The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fastlane Fitness Startup Update

Dmitri

Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 30, 2012
Hey guys its been 5 months since I last posted - quite a long time. I just wanted to update everyone on how my company is doing and was hoping to maybe get some great feedback from a community that I think is one of the best! Besides, so far you guys never disappointed.

Anyhow, for those who are interesting, here is a link to my last post from which you can find my original posts on this forum.
(1) Link

Quickly on some of the lessons I learned

It's been quite a journey and I most admit there are some things I would of done differently if I was to start all over again. I started building my fitness company almost two years ago. In the process I learned everything from scratch including marketing, web development, mobile development and all the other amazing things you can learn in the business world. But what I still haven't done which I would of done differently is test my idea sooner. Basically I invested an immense amount of time and energy into this company for the past two years, the entire time relying on faith and my belief that this idea will work. If I was to start all over again today, I would do things slightly differently. I would build a minimal product in a few short months and I would only include enough functionality that would allow me to quickly get my product out into the market, see if it works and then adjust my hypothesis based on the market's feedback. I realized this is the best way to go from a great book I read called The Lean Startup by Eric Ries. If you haven't read it I highly recommend it to everyone who is building an online company.

Where the company is today

I finished building my original idea a few months ago. Basically it was designed to allow anyone to sign up and get a complete fitness program (workout and diet plan included) customized to their specific needs for a small monthly fee. Immediately we had 100s of people sign up within the first week! I really didn't expect it and what ended up happening was that we simply couldn't keep up with the demand and create people fitness programs fast enough; plus not everything was working as great as I wanted it to. So I had to close the doors and rethink my idea. Then one day I thought to my self: what if instead of us creating the fitness programs, we could get other certified personal trainers to create their own, upload it to a marketplace and then use our fairly advanced platform to distribute their fitness programs to people around the world. This way, personal trainers would be able to create their own business using our platform and sell their programs on a monthly subscription basis. The benefit the customers would get is that they would be able to get a fitness program created by a certified trainer plus all the support and motivation they would need for a small monthly fee such as $10-20/month. So instead of paying about $360 a month for a personal trainer, they could get something in between having a personal trainer and no personal trainer.

So this is where we are today! We are going to start looking for personal trainers who might be interested in trying this out. If this idea works the first 100 or so personal trainers would have the greatest advantage since they will be the first and will have the most leverage.

What is the main benefit for personal trainers?

This is actually a very fast lane approach. The personal trainer would create a fitness program using our tools, creating a good one can take about a week or so. The program will have to be very specific to a certain group of people, For example: weight loss for women over 40. Then the personal trainer will put the program on the marketplace and the only other work they will have to do is answer client's questions regarding the program and give them useful tips and advice. Then lets say 100 of people buy the program in one month. If the program goes for $20 a month, that's 20 x 100 x 0.7 = $1400 a month for the trainer. Now imagine tens of thousands of people visit the marketplace, the personal trainer is likely to get much more sales and their earnings are likely to really increase. If nothing else, its a nice addition of income to their regular personal training jobs.

I would love to hear what you guys think about all this and would greatly appreciate your feedback. This is the first time I'm putting this out there and I thought what better place to start then this amazing community!

Also if anyone can please give me suggestions as to where I can look for personal trainers who might be interested in this, I will really appreciate it.

Here is a link to our site:
Link

Thank you!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

MamaD

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 5, 2011
Maryland
So, you have two target markets - fitness consumers & professional trainers? What's the main benefit for a personal trainer to use LL instead of just offering fitness plans on their own site?

The website is very clean. Is there a mobile app available or is it just mobile-responsive?

• Banned

Dmitri

Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 30, 2012
That's a great question and I updated the original post with an answer. The site at the moment is only mobile responsive but we are already half way in developing a native iOS app. The future of the website is definitely mobile.

So, you have two target markets - fitness consumers & professional trainers? What's the main benefit for a personal trainer to use LL instead of just offering fitness plans on their own site?

The website is very clean. Is there a mobile app available or is it just mobile-responsive?

Mexidan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Mar 28, 2012
Sorry for going off topic but what did u use to build the page software and template wise? Its very similar to what I am looking for style wise.

• Banned

Dmitri

Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 30, 2012
No problem at all. I started with a blank WordPress installation and custom built everything from there.

Sorry for going off topic but what did u use to build the page software and template wise? Its very similar to what I am looking for style wise.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Go to Youtube and build connections with those fitness people that have hundreds of thousands of views on every video they publish.

Join training forums...

• Banned

Dmitri

Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks for the great suggestions!

Go to Youtube and build connections with those fitness people that have hundreds of thousands of views on every video they publish.

Join training forums...

TOS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 25, 2013
Very intresting service. I showed it to my friend who is a personal trainer, he thought it looked cool and he was gonna study it more after work.

