The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

farmland or hunting/graise-land scenarios

scatterbrain

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Aug 23, 2012
anyone here have any experience with this, either by investing, or buy and hold? i have seen some local steals as of lately in rural parts, hundred acre plots for next to nothing. so here are a couple of scenarios to maybe get income from them

-large landowners out west are paid by the govt not to build so wildlife can roam.
- put a couple of cows, chickens and plant a plot of corn, buy equipment etc...
-put mobile homes on
-hunting/fishing camp

it seems farming is is incredibly tax friendly. and i know its hard work. but plenty of my relatives have been very prosperous in farming around here. some of the biggest name factory farms now, were only started with 5 pigs...

i searched the forum but not much came up

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Alana

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Nov 16, 2012
In the middle of a national forest (in N. CA)
I have a farm: I raise goats, ducks, geese and chickens (just for my family and I). I have over 200 acres in N. CA.
Here’s what I can tell you:

It is NOT tax friendly. I am just about ready to move to another continent because the taxes/regulations/bureaucracy are too much that even a small, simple farmer like myself who is just trying to raise her own food is having the govt agencies telling me in so many words that what I am doing and how I am living is going extinct and they want me in the city living a conventional life buying conventional food.

Yes, it’s hard work. All the time. Day in and day out. I have not taken a single vacation in 3 years. Either an animal is giving birth or a tree came down across the fence or (fill in the blank). Granted, it’s very rewarding too, but it is tough. This is a completely different level of ‘hard’ work that most people have never experienced in their lives.

Tell you what…come out here for a month and see if you can handle it. I’m do not want to come off as arrogant or threatening at all…we have interns come out for the summer all the time and many of them have their bubble bursted pretty quick when it comes to their notion of “oh, I just want a little farm and to live off the land’. We do exactly that…but they don’t count on the sweat blood and tears that it takes to get it going.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
There is a big movement towards urban farming, which is what I am currently working on. I will say that prior to buying my house and 1/3rd acre of land, I THOUGHT I wanted a big rural piece of land with a few acres for farming. No thanks, I will learn to master the biointensive techniquies that are prevalent in urban farming. Its just a way of learning to use less to do more. I've been studying this for a couple of years now if anyone ever wants to talk about it. My backyeard is 50% converted into raised beds......

830292_10200840755727143_1741180878_o.jpg

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.