The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finish My Book and Publish

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013
Have you checked the page count for other books like your WIP? I ask because you're talking about a book that will end up to be between 200-250 pages, depending on whether you publish to CreateSpace and get real page count, or just to the ebook version, which will estimate fewer than actual count. I don't know what kind of thriller, i.e., what sub-category it will be, but I checked the top 15 or so medical thrillers, where our (@mossie's and mine) is #8, and they range from a low of around 295 to over 600 pages. Ours, at 320, is on the low end. If I'm not mistaken, it was over 100k words. My latest romance, at almost exactly 80k words, ended up with 292 actual pages on CreateSpace.

I don't want to discourage you, but if you're swinging for the upper deck, you might want to reconsider your anticipated word count. It seems that thriller readers want a meaty book.

I always estimate word count at 250 words per page (read that from an upper tier editor). My first book was a little over 45K and Amazon estimates at 179 pages, so very close. However, I use a lot of line spaces to break up scenes, so that might have something to do with it. But yeah, it may need to be longer than 60K-70K words. I'm sure I could hit 80K-90K or more, but it will take me longer and I worry about story pacing and dragging out a story just for filler. Based on my memory, I think you're right about longer word counts in thrillers. Most aren't under 300 pages. I will look into that.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
I worry about story pacing and dragging out a story just for filler.
Based on our experience, you're right to worry about that. We've found that the answer is to add plot twists and plenty of action spread throughout the book. I tend to write pretty spare scenes myself, and Mossie is always having to ask me to add more gore, or whatever the scene is missing. Usually my second pass nearly doubles the size of the scene. Here are the reminders I keep posted on my wall:
A scene must have at least two of the following elements: Advance the story, Provide new information, Move the reader along.
and:
How does it: Feel emotionally, Feel to the touch, Taste, Sound, Look or Smell: Show it, don't tell it.

Helps me to keep those in mind, hope it helps you, too. Race you to the top deck! :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.