The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Foggles?

Do you suffer from "foggles"? Fogged up goggles.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

scottaj74

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
May 11, 2012
I've been tinkering with a project for over a year and I've finally slapped a rough prototype together for proof of concept....IT WORKS. I've also asked some friends what they thought and if they would buy one. They responded "yes, and YES". I don't want to say exactly what it is, but they currently isn't anything exactly like it on the market. There are sorta similar ideas and products, but this solves the problem from a totally different angle. The cost would be less and and the use would be more versatile.

So, my question to the forum is do you ski, snowboard, snowmobile or paintball? If so, do you suffer from "foggles" - fogged up goggles? You crash in the snow, you overheat, the next thing you know your $150 SMITHoakleys are completely useless and you can't see shite. Would you pay less than a $100 for a product that would eliminate this issue in less than 5 minutes? It can be reused over and over again with any goggle on the market. Rubbing your expensive lens with a cloth or rag doesn't do much and removes the anti-fog that is applied to your lens. This would eliminate fog between the lenses.

I actually don't have this problem personally, but working in the ski, snowboard and snowmobile industries I see this same problem at least a dozen times a day. It drives me friction' nutz waiting and watching you fuddle with your goggles not being able to see and crashing all over the place.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
I swim, I snowboard, and I race motocross and for all of these things I have to wear goggles- my snowboard and motocross goggles are anti-fog and I've had them both for over 3 years and I've never had any issue with them fogging over, and my swim goggles have anti-fog spray that works extremely well.

I've noticed that fog is an issue with really cheap brands, and once you get nice quality goggles, this isn't much of an issue (at least in my experience). I think if your product really is a product that doesn't already exist, than maybe it could be good. But as someone who uses goggles on a very regular basis- Once I invested in quality gear, fog was no longer an issue for me. Just make sure there is in fact a market for this product.

scottaj74

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
May 11, 2012
I'm glad you've had no issues, that' great.

I work as a backcountry ski guide and teach professional level avalanche courses to numerous skiers, snowboarders and sledders. Based on my own experiences and what I see, I think it comes down to heat and goggle management - I don't have an issue myself. BUT, I ski, snowboard, sled with many folks that buy top of the line gear, including goggles and I see lots of issues. What I usually see is lots of fiddling, goggles on/off/on/off/on/off combined with overheating and sweat/moisture combined with a face plant or two pushing snow and moisture into the googles. In the field, it's virtually impossible to totally dry them out until you get home. These actions causes fog as the lenses are constantly being subjected to different temperature gradients and moisture levels. Warm forehead or face, moisture in the goggles and a cold temperature on the external lens.....it creates moisture and fog much like cheap windows on your house in the winter.

But, if you don't have an issue....great job managing them.

Emanuel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 23, 2014
USA
I remember putting toothpaste on the inside of my swimming goggles when I was a kid and then rinsing them off. This prevented them from fogging up afterward. I'm sure it would work for snowboard goggles as well.

I wouldn't pay $90 when there are cheaper alternatives.

scottaj74

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
May 11, 2012
Thanks for the feedback folks. Just to clarify. Most high end ski goggles are in the $150-200 range. The manufacturers place an anti fog spray on the lens and recommend not using anything but a soft cloth to clean the lens as it may remove the anti fog. Toothpaste is quite abrasive and will scratch the soft plastic. A new lens is anywhere from $20-50. The real issue is most quality lenses are doubled walled plastic (2 thin lenses) sandwiched together with foam, most fog issues is build up of moisture between the lenses - somewhere a cloth can't get to. When I go the ski resort, there is often a line up at the heated hand drier blower with folks trying to dry their goggles out.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
298%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I snowboard, but I own expensive goggles. I rarely have problems with fogging....but they DO fog from time to time, especially if I am going really hard and getting knocked around like on Mogul runs.

I would pay for the problem to be fixed -- but I would need more context than "would you spend $90 on this?"

How does it work? What do I need to do to get it to work on my goggles? Do I need to take off my goggles, my gloves, and my helmet to apply some kind of spray?

Or do I apply them to the goggles once when I first get your product and I'm all done?

One is worth $0 to me. The other...maybe $90. Maybe more like $20.

Bowden

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 29, 2010
TAMPA, FL
This used to happen to me in Iraq with the ESS googles they issued us. Also hated it when sweat would get trapped inside.

Bowden

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 29, 2010
TAMPA, FL
Would've been nice if they had some kind of anti-fog spray for goggles/glasses.... hint hint

And it would cost the consumer a heck of a lot less than $90

EDIT - Just checked. Looks like there are some sprays out there. Man those would've been awesome to have back in the day... Grr

sboarding

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jul 30, 2014
How does it work? What do I need to do to get it to work on my goggles? Do I need to take off my goggles, my gloves, and my helmet to apply some kind of spray?

Or do I apply them to the goggles once when I first get your product and I'm all done?

One is worth $0 to me. The other...maybe $90. Maybe more like $20.

I echo all of these comments.

I do a lot of sports with goggles and often have issues with fogging. I dont think it's an issue with quality, although the higher quality gear fogs less. My issue is I get very hot very fast and sweat = fog. It's not that I'm out of shape at all, just wired different.
Anti fog spray works well. If it was something that had to be reapplied like a spray / wax, I use that and it's about $4, which will last all season. I also use the same products on my motorcycle visor - especially in rain/humidity.

Payden

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Mar 4, 2014
Lawrence, KS
I used to have this issue in Chemistry class. We had to wear goggles at all times while we were in the lab and mine would fog up so much I had to wad up some plastic glove and shove under there to create a gap so I could get some airflow. I know that couldn't be safe, but neither is mixing chemicals when you can't see. That being said, the goggles were only $5 themselves so no, I wouldn't pay $90 to make them anti-fog.

mgore714

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 3, 2012
You're asking the wrong audience. Go on a snowboarding, paintballing, army, etc. forum. Ask there. Those are your potential customers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.