The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Childrens toy and baby products finished. Basic plan, needing analysis.

Genium

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 6, 2013
My mom is a creative woman, and she has created two nifty products that I think would do quite well in the childrens toy industry and baby accessory market. She has sold them at her church and sold 5 in a day. I cant get too much into the product, but the childrens toy is cool, colorful, fun, popular, easy to store, and solves a basic need with the activity it involves. The baby accessory solves lots of small issues that one might have with their baby in a car seat in the car or in a shopping cart for example.

They both are cheap to make, around $5 from the craft store in materials, and manufacturers would cost even less.
They both sell from $25-$40.

My questions are:

1) What is the best way to test the market? Is Facebook a good way, asking friends and other parents if they would buy the product? Or, make a webpage and when the customer clicks purchase, it leads them to a page saying the product is not available, but sign up to be notified when it is?

2) Would this product need to be licensed? How?

3) After testing the market, and making the company name, how can this process be done? Link to a thread thats already covered this?

4) We have the finished product or 'prototype' so would that save on a manufacturers prototype development cost? What are some good companies for crafty things, they are made of cloth, not plastic.

5) After manufacturing, would huge crates be shipped to our house, and then we start selling with low inventory at first, shipping ourself, and then expanding? Would a pre-order be a better idea?

These are the questions I hve right now, any feedback would be appreciated, mainly constructive advice on what to do.

I want to take action, I think these would do pretty good in the market.

Thank you. Tyrel

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Make a basic website about the product with all important information and good pictures. Set up to sell on amazon, personally I wouldnt mess with facebook, Amazon will be much easier. Send all product to amazon for them to use FBA, which just means they will pack and ship all the products. They take about 15% for referral fees and then maybe $3 for FBA service (shipping, packing, storing (fees can vary depending on how large product is)).

Then all you have to worry about is promotion and selling, you can do some stuff to drive sales through amazon, you can also use Pinterest which is where I would go for this product as it is your perfect market.

Hope this helps you

Genium

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 6, 2013
Make a basic website about the product with all important information and good pictures. Set up to sell on amazon, personally I wouldnt mess with facebook, Amazon will be much easier. Send all product to amazon for them to use FBA, which just means they will pack and ship all the products. They take about 15% for referral fees and then maybe $3 for FBA service (shipping, packing, storing (fees can vary depending on how large product is)).

Then all you have to worry about is promotion and selling, you can do some stuff to drive sales through amazon, you can also use Pinterest which is where I would go for this product as it is your perfect market.

Hope this helps you

Definitely helped. Thanks man. About setting up the website...Should I have the product from a manufacturer or the product on hand right now? Can you give any advice on toy manufacturers? Alibaba?

Amazon will work great I think, that would save a lot of headache right? Would the manufacturer work through me to Amazon, or what?

The promotion and driving sales is easier said than done but that shouldnt be too hard. I can utilize Pinterest like you said, create short professional videos showing the products, share the product link on facebook, attend craft conventions, etc..

One last thing. If this turns large scale like this will I need to patent it or do any legal things like that with the product?

Thanks a bunch!

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Definitely helped. Thanks man. About setting up the website...Should I have the product from a manufacturer or the product on hand right now?
I dont understand this question

Can you give any advice on toy manufacturers? Alibaba?

You can consider alibaba, i know with baby products a lot of parents are scared of foreign based products especially for babys. Not knowing your product I dont know if this is an issue but I would consider American made.

Amazon will work great I think, that would save a lot of headache right? Would the manufacturer work through me to Amazon, or what?

Yes in all likelyhood the manufacture would ship to you and you would ship to amazon. Some products will require extra work on your part to prepare it for amazon. So you will probably want to receive them. although in the future maybe your manufacture can prepare them in amazons terms. For instance amazon requires labels for their fulfilment service there may be other depending upon your product.

One last thing. If this turns large scale like this will I need to patent it or do any legal things like that with the product?

A patent for what? I dont know your product or its features so I am unsure how I could give any good advice here. You should probably research what ever you think is protectable.

The promotion and driving sales is easier said than done but that shouldnt be too hard. I can utilize Pinterest like you said, create short professional videos showing the products, share the product link on facebook, attend craft conventions, etc..

Yes videos are a good idea. There are also tons of mom blogs out there that you can send product to for promotion, giveaways and hopefully others will buy. There is a lot of potential ways to promote it

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Alana

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Nov 16, 2012
In the middle of a national forest (in N. CA)
Read the Book One Simple Idea by Steven Key (he has two versions....read them both...one is for licensing and one is for creating your own start up). They both have all the answers to your questions.
Consider flea markets/farmers markets/crafts fair. There is where you'll find your target audience (women...with kids...who have money to spend).

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio