The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Experienced publishers, I have a basic question or two.

germandude

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jan 4, 2016
Europe
Hey guys, I am a long time member here, just registered a new account as I had too much identifying Information on my old one.

Anyway, I have some questions for the guys and gals who went through the process of publishing on Amazon.

1. Should I publish under my own name if the book (non-fiction) I have written is of good value or should I use a pen name? When should one use a pen name and when a real name?

2. How do you make the initial push after releasing the book so it trends on Amazon Books and ranks well?

3. Do you just ask friends to review the book or send it to some people around the internet? What is your approach?

4. Why the hell don't we support each other on amazon by good reviews. Anyone up for making a group of people from here that will review each other? If there is none, let's start one and as someone should be in charge of organizing it and stuff, I am up for it if no one contests.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Madhu

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Sep 9, 2015
1. Use a real name when you are trying to establish yourself as an expert. Use a pen name to keep your privacy, or to reach a larger audience (as readers are often drawn to certain names, especially names that were popular in the year they were born [although this is more so for fiction]).

2. Depends. For a first time writer, it's best to just get the book out there and then start marketing. However, if you already have an email list or access to another interested audience, then you should start marketing in advance to build up interest.

3. Getting reviews is something I am struggling with! I think the best approach is to use all channels. If you know anyone who will leave a review, give them a free copy. However, make sure in their review that they received a free copy for an honest review. If they are a friend or family member, they should probably state that as well.

4. Amazon is cracking down on these type of review swapping groups.

germandude

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jan 4, 2016
Europe
One more question, if my books contains a lot of links linking to relevant websites that provide value to my reader, is there a limit to the number of websites I can link to.

Also, as I am from Germany, is amazon gonna take more of my money than it would be normally?

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
One more question, if my books contains a lot of links linking to relevant websites that provide value to my reader, is there a limit to the number of websites I can link to.
No, just don't make it spammy.

Figuring out where to promote, how to promote, should probably have your cover before you finish the book or a very strong idea of how you want it to look, your second book planned, how you want to price it, where you're going to sell it, if there is an audience, where is that audience, etc etc etc.

Or you can just upload it, get four sales, and get upset.

EricZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 18, 2014
Germany & California
Moin German dude!
Jup das Marketing fängt an BEVOR du dein Buch publizierst!
Für Sci-fi und Romance du kannst wohl dein Audience erst mit Amazon bauen, aber es ist immer besser wenn du mit dem Forschen anfängst.

Enough Deutsch,

You can start with category research - here is a free tool:
http://www.zbooks.co/p/the-poor-mans-kdspy-niche-finder-and.html

And THIS is the best way to get reviews - no more begging, this is TOP SECRET stuff here - worth MONEY!:
https://gumroad.com/l/reviews

In that book above there is a chapter called "The 800 Pound Gorilla" - read it!

Hope this helps
Eric

germandude

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jan 4, 2016
Europe
Hey guys one more question. Is it better to publish via smashwords or Amazon KDP? AFAIK Smashwords take 40 percent and Amazon less, however Amazon is limited with their distribution channel.
Also am I allowed to publish on smashwords and then on Amazon? I am not publishing on Gumroad so no need to mention it Eric.

Madhu

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Sep 9, 2015
Hey guys one more question. Is it better to publish via smashwords or Amazon KDP? AFAIK Smashwords take 40 percent and Amazon less, however Amazon is limited with their distribution channel.
Also am I allowed to publish on smashwords and then on Amazon? I am not publishing on Gumroad so no need to mention it Eric.
If you publish in Amazon KDP Select, you cannot publish anywhere else. Books in KDP select have the option of running promotions (e.g. 99¢ discount promotions and free giveaways). You can publishing in Amazon without using KDP select. However, as Amazon is the biggest platform, if you are starting off it's best to start with KDP select.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.