The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best way to find tech cofounder and developing web prototype help

brob742

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
So, I have a tested (unbounce.com) website idea that I am going to fully pursue.
Does anyone have any advice on places where they have had success in finding technical co-founders for their business? I live in the Bay area, so I am going to network at some different meetup groups in Silicon Valley, but other than that, any good resources? I know there are some tech cofounder matching sites, but just curious as to see what others have had success with.

Also, when meeting with developers, what is the clearest and most articulate way to present my idea? Should I take some time to learn how to put together a prototype using axure.com? I have heard some good things about the site. I just want to be as prepared and as impressive as possible when meeting with developers. Any other tools you guys know of that puts together solid web prototypes without being technical?

Thanks so much,

Rob

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Nathan Moreno

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 2, 2012
So, I have a tested (unbounce.com) website idea that I am going to fully pursue.
Does anyone have any advice on places where they have had success in finding technical co-founders for their business? I live in the Bay area, so I am going to network at some different meetup groups in Silicon Valley, but other than that, any good resources? I know there are some tech cofounder matching sites, but just curious as to see what others have had success with.

Also, when meeting with developers, what is the clearest and most articulate way to present my idea? Should I take some time to learn how to put together a prototype using axure.com? I have heard some good things about the site. I just want to be as prepared and as impressive as possible when meeting with developers. Any other tools you guys know of that puts together solid web prototypes without being technical?

Thanks so much,

Rob

I'm not an expert, nor do I pretend to be but my thought on sharing ideas is have some NDA forms and Confidentiality agreements ready beforehand if you're going to be sharing proprietary information with developers.

Also, what are the co-founder matching sites you are talking about?

Thanks,
Nathan

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI
Find meetings on meetup.com around web development, php, ruby, pytyhon, etc. Sit in on a couple meetings and find people you get along with. Get beers/coffee after the meetings and network from there.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I would recommend you find one in college. If you are not in college, JUST go to any college and find one. Post a wanted ad at the career advising center. Attend some of the entrepreneur meetings.

I don't know how big entrepreneurship is promoted at any other schools but at MY State University, Entrepreneurship is promoted like CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY. Which is kinda relieving after constantly hearing: get a good gpa for law school! get an internship! blah blah blah.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I like axure but, as far as I remember, was kinda expensive, no?

But yeah, I think you are in the right path. Prototype your idea and get quotes on it.

Also, why do you need a cofounding partner?

Are you the "ideas" guy and need a developer to build it for you?

If so, get estimates on sites like elance or scriptlance.com to get an idea of how much would it cost to have it built.

Maybe you don't need a co-founder....

brob742

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
I like axure but, as far as I remember, was kinda expensive, no?

But yeah, I think you are in the right path. Prototype your idea and get quotes on it.

Also, why do you need a cofounding partner?

Are you the "ideas" guy and need a developer to build it for you?

If so, get estimates on sites like elance or scriptlance.com to get an idea of how much would it cost to have it built.

Maybe you don't need a co-founder....

Other than axure, what are some other mock-up/prototyping tools to create an easy storyboard? I am absolutely non-technical, so the easier to use the better.

Correct, I'm the "ideas" guy, but hopefully also turn into the "execution" guy. The nature of the site will be pretty complex on the back-end, so I feel like a tech co-founder will probably be the better way to go. At least that way, I can keep costs down initially and also adjust on the fly like I'm sure we will need to.

huy

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 7, 2012
Have you tried Photoshop? I know a lot of web designers like to use it for site mock ups.

brob742

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Have you tried Photoshop? I know a lot of web designers like to use it for site mock ups.

I have not tried it. Would it be so terrible to draw it out by hand, or is that not so acceptable for developers?

huy

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 7, 2012
I've developed a site, but have never worked in industry. With that said, it seems that most developers who do contract work prefer a well-designed mockup simply because it will be less hassle for them later. They don't have to deal with clients not liking the design because they can just give the clients exactly what they ask for.

You're looking for a cofounder, however, so this might be different. Hopefully someone with more experience can give us some insight into this as I'm curious as well.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Draw it by hand and scan it. Email the images to them.

That should suffice. Or at least it works for me.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Draw it by hand and scan it. Email the images to them.

That should suffice. Or at least it works for me.

Old school. I like it. Thanks.
lol, thx.... I've even have received sketches by fax.... hey, whatever works, no?

These days, people can draw it by hand, take a pic with their smartphone and send it to you by txt message.

The important thing is to be able to provide a clear, graphical representation of what you want to accomplish.

Good luck.

czach41

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Oct 11, 2007
Denver
Are you a Mac guy?

I've used Keynote to create some basic mock ups. It may help you (it is mac's equivalent of power point but it has more advanced features).

Keynotopia was built with apps in mind, but you can use it to mock up your website as well.

Cheap and easy to use.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.