The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fitness related website.. advise needed to finish.. Thanks!!

Christian

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 10, 2013
Hello all,

I've been toying with the idea for a blog/eCommerce store for fitness related products and could use a little feedback from the forum...

Background:
I currently work in the fitness industry selling equipment and have clients that request nick-nak type items that I don't have available with my company... and I am tired of telling my customers 'no' or sending them to Amazon.. so I thought of putting a relatively 'simple' website together to solve this little need and capturing the biz. In true sidewalker fashion I purchased the domain and sat on it.. and sat.. Then I progressed to slow lane style (possibly still sidewalker at this point) by getting the thing hosted via wordpress/godaddy and began playing around with some themes and what not. I'm not techy at all, so I taught myself a bit of HTML and CSS for relatively cheap ($30). Insightful but I am still not exactly ready to develop the site completely on my own.

I see great ideas for it (go figure)...

Where I need help:
I'm at the point of wondering if it is worth paying to having it developed. My time is limited working full time and raising two young kids. This is more of a side project, which would be awesome to turn into something bigger eventually but paying the bills takes priorities. Would like some feedback about those who have either gone with developers and tips for working with them, pricing, bartering, etc. (I'm fine with wordpress for the platform). The idea for the primary revenue stream is simple: affiliate commissions via amazon and would like to evolve to drop shipping the items where it makes sense.

Feedback welcome and thanks in advance..

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
It feels like you're asking more for permission (approval) than anything because you brought up your excuses (kids, bills) and questions that can easily be google'd ("how to set up an amazon affiliate site", "what's the best ecommerce solution").

Definitely go for it, even if you fail it's better than regretting not doing it at all. A lot of successful businesses were started because someone recognized a need in the industry they were working in, since that need may not be so obvious to an outsider - it's your competitive advantage.

Andrew C

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Feb 25, 2014
Central Florida, USA
Christian,
Based on what you just said:

I currently work in the fitness industry selling equipment and have clients that request nick-nak type items that I don't have available with my company... and I am tired of telling my customers 'no' or sending them to Amazon

The focus of your website should be to put THOSE people who inquire about these products into a list that you can market to.

That way, you can put them into an email sequence that drives them wherever you want.

Beginning with that end in mind, let's simplify what you need in terms of a website: You need an opt-in page.

Get a landing page done on FIVERR for about $15 (better than the $5 ones), and you can probably have it done today.

When the people call, with them on the phone, you can pull up your website on your mobile device.
Ask for their email address and enter it YOURSELF into the form on your mobile device while they are asking you about these products.

This is an opportunity to build a list of HOT buyers for FREE. You don't even have to buy any advertising!
(In my Alec Baldwin "Glen Gary, Glen Ross" voice) These people are literally BEGGING to give you their money!

All jokes aside...
The only obstacle I see is some sort of conflict with the people at work saying something, but if you do this right..
You can literally make serious money within days by following the steps above.
You have spent $15, and a few minutes time, and you now have a list that you can market to forever, and it's growing for free.

If I were you, I would do this today.
I wish you great success, my friend. :)

Andrew C

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Feb 25, 2014
Central Florida, USA
Oh, I forgot.
Be sure to use WORDPRESS for your site.

For the email form, get an autoresponder like Aweber (they have a $1 trial for the first month).
I would use an "email-only single optin" form that you can quickly enter their email into without needing them to confirm, since you will be on the phone with them.
Give the person setting up your landing page your Aweber login and let them create the form for you.

You are all set, write some emails in a sequence to communicate with the subscribers.
That requires much more explanation than this space allows, but there are a TON of email marketing tutorials online.

Are you signed up to any affiliate networks?
Amazon is the obvious one, but there are many more that offer fitness-related products.

Once you are registered with the affiliate networks, set up the links IN ADVANCE so you can send someone to buy that product IMMEDIATELY.
You may have a list of commonly-requested products based on your experience.

(A little more advanced, but you can use a wordpress plugin called "Pretty Links" to create custom links based on the product names like www.yourwebsitename.com/that-product-name)

AFTER YOU OPT THEM INTO THE LIST, (which you should do with EVERYONE you possibly can...)
Simply say something like "Sure, you can buy that product. Go to (www.yourwebsitename.com/that-product-name).
You can sit on the phone and let them check out right there.

BAM! You just got paid.

Spending a few minutes it takes to get this little machine working can make you money within days based on your unique situation of having FREE, hot buyer leads wanting to buy right now.

Success to you :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DianaPerk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Apr 17, 2015
Hi Christian,

It’s better to hire developer instead of applying DIY. You website is your marketing tool and only professionals know how to convey your message to your target audience with the use of correct technology. And if you are requiring more customization, expertise and support then hiring a professional is the wisest choice. Create the website that pay you for years.For any query feel free to ask

Adam Cerantivu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
May 10, 2015
Sydney NSW Australia
..It’s better to hire developer instead of applying DIY. You website is your marketing tool and only professionals know how to convey your message to your target audience with the use of correct technology. And if you are requiring more customization, expertise and support then hiring a professional is the wisest choice. Create the website that pay you for years..
Yes, sounds like a good idea. There maybe some forum members who can recommend a good developer that is more within your budget. I know with some of the fitness personalities they do tend to use overseas developers and they mention that one of the things to take into consideration is the 'time difference'

I have heard many of them mention "Oh, I have to get online at about 2:30am to speak with my developer", I am guessing that type of online discussion only happens once every few months (if that) so should not be a major issue if it saves you a lot of money and other times pretty much email should suffice for communicating your requirements as the project progresses. And some of the developers overseas may even assist their to develop an 'app version' of your website to use on iOS [apple] and androiod platforms, if you later on decide to go down that path

The countries that I have heard that have developers who are more budget friendly are: India, Romania, and (perhaps?) China. I am guessing there are also many other countries as well, and for some Australia maybe an option as well pending on the currency exchange rates at that very moment

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.