The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Entrepreneurship Major = I have a Dream

sapple89

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 9, 2008
Californiaq
Quick Introduction
Ever since I was a little kid, I have been fascinated with cars. As I started to grow older I no longer wanted to be an astronaut or NBA player. Instead, I knew my destiny lied in the Auto industry. Now I am currently studying to get my business degree and am in the early planning stages. (2 years early). As I attend college I plan to create and execute a well thought out business plan

My plan

My plan is to open up a collision repair shop here in San Diego, California. I'd love to call it " San Diego Motor sports as I plan to expand into the after market and accessory business. Unfortunately, I haven't started my third year in college so I don't know much about starting a business. I really love the name and am absolutely set on keeping it.

My questions
How can I patten, protect, or reserve this name so others can not steal my name?

more questions to come.....

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Protection might not be possible since the name is generic. Don't quote me though, I'm no lawyer and you will need to seek an attorney to find out.

However, you might be able to register the name as an LLC with your state/county -- then it is yours to own. The process is pretty easy here in AZ, not sure about CA.

neverfastenough

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Jul 17, 2008
Ca
Protection might not be possible since the name is generic. Don't quote me though, I'm no lawyer and you will need to seek an attorney to find out.

However, you might be able to register the name as an LLC with your state/county -- then it is yours to own. The process is pretty easy here in AZ, not sure about CA.

Filing an LLC in Cali is relatively simple. Just fill out a form and I believe it's a $75 application fee.

sapple89

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 9, 2008
Californiaq
I believe my name should be plausible even though its very generic. For example,
Unique Autosport is arguably the most well known company in the after market industry. How is it that they were able to reserve rights for their name?

I understand they trademarked their logo, but whats stopping someone else from starting a shop with the same name?

UNIQUE AUTOSPORTS

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Warning: Off-topic

Why do so many suggest LLCs?

It seems to me that S-Corps are superior for a B&M business? Am I missing something?

Ok

:eek:fftopic:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
welcome and from a fellow car enthusiast good luck with your idea!

For quite some time it was my dream to own a body/tuning shop but with a shop there's so much overhead and competition, best bet is to aim for the hi-end/exotic market and be the best as opposed to general tuning.

Then again as far as the potential there is a guy named "The Sheikh of Detroit" whose personal collection includes a Reventon and rivals those of the infamous oil sheikhs in the Middle East and he became successful from Corvette shops :)

sprite

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jan 7, 2009

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.