The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

FBA and Importing Goods From China

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
You know, i think there is great money to be made dropshipping from china for the expensive items. expensive enough so that they are shipped via DHL or UPS, since delivery is fast (they would pay for shipping too). what do you think ?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SJVC

Go Make It Happen.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Jun 27, 2014
UK
Hi.
I'm seeing conflicting posts with items < and > 1000, which is it?
Are you looking for the more popular selling items, or the off the radar items?
This might be a stupid question, but when I look on Amazon, they are typically number 1-100? if I click best sellers.
Or, as an example, if I type sd cards (something that will have more than 1000 hits), then they all show, but I don't see any rankings listed. Even if I click on the item, I can't see that info. Is it a case of clicking most popular sort, then counting the pages, or am I missing something?
Many Thanks
Hello! I originally stated <1000 but someone else asked about >1000. So to confirm its best to look for <1000. For your second question I think I know what you mean... If you click 'sell yours here' the sales rank should come up, does that make sense?

You know, i think there is great money to be made dropshipping from china for the expensive items. expensive enough so that they are shipped via DHL or UPS, since delivery is fast (they would pay for shipping too). what do you think ?
Good suggestion. I haven't got any experience with dropshipping but in many respects it is an attractive business model if you can get a reliable supplier. And yes a fast courier would be needed to ensure customers were not waiting too long.

z6Evolved

[Danger Zone]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jun 25, 2014
VAB
Do you find it hard to compete with products that Amazon sells themselves or with big sellers? I've found a couple items I can make a great margin on but they're either sold and fulfilled by Amazon, or sold by guys with hundreds of feedback across dozens of items. The funny part is those guys are selling the same items I'm seeing on DHGate and slapping their brand name in the title. They don't even brand the product and most of them use the stock photos from the manufacturer. Go figure.

I want to take a crack at a couple of these items but I'm worried that competing with Amazon or a power seller like that will just end with me holding a lot of unsold inventory or taking a loss.

Luke1213

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 25, 2014
z6evolved I am new at the amazon sales but maybe I can help a little. I am in the process of branding a few items and getting them to amazon. The fulfillment by amazon is basically where a merchant sends his merchandise to amazon and then amazon packages and ships it from the merchants inventory. If you already know this then my bad for repeating.

Branding it and making it your own will be a benefit for you so this is a good step. If you see a product that uses stock images and average copy, how can you make your product stand out from the other guys? A couple of ways is by using original photos of the product. Hire a professional photographer to take some pics of your merchandise and use that instead of the stock pics that the other guys use. If you can't come up with great ad copy for your product that will have you stand out from your competition, then hire someone from elance or odesk to create great ad copy and have an advantage on that end. Good pics and copy will set you apart from the other guys competing for the same product.

If you are worried about sitting on a bunch of inventory that might not be sold, see if your manufacturer/supplier will sell you maybe 1/3 of your original order. Taking a loss might be part of the learning curve. Maybe this run you lose, then your next run you break even and then after your break even, your start to profit. It's all a risk but it is one you have to take.

SJVC

Go Make It Happen.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Jun 27, 2014
UK
Do you find it hard to compete with products that Amazon sells themselves or with big sellers? I've found a couple items I can make a great margin on but they're either sold and fulfilled by Amazon, or sold by guys with hundreds of feedback across dozens of items. The funny part is those guys are selling the same items I'm seeing on DHGate and slapping their brand name in the title. They don't even brand the product and most of them use the stock photos from the manufacturer. Go figure.

I want to take a crack at a couple of these items but I'm worried that competing with Amazon or a power seller like that will just end with me holding a lot of unsold inventory or taking a loss.
Hi there, looks like @Luke1213 has already made some good suggestions so I'll add too. I don't directly compete with Amazon a page they sell on, however if you have a separate page then you will be still be able to get sales for the same/similar product if you are cheaper or you can differentiate yourself in another way. I wouldn't worry much about other big sellers, they all started from scratch too so its case of being on top of your game from the start (ie great customer service etc). Yeah branding can be a funny thing sometimes on Amazon, in regards to the photos in some cases the manufacturers have taken them from sellers so don't always assume its the sellers taking it from the manufacturers. If you are worried about being left with a load of stock, see if you an order a really small amount, even if you only break even you will know next time when you order more that you will profit. Hope that helps!

Harley

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 9, 2014
Hi,
Do you generally use the stock images form the manufacturer, or retake/use professional images? and do you find it actually makes a lot of difference in sales?
Thanks

SJVC

Go Make It Happen.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Jun 27, 2014
UK
Hi,
Do you generally use the stock images form the manufacturer, or retake/use professional images? and do you find it actually makes a lot of difference in sales?
Thanks
I have a very little studio that I use with my DSLR. The background is never completely white so outsource that (elance) job so the background is pure white, you can get that done for like 10p a photo or something silly cheap

z6Evolved

[Danger Zone]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jun 25, 2014
VAB
Hi there, looks like @Luke1213 has already made some good suggestions so I'll add too. I don't directly compete with Amazon a page they sell on, however if you have a separate page then you will be still be able to get sales for the same/similar product if you are cheaper or you can differentiate yourself in another way. I wouldn't worry much about other big sellers, they all started from scratch too so its case of being on top of your game from the start (ie great customer service etc). Yeah branding can be a funny thing sometimes on Amazon, in regards to the photos in some cases the manufacturers have taken them from sellers so don't always assume its the sellers taking it from the manufacturers. If you are worried about being left with a load of stock, see if you an order a really small amount, even if you only break even you will know next time when you order more that you will profit. Hope that helps!

