hahahahahahaha

Actually, there is a technique referred to as "shooting from retention". Gun is tucked in under the ribs out of your attackers reach while you beat them over the head with pizza box or whatever with your weak side hand.

Everyone should take a class with Mas Ayoob, at least if they have any assets. A bit arrogant but pretty much the top of the heap where the legal ramifications of the use if deadly force are concerned.

And another vote for the 1911 though I'd like to have Chuck Rogers build it.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Lol no one shoots from the hip. At least aim the gun along your arm. This isnt frickin scarface. Hahahahahahaha

Have you ever had real stress training or force to force? In the majority of self defense shootings you will be shooting from retention. That's essentially shooting from the hip.

The laser may help, but you are going to have tunnel vision and be scared shirtless, a light would help immensely in low light conditions.

We had a good discussion about this in papichulos @ BnP.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Thats why I like the crimson trace laser sight. Deep breath, center the laser dot on a reasonable target, and pull the trigger. With adrenaline blended with fear, I want every possible advantage I can get.

I used to think laser sights were for posers. Now I don't care. I will be a poser who lives. I'm not a purist, but the person on the opposite end of my laser site might disagree.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Thats why I like the crimson trace laser sight. Deep breath, center the laser dot on a reasonable target, and pull the trigger. With adrenaline blended with fear, I want every possible advantage I can get.

I used to think laser sights were for posers. Now I don't care. I will be a poser who lives. I'm not a purist, but the person on the opposite end of my laser site might disagree.

Vig, I agree on Crimson Trace. I know trainers who endorse them. Great as a training aid to. I got one a while back for my Springfield Micro-Compact. I hadn't realized that there is a tendency to think,"dot on target, squeeze NOW." Which is never good for accuracy lol. Took some adjustment but I'm better now. Lol

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
funny video, Biden is a complete jackass!

No political discussions.
No religious discussions.
No sigs until after 100 posts.
No trolls/haters.
No spam (If you're new and self-promote, it is SPAM!)

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I'm surprised nobody has brought up tactical LED lights.

If you shine a 500 lumen LED light into someone's face in the dark then they will be literally blind for a few seconds giving you valuable time to react appropriately or re-adjust accordingly. Remember your eyes have to adjust to amount of light they receive, and when you over feed it just like anything else then you have a temporary malfunction. Some of these even have strobe features that can be really unpleasant.

These lights are small, they are light, have tons of uses, they are relatively under $100 and they last forever.

I personally use a Glock 19, HK usp 9mil and a pistol grip compact shotgun for defense. I love the shotgun because I can alternate between birdshot, buckshot and slugs. Just in case the perpetrator is wearing bodyarmor.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
SoCal, I usually EDC a Fenux LD10 for that. Having used a 60 lumen SureFire 6p on someone once, I can attest to the use of light as a non lethal weapon. Guy tried to keep me from closing the door of my truck, so I shined light in his eyes and he pulled his hands off my door long enough for me to close it.

socaldude

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
SoCal, I usually EDC a Fenux LD10 for that. Having used a 60 lumen SureFire 6p on someone once, I can attest to the use of light as a non lethal weapon. Guy tried to keep me from closing the door of my truck, so I shined light in his eyes and he pulled his hands off my door long enough for me to close it.

I use a streamlight; 500 lumens. Super small fits in my front pocket. Very useful. I use it for every day carry.

Another cool light is the well known Maglite. A 3 cell LED maglite can also be used as a weapon, and you can put a "handle" attachment on it for "convenience" and easy use. HINT: it can be used as a baton :smxB: .

infinitus

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Sep 22, 2012
Perth Western Australia
I'm surprised nobody has brought up tactical LED lights.

If you shine a 500 lumen LED light into someone's face in the dark then they will be literally blind for a few seconds giving you valuable time to react appropriately or re-adjust accordingly. Remember your eyes have to adjust to amount of light they receive, and when you over feed it just like anything else then you have a temporary malfunction. Some of these even have strobe features that can be really unpleasant.

These lights are small, they are light, have tons of uses, they are relatively under $100 and they last forever.

I personally use a Glock 19, HK usp 9mil and a pistol grip compact shotgun for defense. I love the shotgun because I can alternate between birdshot, buckshot and slugs. Just in case the perpetrator is wearing bodyarmor.

I have a marlin bolt action 308, break action shotgun, .22 and an air rifle, which is pretty good for living in Australia

I really like the tactical light idea and will check that out....Does it work in day time?

socaldude

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Does it work in day time?

Not really because remember you eyes adjust based on the amount of light that is most widely available and if its daytime the effect won't be as devastating to your eyes as in the dark.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Not really because remember you eyes adjust based on the amount of light that is most widely available and if its daytime the effect won't be as devastating to your eyes as in the dark.

Slight plug here. If anyone needs tactical flashlights, this is me and my cousin's store: Pinnacle Flashlights: EagleTac 4Sevens Zebralight Nitecore Fenix JETBeam.

We used to carry Fenix and O light but have paired down the brands. The 4 Sevens lights are decent for the money.

I use a Fenix TK11, an Olight and an Eagletac light.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Slight plug here. If anyone needs tactical flashlights, this is me and my cousin's store: Pinnacle Flashlights: EagleTac 4Sevens Zebralight Nitecore Fenix JETBeam.

We used to carry Fenix and O light but have paired down the brands. The 4 Sevens lights are decent for the money.

I use a Fenix TK11, an Olight and an Eagletac light.

Why did you drop Fenix? I thought about setting up with them.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.