The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Don't sit on an idea....

Idea threads

TOLDUSO

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Nov 29, 2008
New Orleans
So early last year sometime, I get this brilliant idea... I won't bore you by going into all the specifics of how or why I thought this thing up because it is all irrelevant. Especially now... lol.

So, getting to it, the idea was based on helping ease the daily routine for people with diabetes. I do not personally have diabetes, but the thought was, with everyone on the go these days, it becomes increasingly harder and harder to go about daily life the old fashioned ways. For diabetics, that involves constant scheduled monitoring of their blood glucose levels, their diet, and in a lot of instances, insulin shots. This involves setting alarms, timers, logging your meals, yada yada yada...

My first idea was to script an app (iPhone, iPad, etc) that would monitor all of this based on user input and would be easy to use on the go. It could also have built in reminders and alarms for BG testing and shots. The benefit for the diabetic was clear and, even better, for the doctor :smug2: it would provide a lovely digitized log and graph of your patients BG levels, diet, etc. so that you could more easily see what was and wasn't working as far as insulin and diet. I looked into it some, and found that (of course) this pretty well already existed. Someone had beaten me to it... No big deal... What can I do to go above and beyond what is already available...

I thought about it for a few days when it finally dawned on me that, while the app was a great tool, it still required a lot of user inputs to work. Why not make that automatic? The way to go about that, I realized, was creating a BG tester that could plug in to the iPhone or iPad that would automatically log your BG level into the app. This would provide that much more streamlining to the whole thing and, would be the first of its kind. I looked into it some and found that there were a few bluetooth enabled testers that worked through certain phones, but they weren't very mainstream and not a lot of people use them. Blah Blah blah... Life went on, I got busy with rowing the oars in my 9 to 5 and dealing with family; You know, the whole typical slowlane thing.... and the idea, while occasionally nagging at me, never quite seemed to be put on the front row of things to pursue. It's almost embarrassing thinking now that I had a potential multi-million dollar idea that would be a legitimate benefit to people on top of that, and that I let it slip away by getting caught up with rowing the oars at my "good" job. It is even more likely to have been a big hit given that Verizon is launching the iPhone early next month, bringing millions of new people into the Apple world....
:smx4:

Either way, a few days ago, I found out that Sanofi-Aventis, which is the company that makes Plavix, Ambien, Allegra, and a number of others, has a product under review by the FDA that they hope to get approval for soon. Yeah, you guessed it... It comes complete with the free app too, which is how I, too, had planned it. :coffee:

Apparently, it has been going on for several months, but just got around to me hearing about it.

Here's a link to it... yay... iBGStar

Granted, this company had a lot more "girth" in getting something like this done the right way, whereas I would likely have had to consult companies that already produced digital type BG testers and would have had to come up with (and pay for) schematics and designs that would be iPhone/iPad/iPod compatible... Then patenting, then.... You know the drill.... It doesn't really matter though. All of those things can be done. It might not be smooth sailing getting things like that done, but my boat never left port to start with: And that, my friends, could/would have made all the difference.

Don't let things slip through the cracks. If you have something you want to pursue, do it right now. Tomorrow becomes tomorrow becomes.... :nono:

Also, what I really want to pass on, is that I learned that "routine" is the real enemy. Routine is a trap that consumes your daily lives and ideas. If it weren't for it being so easy to get caught up in the vicious cycle of daily routine, and getting caught up in what I was "supposed" to be doing, I would have been able to, instead, pursue what I "wanted" to do.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
Great post and I am happy to see you took a lesson from the experience! I too have had plenty of ideas over the years that I wish now I had pursued (Im sure everyone on this forum has had several). As MJ always says, ideas are worthless. Action means everything. Speed+++ to you for a thought-provoking thread.

Best of luck in the future! :)

TOLDUSO

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Nov 29, 2008
New Orleans
Great post and I am happy to see you took a lesson from the experience! I too have had plenty of ideas over the years that I wish now I had pursued (Im sure everyone on this forum has had several). As MJ always says, ideas are worthless. Action means everything. Speed+++ to you for a thought-provoking thread.

Best of luck in the future! :)

Exactly, and that's why I didn't write this as a "Hey that was my idea!" type thread. It's all irrelevant without action. Like I said, my boat to wealth on this particular instance is still in dry dock. It's more of a lessons-learned scenario now, and hopeful that it may spark others to get started effective-effing-immediately on whatever idea they may have.

Thanks for the Speed++ :thumbsup:

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
I think we've all had ideas that others have executed and succeeded. Use it as a confirmation that you are on the right track so it gives you confidence to take action on the next idea.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
So to prove it to yourself that you learned the lesson, take action on an idea THIS WEEK. Do something....research, put up a site, start a prototype, write a business plan, something. It is easy to say lesson learned, but often you will use that lesson in reverse unless you break through at the next available opportunity. Take action and do something today. It will prepare you for when you have the next great idea and give you confidence to do something about it when it occurs. Go!

S

stranger

Great post. I wasted out a few briliant ideas too. Because I wasn't sure that I would be able to do a job myself. Now I watch how my ideas became successful projects for others.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.