I didn't really explain myself well but you managed to answer my question anyway. I was asking more along the lines of how to compete selling a product that Amazon or another large retailer sells. If I understood correctly, you're saying don't use their ASIN (so it shows up as a "price option" underneath the Amazon offer or price leader) and instead use a fresh ASIN so my product gets its own page, right? And then focus on building quality for my product over theirs - good copywriting, photographs, etc.

That was what I figured but I didn't know if there was just so much competition against those types of products that it wasn't even worth it. I'm going to give it a try and see what happens.

Thanks again!

Harley

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 9, 2014
I have a very little studio that I use with my DSLR. The background is never completely white so outsource that (elance) job so the background is pure white, you can get that done for like 10p a photo or something silly cheap
Thanks. That's not a problem, as one of my slow lane jobs was pro Photographer. Doing the shot on white (like a stock image) is simple enough. My question was more on the lines if it's worth investing the time in having the product in more of a situation type shot and if this impacts sales/ranking? Like the attached - You could shoot the wine furniture on white, but it has way more impact this way.

I don't see much of the point of shooting on white, as most of the manufacturers have these images anyway. Why not just use those?
Appreciate the help.

Attachments

• _MG_1502r-t.jpg
    468.8 KB · Views: 66

SJVC

Go Make It Happen.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Jun 27, 2014
UK
I didn't really explain myself well but you managed to answer my question anyway. I was asking more along the lines of how to compete selling a product that Amazon or another large retailer sells. If I understood correctly, you're saying don't use their ASIN (so it shows up as a "price option" underneath the Amazon offer or price leader) and instead use a fresh ASIN so my product gets its own page, right? And then focus on building quality for my product over theirs - good copywriting, photographs, etc.

That was what I figured but I didn't know if there was just so much competition against those types of products that it wasn't even worth it. I'm going to give it a try and see what happens.

Thanks again!
Yup you got it, just entice those customer eyes! :p

Thanks. That's not a problem, as one of my slow lane jobs was pro Photographer. Doing the shot on white (like a stock image) is simple enough. My question was more on the lines if it's worth investing the time in having the product in more of a situation type shot and if this impacts sales/ranking? Like the attached - You could shoot the wine furniture on white, but it has way more impact this way.

I don't see much of the point of shooting on white, as most of the manufacturers have these images anyway. Why not just use those?
Appreciate the help.
What was it like being a photographer if you don't mind me asking? I have dabbled in photography but never got into it properly. In terms of your photo question I would say do it against white for the stock photo because (correct me if I'm wrong) the default photo has to be on a white background. But I would definitely suggest using a photo like you linked too - I'm sure that would help sales :smoking:

Harley

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 9, 2014
Enjoyable job, but slow lane. even if you are one of the lucky ones to have a successful million dollar gross studio (which I was nowhere near), you are working very hard for those dollars and with all the overheads, photographers I know with the successful studios where maybe having a new profit of $200K and working insane hours for it.
Tons of people buying cameras now and calling themselves pro and giving everything away on a CD for a few hundred bucks (crap photography, but some customers don't care, or know better).
Better to figure a fast lane way of getting some of their cash, rather than fighting against them. Then as MJ says, once you're in the fast lane, you can participate in the things you love.

SJVC

Go Make It Happen.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Jun 27, 2014
UK
Enjoyable job, but slow lane. even if you are one of the lucky ones to have a successful million dollar gross studio (which I was nowhere near), you are working very hard for those dollars and with all the overheads, photographers I know with the successful studios where maybe having a new profit of $200K and working insane hours for it.
Tons of people buying cameras now and calling themselves pro and giving everything away on a CD for a few hundred bucks (crap photography, but some customers don't care, or know better).
Better to figure a fast lane way of getting some of their cash, rather than fighting against them. Then as MJ says, once you're in the fast lane, you can participate in the things you love.
Thanks for the insight! Does sound very slow lane... maybe making a digital product in the photography field would be more of a fastline!

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Hit the "like" button guys, this guy has provided good value to you all and deserves more than $117

Luke1213

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 25, 2014
How do you handle your customs? Do you do it yourself or do you use a customs broker and a freight forwarded?

Fastlane Baron

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jul 6, 2014
Hey man, since you say ask you anything, I want to try and get started on this buy online and sell for more. What do you recommend I import from amazon? I want to do this to get some extra cash (gotta start somewhere right?) but truth be told I have to idea where to begin. What are the things that sell most easily in your opinion? I want to spend up 500-1000 usd on my first buy, something not too risky.

Alveko

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 18, 2014
Hey man, since you say ask you anything, I want to try and get started on this buy online and sell for more. What do you recommend I import from amazon? I want to do this to get some extra cash (gotta start somewhere right?) but truth be told I have to idea where to begin. What are the things that sell most easily in your opinion? I want to spend up 500-1000 usd on my first buy, something not too risky.

