The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

ecommerce private labeling question

1up

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
May 11, 2014
Australia (Adelaide)
thanks to the quality amount of value from this forum I have been following the breadcrumbs that have been left from the members with more experience.

the goal within the next month will be to get my first product on amazon. All I am worried about is getting that first sale. the rest will come later.

a question I have (or more a concern) is regarding private labeling, what happens if someone copies your private label name? is there steps or precautions I should take to prevent this happening?

also another question is, say I have identified a sub niche that I could do well in with multiple products, but the first product I was looking into has 2 sellers of a similar item that have around 1000 reviews, then it drops off with the rest between 30-300 reviews. with the guys with a bit of experience on amazon, would if still be viable to enter this niche with this product. I know I could put together a much better ad/description then the other guys.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
a question I have (or more a concern) is regarding private labeling, what happens if someone copies your private label name?
Assuming your name is unique, you send a cease and desist or sue them

is there steps or precautions I should take to prevent this happening?
File for trademark - there is also whats called "first use" you can read into both at the links below (or google).
http://www.uspto.gov/sites/default/files/trademarks/basics/BasicFacts.pdf
http://tcattorney.typepad.com/ip/2012/03/trademark-rights-first-to-file-versus-first-to-use.html

also another question is, say I have identified a sub niche that I could do well in with multiple products, but the first product I was looking into has 2 sellers of a similar item that have around 1000 reviews, then it drops off with the rest between 30-300 reviews
The niche will be very competitive - if you are willing to spend the time (or money) you can definitely compete but if you don't have time... you won't write a better description and get market share. The description will have little to no influence on your ranking. You will need time or money to compete in the niche. The rewards will be good when you get there but it wont happen overnight

Last edited by a moderator:

1up

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
May 11, 2014
Australia (Adelaide)
Assuming your name is unique, you send a cease and desist or sue them

File for trademark - there is also whats called "first use" you can read into both at the links below (or google).
http://www.uspto.gov/sites/default/files/trademarks/basics/BasicFacts.pdf
http://tcattorney.typepad.com/ip/2012/03/trademark-rights-first-to-file-versus-first-to-use.html

The niche will be very competitive - if you are willing to spend the time (or money) you can definitely compete but if you don't have time... you won't write a better description and get market share. The description will have little to no influence on your ranking. You will need time or money to compete in the niche. The rewards will be good when you get there but it wont happen overnight

thanks,
for the cease and desist, should my brand name be registered first? i don't see this ever mentioned. i see the importance of private labelling with its own name/brand, but do you make up a name and call it that or do you make up a name and register it it somewhere?
say for arguments sake you have a dog collar and you brand it "doggy leash" if its not registered then technically someone else could copy that name also?

and as for a competitive niche, yes i understand its not a instant process, from what i gather its sales and reviews that greatly affect your ranking? i have a number of marketing ideas to help launch the product if i decide to go that route.

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014
thanks,
for the cease and desist, should my brand name be registered first? i don't see this ever mentioned. i see the importance of private labelling with its own name/brand, but do you make up a name and call it that or do you make up a name and register it it somewhere?
say for arguments sake you have a dog collar and you brand it "doggy leash" if its not registered then technically someone else could copy that name also?

and as for a competitive niche, yes i understand its not a instant process, from what i gather its sales and reviews that greatly affect your ranking? i have a number of marketing ideas to help launch the product if i decide to go that route.
Once you get a seller account, Amazon will ask you if you want to register your brand. Do that. You will be the only person who can sell under that brand.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
I have a feeling you either did not read or did not understand the links I sent you. I don't think you should be worried about this before ever making a sale, if you are really worried about this you should speak with a lawyer and explain your situation in full.

Once you get a seller account, Amazon will ask you if you want to register your brand. Do that. You will be the only person who can sell under that brand.
This is not true - others can still sell under your brand.

1up

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
May 11, 2014
Australia (Adelaide)
I have a feeling you either did not read or did not understand the links I sent you. I don't think you should be worried about this before ever making a sale, if you are really worried about this you should speak with a lawyer and explain your situation in full.
this is correct, i hadn't gone through it last night before i posted, but having gone through it now it clears up the concerns i had, thankyou

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.