Btw. when you press sign up at your site, you are just taken to an information page. I assume this is itentional for now?

rkmalo1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 14, 2012
Chicago
Then one day I thought to my self: what if instead of us creating the fitness programs, we could get other certified personal trainers to create their own, upload it to a marketplace and then use our fairly advanced platform to distribute their fitness programs to people around the world. This way, personal trainers would be able to create their own business using our platform and sell their programs on a monthly subscription basis. The benefit the customers would get is that they would be able to get a fitness program created by a certified trainer plus all the support and motivation they would need for a small monthly fee such as $10-20/month. So instead of paying about $360 a month for a personal trainer, they could get something in between having a personal trainer and no personal trainer.

Love this! Really like your website as well. Good luck!

Jimbo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Sep 1, 2013
Great job! I like the site design.

One thing I would recommend is fixing up some of your breakpoints and styles as you hit smaller browser widths i.e. iPad, iPhone size.

It looks like you've made some aspects responsive, but it doesn't quite all flow correctly once viewed on a smaller device. I'd also recommend introducing some kind of responsive menu (flyout menu or similar).

Having a native iPhone/Android app is a great idea, but remember there will still be plenty of people who visit your website on their mobile first, before even knowing about your app. Having a fully functional responsive website is essential these days and will help reflect a professional brand image to all users how are sitting at home, browsing on their iPad on the couch.

T14

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Sep 16, 2013
Dmitri

Great job on taking action

I used to work in the fitness industry for about 10 years. I"ve worked in big box gyms, small private studios, had my own studio, one on one training, small groups, bootcamps, written up programs and even discussed/wrote out a plan to create a fitness app myself.

As someone who knows the industry (one that is FULL of misinformed "coaches" and uneducated wannabe's) and the art/science of creating personalized training programs for individuals, I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

I'll tell you though that any reputable trainer wouldn't bother signing up with an app like the one you're proposing. They'll have their own website. Even if hundreds of trainers did sign up, how would they be found? It would simply be luck of the draw that a user (who knows NOTHING about fitness) would click on THEIR workout plan. They wouldn;t know a good program if it jumped out and bit them.

My suggestion is to find a different approach or focus on beginning trainers- at which point, do YOU have the education to teach these guys? Liability for programs that injure the end user?

Just things to think about. These were the thoughts that went through my head when I thought about creating my site.

Take what I say with a grain of salt. After all I'm new around the forums so all i am at this point is words on a screen. But DO ask me any questions you may have about the industry/nutrition/programming/etc.

I'd be happy to help :)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Basically it was designed to allow anyone to sign up and get a complete fitness program (workout and diet plan included) customized to their specific needs for a small monthly fee. Immediately we had 100s of people sign up within the first week!

So you had confirmed revenues? If the market is giving you money, why switch the model around? Why not fix the challenges?

BTW, the site looks well designed and very promising.

K.Y.

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 4, 2013
Is the entire site/back end built on wordpress?

Dmitri

Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 30, 2012
Btw. when you press sign up at your site, you are just taken to an information page. I assume this is itentional for now?

It is, currently you cant sign up because the site is still under development.

Is the entire site/back end built on wordpress?

The site is built entirely on WordPress indeed. But I did a lot of custom work on it, and now that I have more experience I am realizing that even though WordPress makes so many little tasks a breeze, It would of probably been much more efficient to use a PHP framework instead.

I'd be happy to help

Thank you for the constructive criticism and the offer to help. I agree with everything you said and this is why we are currently adjusting our model to face the issues you pointed out. I will keep your offer in mind for the future.:)

So you had confirmed revenues? If the market is giving you money, why switch the model around? Why not fix the challenges?

BTW, the site looks well designed and very promising.

Hey MJ, thank you for the kind words. When we had people sign up none of them were converting, a lot of people were interested, but nobody actually paid. Many of them expect this kind of service to be free.

BTW, your book was the catalyst that got me going on this journey, you did a really good job with it, I really appreciate it.

Dmitri

Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 30, 2012
It sounds like you are currently in beta and testing before your official launch. What kind of marketing are you going to use to target new members and personal trainers? Also, will you confirm each trainer's certifications?

Our main marketing to attract new members would most likely be through Facebook ads. As for personal trainers, we will contact them individually, its not too hard to find personal trainers these days. And yes, I think it will be important that our members will know that all the personal trainers are certified and that we have verified it. But probably the only exception to this rule would be if the person is themselves in a great shape, like a professional bodybuilder for example.

Sorry for not answering your question earlier, I totally skipped it for some reason.

Ryllban

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 15, 2013
Love the website + the idea! Website looks so clean and professional.

And also, when I first started working out, I wanted something like this. Someone who knows this stuff and just hand it to you. Escpecially the food part, because I think many beginners F*ck up on that part + they don't know how much or what to eat.

Nice job!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.