At least do a minimum of reading when you want to start out and sell on amazon, you can find some great sources(including this forum) that will give you an idea of what criteria you should keep in mind when searching for products. It will also provide u a greater picture of all the steps you will need to take after finding that potential product(s), it's all there on the interwebz.(most important stuff at least).

SJVC

Go Make It Happen.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Jun 27, 2014
UK
How do you handle your customs? Do you do it yourself or do you use a customs broker and a freight forwarded?
No broker or anything like that, just have to pay DHL when they turn up.
Import from Amazon? Do you mean import for Amazon? To be honest your questions are very specific, what do I recommend you import? Find something that sells then see if you can source it for a profit. Its only risky if you order too much (500-1000USD sounds like a lot for your first order) and if you don't research the product (look at its track record of sales from other sellers).

Luke1213

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 25, 2014
How much inventory are you receiving via DHL? Is it being shipped to US to an amazon fulfillment area or the UK?

This is my last hurdle before I pull the trigger
Thanks

SJVC

Go Make It Happen.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Jun 27, 2014
UK
How much inventory are you receiving via DHL? Is it being shipped to US to an amazon fulfillment area or the UK?

This is my last hurdle before I pull the trigger
Thanks
90% of what I order goes through DHL, you can also use china post air but that will take around 2-3weeks. Its shipped to my house in the UK then to a fulfillment center, good luck!

Fastlane Baron

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jul 6, 2014
No broker or anything like that, just have to pay DHL when they turn up.

Import from Amazon? Do you mean import for Amazon? To be honest your questions are very specific, what do I recommend you import? Find something that sells then see if you can source it for a profit. Its only risky if you order too much (500-1000USD sounds like a lot for your first order) and if you don't research the product (look at its track record of sales from other sellers).

No, I live in a small 3rd world country and everything is batshit expensive due to taxes. My plan is to import stuff buying from amazon, I have to pay an extra for the weight so heavy stuff aren't very profitable. Thanks for the reply I will research more on this subject.

Villain

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jan 26, 2013
Glasgow, UK
Thanks for taking the time to do this thread!

I am also from the UK and have been purchasing some products from dhgate and alibaba. I am getting hit with a 2.75% foreign currency fee for all my purchases though. I'm with RBS.

Paypal also seems to have foreign exchange fees involved although they are a little tricky to work out. It might be expensive on the seller end, which means higher prices for us.

What method do you use for your purchases that is cheap but also secure? I am looking into getting a separate credit card to use just for my importing business that does not charge an exchange fee. I have just seen one that even offers 0.5% cashback on purchases! This would surely add up if you were doing a lot of business...

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
im talking to a few manufacturers regarding a products with good margin but they want 200 dollars for shipping for 10 samples. Its about 10-11kg. Is this good price?

ddall

continuous self-improvement
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
402%
Dec 5, 2013
Toronto, ON
@mosdef

That depends on the product, it's weight, and your shipper. So the answer could be potentially yes or no.

Understand suppliers will charge more for samples than their MOQ price for the obvious reason of weeding out tire kickers.

Ask for total weight for shipment, and get quotes yourself from UPS/DHL/FEDEX etc...

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
the thing is this. The price of the samples i can live with but the price for shipping is really much!

SJVC

Go Make It Happen.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Jun 27, 2014
UK
Thanks for taking the time to do this thread!

I am also from the UK and have been purchasing some products from dhgate and alibaba. I am getting hit with a 2.75% foreign currency fee for all my purchases though. I'm with RBS.

Paypal also seems to have foreign exchange fees involved although they are a little tricky to work out. It might be expensive on the seller end, which means higher prices for us.

What method do you use for your purchases that is cheap but also secure? I am looking into getting a separate credit card to use just for my importing business that does not charge an exchange fee. I have just seen one that even offers 0.5% cashback on purchases! This would surely add up if you were doing a lot of business...
Your welcome man, atm I use a credit card for safety and am probably charged around 1% I think. Its not something I have thought about much tbh but now you mention it, it might be a good idea to reduce that cost. What credit card offers 0.5% back? (You can dm me if you want) cheers.

@mosdef, @ddall's idea about getting your own quote is a good idea. Ask them to send it china post air for you, should be MUCH cheaper/free.

Azif

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jul 4, 2014
You can always use a card that has no foreign transaction fees like that mileageplus chase card.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
Your welcome man, atm I use a credit card for safety and am probably charged around 1% I think. Its not something I have thought about much tbh but now you mention it, it might be a good idea to reduce that cost. What credit card offers 0.5% back? (You can dm me if you want) cheers.

@mosdef, @ddall's idea about getting your own quote is a good idea. Ask them to send it china post air for you, should be MUCH cheaper/free.

Haha just got this from another manufacturer:
DHL Shipping Cost10 PCS is 0.25 CBM and delivery to Sweden by DHL cost 370.00 USD

370 dollars shipping to sweden for 10 lamps, haha amazing :) How the hell are one going to make any profit on that

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.